Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest8040

Who can sign SS forms?

Guest guest8040

Just after some advice. About to send SS forms of and I just don't understand blurb about who can witness the signatures to quote 'witnessed and Signed by a Notary Public, Justice of the Peace or any Government or other official authorised to attest the authenticity and accuracy of information in

this pro forma.'

Asked my agent what this meant in terms of professions and she repeated the above! I don't know any solicitors personally and have no idea what a Notary Public is. Any advice gratefully received!

Guest Adelaide_bound

If its the front cover of your SS, you can get anyone to witness your signature btw - ie your neighbour or a friend, as long as its not family. I didn't get anyone 'proper' to sign anything so far - got my GP friend to sign my copies of qualifications for my teacher skills assessment, sent copies to SA SS, but not certified and got my best friend to sign the front cover of the SS application to say I was who I said I was.

With regards to the NP, JP, Solicitor thing - the Justice of the Peace is (generally? don't know if only/always) a magistrate at your local Magistrates court - if you google your town and Magistrates Court you should be able to get their contact details - or on here :http://hmctscourtfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/

If you call them up they will let you know when you can go and get them done - I was under the impression it should be free (being a public servant etc) but my local magistrates charges £25 PER SHEET! :o!!! (so a cost of around £500-600 for me for my teacher's registration needs).

The Notary Public is generally a solicitor, or someone in a solicitors' office (ie they don't have to be a solicitor) who holds the Notary Public qualification/oath (not sure if it is a simple oathy thing, or an actual qualification they do). So basically contact a local solicitors' office for either the solicitor or Public Notary Officer.

Personally I found that a bit hard as all the local solicitors I could find via the internet looked so dodgy I would rather my kitten sign the papers lol - luckily someone on here gave me a personal recommendation.

BTW - You may find if you have house insurance you have a free 30 mins with a solicitor or something as well though, so whilst they might not be able to sign the paperwork on that benefit, they also might, worth looking into at any rate if it saves a load of notes! :)

Guest guest8040

Brill thank you. I've since found out a registered Chartered Accountant qualifies and luckily my friend is one - phew! It's bizarre as the sheet doesn't ask them to print their name or verify who they are so how do they know it's someone who fits the criteria??!!