Subclass 119

Guest donna mac

Guest donna mac

Hello

My husband had an interview the other day. It was not about a job yet but visa available for the job. In various emails my husband mentioned that my parents were looking to come over with us. The agent said we could all come over(whole family). What he did say was that we had to prove that my parents were dependant on us. Has anybody been through this before and what is to be classed as dependant.

Donna

Hello

My husband had an interview the other day. It was not about a job yet but visa available for the job. In various emails my husband mentioned that my parents were looking to come over with us. The agent said we could all come over(whole family). What he did say was that we had to prove that my parents were dependant on us. Has anybody been through this before and what is to be classed as dependant.

Donna

Hi Donna Mac

You would need to show that your Parents are more dependent on you financially than on any other source of finance and that they have been dependent in this way for at least 3 years. DIAC are notoriously reluctant to accept this proposition if the people concerned come from a First World country. However, contrary to popular myth it is NOT necessary to show that the Dependants would be destitute in their own country were it not for the financial support obtained from their relative. One merely has to demonstrate more financial dependence on the relative than on any other person or source.

That said, in considering whether or not your Parents really are financially dependent on you, DIAC would want to know whether they would be eligible for any other sort of migration instead? Particularly, would they become eligible for Parent migration in due course?

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/

The main query with Parent migration is whether or not the Parents would be OK on the Balance of Family Test:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/39contributory_parent.htm#g

My own mother has a Contributory Parent visa subclass 143 if this is any help. My sister and I dealt with it by ourselves - Parent migration is usually very straightforward and I see no point in chucking money at migration agents for something that you could just as easily do by yourselves.

Before I waste your time on any more waffling, please could you tell me as follows:-

1. Would your Parents be OK on the Balance of Family Test?

2. Are both of them in reasonably good health?

3. How old are they respectively, please?

4. Are they British? If not, where are they from, please?

Cheers

Gill

Guest donna mac

Hello Gill

Thank you for your reply.

yes they would be ok for the balance of family test as i am an only child.

My parents are both 62 I would say they are in reasonably good health.

Yes they are british. My dad retired earlier than planned and basically ran out of money they have had to sell the house i lived in most of my life. So we knew that was going to go against them. They have looked at the parent visa but the price frightens them.

They don't depend on me financially. I fill all forms or paperwork in for them as they are not very good at reading & writing.

Thanks Donna

Guest donna mac

Our plan was that they come over on a 12 month long stay visa and keep renewing it until we were in a position to sponsor them. There would be nothing in the UK for them at all.

Our plan was that they come over on a 12 month long stay visa and keep renewing it until we were in a position to sponsor them. There would be nothing in the UK for them at all.

Hi Donna

Thanks for your replies. In the short term, I think it makes a lot of sense for a prospective Parent visa applicant to make at least one lengthy visit to Australia. DIAC tolerate the idea because especially with Parents, they have not chosen Australia themselves. They wouldn't even consider moving to Oz if it were not for their child/children and any grandcubs. Therefore I think it makes sense for the Parents to visit for long enough periods that they get used to the routine of living a normal life in Australia rather than just rushing around seeing the sights, as it were.

In the longer term, the "Cheap Parent Visas" thread on here might give you some food for thought:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/4509-cheap-parent-visas-part-i.html

I think the main thing is not to worry. It is not possible just to go to Oz for 12 months and then immediately get another 12 month stay as soon as the first visa expires but it is possible to do enough to make the separations bearable, I can promise you that. I should know because we have long experience of the whole saga with my own mother. Separations seem appalling when you think about them in advance and in the abstract but it is never as bad as you think it is going to be, you will find.

Personally, I also think it is quite a good idea for the Parents to return to the UK at least once and for at least 6 months. On their own in the UK, they have time to reflect on their experiences in Australia, to discuss the possible future for themselves privately together, in their own time and they have a chance to renew frienships with any relations or friends in the UK. Parents give up a lot when they move to Australia because it isn't their own dream, if you see what I mean. It is worth taking the whole thing slowly and 3 years is no time at all - time whizzes by, in my experience!

Cheers

Gill