not a pom, but am definately in adelaide ;)

Guest Paulyn Y

Guest Paulyn Y

Hi everyone,

I'm a Malaysian in Adelaide, reading about your complaints about Malaysian Airlines, and i thought "hey, maybe i can help out here". Nope, i don't really have a better experience than anyone of you, but the difference is, i know which tree to bark at :biglaugh: so, if any of you have any questions about that or where and how to spend your time during a stopover in Singapore (yup, i've lived there too), just let me know.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!:xmas15:

Welcome to the forum!

We are off to singapore for a 4 day stop over in April and staying at teh Grand Mercure Roxy - any ideas what it's like or what the surrounding areas are like?

We visited Singapore a few years ago and would like to go back to the zoo and take our toddler there - any other 'must see' places suitable for a 2yr old?

Thanks in advance!!! x

Guest Paulyn Y

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply ... had been busy shopping :P

1. To Diane - thanks!

2. To the bacon - u know what? i could have gotten free tickets if there hasn't been an economic downturn in Malaysia in 1997 :idea: someone close works for the company now and many perks were slashed. those days perks such as discounted air fare or even free airfares are extended not only to immediate family members but also the IN-LAWS! not bad eh? but the airlines had been making much losses over the year, on the brink of bankruptcy even. and hence many staff benefits were either removed or made a hell-lot-harder to apply for / be eligible for ... well just my luck i guessed :unsure:

3. to Tori0609 - for kids, i personally prefer the night safari and jurong bird park. however, this is pretty far away from where you would be staying and heat could easily tired your kid out. if u must, take a cab, spend the extra few bucks and save the energy walking, taking a bus or mrt. alternatively, Sentosa Island and the new Marina Sands + universal studios could be a good choice. i've been to sentosa island several times, (ok, maybe a little too many times, it feels bored :dull:), there's tram ride, some animal shows, a bit of history etc.... as for Marina Sands, it barely opened when i left singapore, so no comment. but so far comments from friends had been good.

the place where you'll be staying is called "Katong" and it's famous for it's LAKSA! to know which shop/stall to is good, just follow the crowd. if there's a que, it's good. if it's quiet - STAY AWAY hehehe.

basically the main activity in singapore is shopping. the heart of the city lies within the MRT lines. i'm not familiar with katong, (having used to be in Jurong), i suggest that u check with the hotel's reception on the fastest/shortest way to get to the MRT. having a kid and a stroller/pram, u can absolutely rely on MRT, no problem! it has got fantastic access and plenty of walkway. once there, find your way orchard road (main shopping destination), bugis junction, and chinatown. orchard road would have lots of major retailers be it clothings or electronics, bugis is mainly electronics and chinatown is mainly food.

remember to bring your stroller/pram, umbrellas, tissues, wet wipes and lots of water (for drinking). the weather is unpredictable, and when it rains, it pours! as there would be lots of walking, a pram/strolller will come in handy. if you want to eat where the locals do, then hit the streets for hawkers food. there are many food court all around singapore and i trust there would be several nearby where u stay. TIP, as u walk out of your hotel, look up to see the directions of HDB flats, and head towards there. where there are flats/apartments, there's usually at least 1 foodcourt and they are usually quite clean. but if in any case it's not up to your standard of cleanliness, that's where the tissue and wet wipes comes in handy. common food most foodcourt would have are dim sum, wan ton noodles, fried carrot cake (must try! there's the white or black option, black being the soy sauce, my preference is white), fried oysters with eggs, and chicken/duck/BBQ pork rice.

hope this helps & enjoy your trip!

Guest Paulyn Y

hi tori,

I just realised that your trip in April is not just any trip, but it's the big move. in that case, i suggest that u do what the locals do and hang around the neighbourhood. there are 2 shopping complexes nearby for u to kill time. reason i'm saying this is that the move would be very stressful to your little one and it's easy to fall sick with the change in weather / tempreature and in some cases, water. don't hesitate to take your kid to a doctor, it won't cost you much, at most $100 (consultation + medication) at a private hospital and much less in a neighbourhood clinic. take care and have a safe journey :smile: