Guest boybarrs

can anybody help me?

Guest boybarrs

Hi

I am moving to Adelaide Feb 2012.

I am currently working in the UK for a defence contractor called Thales.

Could anybody tell me if there is a Thales located at Edinburgh Science Park or within that area.

Work are dragging their feet.

Any tips for when we arrive would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

You may struggle to get security clearance to work for a defence company in Australia. Unless you have something to offer that cannot be found locally then you may have to wait until your a citizen before working in Defence.

I got lucky working at BAE by working on an overseas contract where security clearance wasn't needed, but once that work had dried up I was pretty stuck.

Guest boybarrs

AussieRob

Do you still work for BAE?

Previous Thales members off staff have transferred to Oz, without any problems.

I was hoping to transfer myself, but I cannot get a clear answer from anybody if there is a Thales site at Adelaide.

Hi

You can transfer Security Clearance between UK and Oz although it isn't easy!

Make contacts on LinkedIn (its big over here) and try to contact people from Thales - pm me if you need details but I have some Thales links on my profile although they all seem to be in Victoria!

Good luck

Jo

No sorry, I moved into Automotive before I was pushed. As I say I couldn't work on Commonwealth projects without clearance. There was 1 English guy who the company jumped through hoops to get clearance for, but that was because he was an Aircraft engineer, even then it took 9 months. There are admin jobs where you don't need clearance, but most jobs will.

If you can get clearance you will be laughing as there are a lot of defence contractors in the north of the city, Raytheon, BAE, Saab, Boeing, Lockheed, AWD, plus others....

No sorry, I moved into Automotive before I was pushed. As I say I couldn't work on Commonwealth projects without clearance. There was 1 English guy who the company jumped through hoops to get clearance for, but that was because he was an Aircraft engineer, even then it took 9 months. There are admin jobs where you don't need clearance, but most jobs will.

The current international agreements between UK and Australia allows the transfer of a "live" security clearance Like I said it is difficult and a lot of HR advisors are not aware of the regulations or procedures. There is a simple form to complete by the Employer to set the ball rolling - the problem is actually with the backlog of work by the Company conducting the actual transfer and validation of clearance but it is possible (and lengthy!)

Guest Mitchell

I currently work for BAE in IT not on a project and so don't need clearance. I've been told I can get it but it's a huge hassle do they won't unless it's really needed. Once I'm officially an Aussie they'll just put it through as it's useful. If you can find a support role or a project that doesn't require clearance it's all good :)