Guest oldyorky

new to south aus

Guest oldyorky

:nah:moved here from WA. hate gardening now i have found the soil here is like a brick, any green thumbs out there.

Quite a few (but not me unfortunately!) - you need Stevo! If you haven't found it yet also, there is a fantastic garden centre up at Virginia (not that far from Parafield Gardens, heading north) called - funnily enough - Virginia Nurseries. Huge place, great prices and helpful staff I've always found.

Guest oldyorky

Thanks for the info. every one I phoned could not deliver mulch, will try Virginia. which was what some one told me i needed to dig in to break down the clay. so need to find a spade man next.

Thanks for the info. every one I phoned could not deliver mulch, will try Virginia. which was what some one told me i needed to dig in to break down the clay. so need to find a spade man next.

You need gypsum to break down clay (mulch and other organics can bring in more microbes to stir up life a bit, but they won't break down the clay itself much). When you've got the soil good, a layer of mulch on top helps it retain moisture and keeps both roots and the various things that live in the soil a bit cooler.

Jim

Guest oldyorky

Thanks Jim, guess thats bunnings, just spread it around yes? that will look like I know what I,m doing and keep her inside happy. Ron the pom.

You will need to dig it in so it starts to break it down can take a while to work its not an overnight thing you will have a nice garden in a few years you could always use native plants that are used to that type of soil.Good luck with it

Thanks Jim, guess thats bunnings, just spread it around yes? that will look like I know what I,m doing and keep her inside happy. Ron the pom.

Turn the clay over and apply the gypsum. Break up big clumps of clay (best not to do it when it's either very hot - not that you'd want to! - or very cold, but most of the yeear is fine). Depending on what you want to grow, add some general purpose fertiliser or soil conditioner. Baiscally you need to try to get good organic material in the soil that will encourage microbes which in turn encourage a whole lot of other life. These little creatures - particularly worms - open up the soil far better than anything else, but gypsum gives a good starting point.

Jim