Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

Visa in passport or grant letter?

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

I never really thought about sending our passports off to get the visa in them before, as all the DIAC stuff goes on about it all being electronic now and there being no need for it but have read that other states require the visa stamp in your passport to get driving licenses etc and was just wondering if we're going to come up against this issue in Adelaide when it comes to sorting out all the paperwork etc when we first arrive. Has anyone managed to do everything fine with just the grant letter and plain old passport?

Ta muchly,

The stressed one! :arghh:

From recent personal experience, I would definetly recommend getting the visas put into your passports. It's very quick and easy to do, and it's one less thing to worry about. You will have more than enough on your minds without wondering if you will have visa issues.

I don't think you would have any problems without them put in, but I would not risk it. Our passports/visas were scrutinised very closely when we landed in Melbourne. At the time, I was so glad that we had sent them off to get the visas put in. The previous 24 hours had been stressful and emotional enough.

Anything that lowers the stress is worth doing.

Hope all goes well.

Paul

Guest pixie7

Yeah we have read some people saying its much easier to get things done. We got our visa label in passport- only took a few days

Guest teamV

We sent our passports off and had the visa stamped in .If nothing else it means you can have a look at it now and then, to remind you that you have it and were all your money went:smile:

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

Cheers guys, something else to add to my list of things to do tomorrow then!

What airline are you using? Some give a double baggage allowance for an unstamped 1st time visa. We've booked with Singapore air and getting 40kg. Get email confirmation though.

We sent our passports off a few weeks back on a Friday afternoon and got them back on the following Tuesday morning.

Visas in your passport are not necessary but they look nicer than a printed A4 email and are convenient for ID in places that can't scan your details.

For the price of 2 recorded delivery envelopes we thought it was worth it. With so many sheets of paper to take with us I was afraid of losing the actual confirmation letter/email.

For validation/one way flights you should be able to get 40k luggage allowance from SIA and Cathay Pacific - Quantas also has a special extra weight allowance

Guest guest7008

hi-we got our visa labels put inn our passports - it just means there are in there ready for all to see - easier we thought for id purposes etc and saves having to carry around letters etc that could easily get lost - sent them off to the Australian High Commission and they were returned 4 days later - free of charge - just the cos tof the special delivery envelopes - def worth doing and also nice to look at the visa labels!

Guest AngPhil

We've done ours this week, it's nice to have them in there it makes it feel more real :)