Guest Paula H

Adelaide - North or south

Guest Paula H

whoooooo

visa granted on 5th Dec 175 - very happy & excited.

HOWEVER

although I have been researching Adelaide for the past year, I find myself going round and round in circles! How do people really decide on where to live if they havent been out to oz before? I have friends who live North Adelaide so I found myself researching north, Wynn Vale, Golden Grove, Redwood Park.

Then I thought id look at some places south (just incase my OH found work closer south). I have looked at Port N, Aldinga, Mclaren Vale to name a few (properties in Aldinga and Mclaren Vale were lovely btw).

So do I find a couple of area's north and a couple south, then drive to these places when we are out? When do I look at schooling seeing as though we dont know where we will move to.

This is the most exciting and hardest thing I have ever done.

Coming over with 3 children (aged 11, 9, 2) so really do not want to get the area wrong.

Apologies for waffling :chatterbox: have so much on my mind lol

try not to stress over those things, its prob best to get here then drive round and you will soon know which suburbs you feel more comfortable in, you dont need to get the kids in school in the first few days of landing, so slow down, take it all in, try and enjoy those first few days a little and things will fall into place, it is very stressful worrying where to go and panicking about schools, but really theres no need to worry, most peeps tend to take a tour of the suburbs they research and then base their decisions on what they see, you get a feel for a place i think pretty quick, keep an open mind and you will be just fine:)

enjoy your last weeks/months where you are and good luck when you land in adelaide:)

I would say it all depends on where the work is you don't want to go north when your working south and vise versa until you get a job its hard to pick somewhere to live if you can fix a job out while your in temp accommodation gives you a better id ear what areas to look at.

1. Work - find out where you'll be working, or if you can't do this soon enough, at least where the greatest chance of finding employment in your field is

2. Rental - once you have sorted out (1), look for a rental in your price range, number of bedrooms etc within sensible commuting distance of (1)

3. Schools - once you've sorted out (1) and (2) check out local schools

You might need to rearrange (2) and (3) depending on the ages of your children - lots of state high schools have catchment areas and you have to prove you live in the area to get a place, not so vital for primary level though, so if you have a particular high school your kids want to go to, concentrate your search for a rental within the relevant catchment area - you'll still have to do (2) first though...

As in the UK we have the same north south divide.

Do you favour city, hills or beach? A lot of people say beach but in reality but you are never too far away from one unless perhaps you choose the north east suburbs. The South is still developing fast and is popular because of the expressway and extended rail access.

Areas around the Port are also seeing much regeneration but this appears to be the oldest part of the City. Glenelg/Brighton are popular with tram links to the City but the further South you go it seems you get a little more for your money. The Hills can get cold in Winter but do get a few more 'gully' breezes in hot weather.

Do you want to be in a similar area to the one you are currently in back in the UK?

If you are looking for jobs that would be a sensible priority depending on how much you want to travel each day.

There are loads of good schools all over the City and Metropolitan district so 'gut' reactions as you drive around can help narrow it down.

Just to add what others have said, wait until you get here and see where the jobs are - have a good look round then decide. Both areas have thier good points.

Must say though I've been here over 20 years and its only on here that I've ever heard of the North/South divide - none of my friends (Australian and English, from North and South) have either.

Jenny