Nette

Car insurance in the UK

Does anyone know of any UK car insurance companies that will recognise the 4 years no claims bonus that I have build up in Australia?

Many thanks for any suggestions :smile:

A fair few should. They do paperwork for people leaving the UK to take regarding no claims so it should work the other way. It did when I last came back from living overseas.

TBH I'd just visit all the big insurance companies websites, read the small print or email them direct and have it in writing. Direct Line, AA, the banks have their own insurers these days and so on.

Also, fwiw, 4 years no claims won't get you much money off these days. The days of insurance going down in price year on year as no claims built up is long gone (thanks to all the non insured people and claims made etc). Every year in the past 7 or 8, even though I've never claimed in 23 or so years of driving, my insurance has gone up and I've had to shop around to find a better deal a fair few times now. Check out the car and get quotes for insurance before you buy it. Otherwise you may find yourself stuck with an extortionate insurance bill for a crappy car just because its in a high insurance group or some such. Consider the smallest engined car you can get away as its cheapest on insurance, tax and running costs. Even a 1L engine in a modern car these days is not so bad for zipping round town and stuff. And loads cheaper on fuel. Which, whinge time here for me was £1.38 a litre this week in our local garages. £1.38 :mad::mad:

Guest pauljoinoz

We used Privelage car insurance had a bit of hassle as the letter from Oz insurers just said we had NCD rating 1 in Oz, but once they broke it down & explained that it eqauted to more than 5 years claim free years our insurers accepted it.

Good luck! Yes petrol is expensive but I use 1/4 of what i did in Oz so I guess it balance out!

We were insured with Allianz in Australia between 2005 and 2010 and when we returned to the UK in 2010 we got our insurance through Direct Line and they accepted our full no claims from Allianz. There is a lot of hype about the insurance increases but to be honest mine and my husband's car insurance is pretty much the same as it was in Australia albeit on a smaller engine car. I had 1 1.8 Mitubishi Lancer in Australia and I have a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 in the UK (I am 48 too which helps). I don't do half the mileage I used to over there so I tend to spend less on petrol too but that's just my personal situation, I work locally and family live locally.