Guest Guest6899

plug changes on UK electrical goods

Guest Guest6899

Hi, our container is coming next week and we have lots of electrical items with uk plugs on, we have adaptors but no where enough. Hubby has looked in Bunnings and you can buy plugs but they dont have a fuse inside. Does anybody know if they are compatible? Really dont want to burn down our new wooden house in the first week i dont think the landlord would be too happy!! :eek:

Lisa

Hi, i changed all ours over with bunnings/mitre 10 plugs and everythings fine. The plugs have a rating on the packet when you buy them so just make sure the plug matches the ampage of the fuse you take off the brit plug. Still got the old brit plugs in a cupboard as a momento (how sad)!

Andrew

Guest Guest6899
    Hi, i changed all ours over with bunnings/mitre 10 plugs and everythings fine. The plugs have a rating on the packet when you buy them so just make sure the plug matches the ampage of the fuse you take off the brit plug. Still got the old brit plugs in a cupboard as a momento (how sad)!

Andrew

Wonderful, thank you.. was worried that hubby was going to burn us down in the first few days :wink:

Fuses in plugs is a UK thing. Adds another means of protection prior to the breaker at the board tripping. Wouldn't worry about it - the fact that you can simply over-ride a fuse in a UK plug with any piece of metal goes to show it's not really necessary. Change away! Except of course those plugs with built in transformers!!

I brought some 4 gang extension leads and just put an adaptor on the end for my many UK electricals.All is fine,but i realise if there were a fire due to electrics insurance would probs be invalid.English plugs are far better quality IMO than their flimsy OZ counterparts.

Guest monkey-74

For insurance per posses you should get them changed by a qualified electritian and get a certificate of compliance then there will be no problem.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Yeah they don't have fuses in plugs down here, which I think is crazy. When I bought my big plasma telly for $500, the salesman tried to sell me a "surge protector" for like, $300! I told him I was gonna use a UK extension lead with a fuse in it, which threw him completely.

You take out extra cover with contents insurance etc against things blowing out (motors etc)..... or you could juse use a fuse.

Aussie plugs are well flimsy - not as bad as US ones but nowhere near as solid as ours.

Guest Guest6899

Thanks all for the information, we have loads of multi adaptors so will change them over. hubby has done one already and so far so good.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Best way - use UK multi-blocks - you only change one plug (or buy adapters from K-Mart for 9 bucks each) and everything is protected by its original UK fuse.

Guest monkey-74

The fuse in a uk plug doesn't protect the device it is only there to protect the cable going from the device to the plug. If the device went wrong the fuse should blow stopping the cable from catching fire. Very good safety device but won't stop a surge or your tv from blowing up.