snifter

Blog entry or forum post?

Blog or post or even both?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Blog or post or even both?

• Do you know that the blog section exists and if so do you visit it?
      • Do you/did you blog about your move to SA?
      • Do you read and post to the forum and blog?
      • Do you read and post to the blog section only/mainly?
      • Do you read and post to the forum only/mainly
      • Did you post a blog entry but intended it to be on the forum?
      • If you used the blog first, did you then move over to the forum?
      • If you don't read the blogs now, do you think you might in the future?
      • Will you stick to the forum generally the in future
      • Anything else (please post below)

I'm posting this on the forum as I am curious from a personal POV and hoping people would spare five minutes on some feedback for me :) Thanks in advance.

I rarely view the forum from the HOME page, I use the Forum tab in the menu. I also use the New Posts tab a fair bit so I can just see new stuff every time I visit the forum. Its a well used way of viewing things for me and I do this on every forum I visit and post on (and that is a lot of forums over the years).

But what of your forum viewing/reading/posting habits here? The blog and the forum. Do people confuse where they post and do some of you even know the blogs exist or what they are for? Do regulars here on the forum read the blogs much? Are you inclined to reply?

I occasionally pop my nose into the Blog section of the site. Today when I did (and the last couple of occasions also) I found a number of blog entries there that actually seemed better suited to being on the forum as they were asking questions about SA/Adelaide, not actual blog posts (an online diary to all intents and purposes is the idea behind a blog ).

Those that post in the blogs section but not here, have you gotten your wires crossed and meant to post on the forum to ask your questions but ended up blogging instead? Or did you wish to keep to the blog section and not venture into the main forum (which is where you will often find or get answers to your questions). I realise if people confine themselves to the blog section they may not see this but I am hoping some who've only posted in the blog section might read this :)

Anything else I've missed on the whole blog or post issue?

BTW its a multiple choice on the poll, so check any that apply to you :)

Thanks

snifter

Good post Snifter. I know Poms in Adelaide is often the first venture into "public life" on the internet for many, so perhaps there might be a bit of confusion.

I always think of a blog as like a column in the newspaper - where you can write about your life, views, opinions - bit like the Boris Johnson column he does in the Telegraph or having a stand at Speakers Corner, whereas the forum is more like a table in a pub, where you can ask stuff, or throw a comment into the discussion to see what the others around the table have to add on the subject!

I know I don't read the blogs much or visit there often. TBH I don't have time to read blogs these days. I gave up keeping my own elsewhere also. I do very occasionally pop in to read some of the more recent blog entries but often find them asking questions about moving to SA/Adelaide and not really get many replies as perhaps they might if posted on the forum. I feel guilty then as I'd like to try to help people but because I stick to the forum mainly I really don't see what these people are saying in the blog section.

The other reason I don't see any blog updates stuff is because I don't view from the Home page, where there is a blog box on the left showing recent entries. I don't view from that page ever on any forum as I don't like the busyness of it. I view from the Forum page only and go to new posts from there. My bad I know but its what my eyes and brain like and get on with. So yes, I do potentially miss lots of stuff people are asking.

I'm with you Diane, I think there is a bit of confusion if people are new and are unsure of where to actually post their questions. Of course, some people are actually blogging over there also. I do see some people from the forum venture to the blogs as I see replies posted, being helpful, but never as many as might be posted if the same questions were asked on the forum itself :unsure: Which is a shame as I'm sure we'd like to help as many people as possible if we can.

So yeah, learning curve for me and I shall endeavour to visit the blogs a bit more and answer questions but also try to direct people to the forum also, in case they were not aware of the differences and the way the traffic may vary between the two.