Guest rustybin

moving to adelaide

Guest rustybin

my wife is trying to get me to move to adelaide (from scotland) worried about not gettin work out there( im a tiler and shes a nurse) how long does it take to get visas

where abouts to rent accomadation and will it be worth it, i need you guys to convince me also i have two boys aged 12 and 3 will they enjoy it.

Hey, try searching the forum as there are lots of threads about your question. When you ask 'where to rent accommodation' - it completely depends where you work, how far you're prepared to travel to work and what you're interested in - city, beach, hills (more 'green' countryside) etc - maybe give us some more details about your priorities so we can help you more.

Personally I can't imagine committing to moving a family to the other side of the world without at least having a couple of weeks holiday there first to get the feel of it yourself but each to there own... are you able to come and do a 'recce'?

As for 'how long does it take to get a visa' - it could be weeks or years depending completely on which visa you go for, your age, skills, if you apply yourself or use a migration agent etc - it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question.

As for will your boys enjoy it - no idea - do they enjoy living in Scotland? Imagine there would be things I'd love and hate about living in many destinations around the world... but stand out things about SA for young people in my mind would be more of an outdoors lifestyle, the beach if they're into that (or would be into that in a warmer climate!) - apart from that lots of things are very similar to the UK.

Maybe give a few more specifics and then we can help you more =)

Guest rustybin

thanks for reply, we are looking to rent in a nice beach area maybe about 20 min from adelaide itself would need good public transport links just till i get sorted until i get own transport been told aldinga beach nice area ,we are very outdoor family and love the sunalso Been told adelaide is a very upcoming place with plenty of construction jobs available but would like to here from someone who lives there

No idea on the construction jobs I'm afraid... I'm sure the Seek website would have stats on employment rates per sector? I'm a beach lover too - I'm in Glenelg which has the largest area of shops, cafes, bars etc as well as the actual beach - about a 15-30 min drive to the CBD (12kms) and 35 mins on the tram which runs 6am-midnight every day. For me that's the most convenient suburb in terms of public transport as many bus lines finish after office hours or run infrequently on weekends. However Glenelg is one of Adelaide's most expensive suburbs for housing. Aldinga is a fair way further south - about 45km south of the CBD - not sure on driving times but lots of people on here are from that area so will be able to help.

Personally Aldinga is a beautiful beach but for me I prefer being a closer (and cheaper taxi ride!) to the city, but depends totally on your lifestyle. For a family I imagine it'd be great and as I said heaps of families on here seem to love the southern and southern beach suburbs. You have a huge choice of beach areas - anywhere from Largs Bay (north west of city) right down to Aldinga and beyond to have a look -check out realestate.com.au for rental prices, the Adelaide Metro website for public transport links and search through the forums on here as there are heaps of threads on suburbs etc.

I love Adelaide but it's a personal decision... for me the sun, outdoor lifestyle, amazing cultural scene (for a tiny city it has many excellent festivals, good live music and a fantastic theatre scene), excellent and affordable fine dining, local wineries, beautiful countryside for camping weekends and walking year round and the ease of living are huge plus points... however sometimes I miss London and the buzz, excitement and availability of silly things like the shopping there and how much is always going on. Adelaide can seem a bit dead - wandering round the city on a Tuesday night in winter shocked me when I first moved here - it's a bit of a ghost town compared to towns/cities in the UK. I was also shocked how cold winter is - a lot of people come expecting 30 degrees 365 days a year - not so - there are 4 'proper' seasons in Adelaide, and you feel the cold more here (no central heating, poorly insulated homes, homes designed primarily to keep cool).

You say you're an outdoorsy family - definitely lots of opportunities for sport, camping, hiking etc in some gorgeous spots both close by and further away from Adelaide... but only you can know!

Guest Jennet
    No idea on the construction jobs I'm afraid... I'm sure the Seek website would have stats on employment rates per sector? I'm a beach lover too - I'm in Glenelg which has the largest area of shops, cafes, bars etc as well as the actual beach - about a 15-30 min drive to the CBD (12kms) and 35 mins on the tram which runs 6am-midnight every day. For me that's the most convenient suburb in terms of public transport as many bus lines finish after office hours or run infrequently on weekends. However Glenelg is one of Adelaide's most expensive suburbs for housing. Aldinga is a fair way further south - about 45km south of the CBD - not sure on driving times but lots of people on here are from that area so will be able to help.

Personally Aldinga is a beautiful beach but for me I prefer being a closer (and cheaper taxi ride!) to the city, but depends totally on your lifestyle. For a family I imagine it'd be great and as I said heaps of families on here seem to love the southern and southern beach suburbs. You have a huge choice of beach areas - anywhere from Largs Bay (north west of city) right down to Aldinga and beyond to have a look -check out realestate.com.au for rental prices, the Adelaide Metro website for public transport links and search through the forums on here as there are heaps of threads on suburbs etc.

I love Adelaide but it's a personal decision... for me the sun, outdoor lifestyle, amazing cultural scene (for a tiny city it has many excellent festivals, good live music and a fantastic theatre scene), excellent and affordable fine dining, local wineries, beautiful countryside for camping weekends and walking year round and the ease of living are huge plus points... however sometimes I miss London and the buzz, excitement and availability of silly things like the shopping there and how much is always going on. Adelaide can seem a bit dead - wandering round the city on a Tuesday night in winter shocked me when I first moved here - it's a bit of a ghost town compared to towns/cities in the UK. I was also shocked how cold winter is - a lot of people come expecting 30 degrees 365 days a year - not so - there are 4 'proper' seasons in Adelaide, and you feel the cold more here (no central heating, poorly insulated homes, homes designed primarily to keep cool).

You say you're an outdoorsy family - definitely lots of opportunities for sport, camping, hiking etc in some gorgeous spots both close by and further away from Adelaide... but only you can know!

Good advice and knowledge given here