Flights Booked - We are on our way!

Guest teresa lynch

Guest teresa lynch

After a lot of sleepless nights we finally exchanged on our house this Monday with completion on 9th Jan. Was hoping to have completed on the sale much earlier but unfortunately our buyers neglected to let anyone (even thier Solicitors) know they didn't want to move until end of Jan!! Our plan had been to fly on my birthday, 30th Dec so that we would land very early on new years day - very symbolic, new year new life etc!

This week has been spent in a mas rush of closing bank accounts booking rentals for our arrival, cancelling mobiles, booking flights the list goes on....

I have managed to book the 12th of Jan with Quantas with a 9.30pm departure from Heathrow. I know its a bit late to ask as we are booked and paid for but does anyone have any opinions good or bad re: fliying with Quantas.

It's all a bit daunting the longest flight we've ever done is 9 1/2hrs (without kids!) this time we'll have all 3 of them! I know all food and drink is included but is that just at meal times or at anytime we need a snack or drink and is wine included I may need a couple if the littlies play up lol!

Would people advise online checkin too so we can pre choose our seats and just go straight to bag drop on arrival at the airport?

One last worry (sorry there are a few) my eldests dad wanted to drive him to the airport when we leave we have all discussed this and decided that the risk of him being separated from us by traffic is too great and also we're concerned that his dad will be very upset, rightly so with is son going to the other side of the world ( but the ex has been supportive to our son and me and my husband). It's going to be hard at the goodbye stage for my son and i'm concerned that if he gets upset the two little ones will also be upset and not sure how will be best to deal with three crying children and all the luggage when me and my OH will be close to tears ourselves.

:xmas15:On another note would like to wish everyone a very happy Christmas!:xmas16:

Guest Guest5035

i recently flew Q back from the uk, a little slow on bringing out the drinkies and food, but any airline depends really on the crew, the planes are all the same except the crew are all different. it sounds a long flight but think of it as a 13 hour then a 8 hour with a tea break in between.what route to adelaide are you taking, not via syd/ melb i hope..

stevo

Drinks and food are free I think, and do try and get up and have a wonder around the plane as often as you can - will keep your circulation going, and they often have food and drink available in the gully area if you don't feel confident about calling the stewards over. If you haven't done so already, have a look at http://www.seatguru.com to check out which seats are best avoided. I would check in online beforehand if you can as it's one less thing to worry about.

Personally I reckon the less people come to the airport the better - you're all going to be feeling pretty emotional and it only takes one person losing it to start you all off! Try and do all your goodbyes the day bofore if possible so on the departure day you can put the sadness behind you and try and focus on the excitement. Easier said than done though, as I know, telling people not to come to the airport...

Enjoy Christmas, and New Year, and have a safe and comfortable flight over.

Congratulations on getting to the final stage. We fly on the 7th and cannot belive we finally have a leaving date. We are not taking anyone to the airport. We will say our goodbyes at the house and get in the taxi and go. It will be a hard enough day as it is without an extra tearfull goodbye at the airport.

Chris.

Guest leeannekays

We flew with quatas with our 2 children back in 2009, they were 22 months and 4 years old. Quatas were really good, gave us snacks and helped us.

Have good trip.

I don't want hardly anyone coming to the airport with us caus I know it will be hard.

Leeanne

Guest Guest5035
Hi Steveo

We are flying via Singapore with a 3 hour stop there.

you should go into the same terminal at changi as i did, there is a kiddies play area alongside a burger king up stairs in the corner by the cafes.

stevo

After a lot of sleepless nights we finally exchanged on our house this Monday with completion on 9th Jan. Was hoping to have completed on the sale much earlier but unfortunately our buyers neglected to let anyone (even thier Solicitors) know they didn't want to move until end of Jan!! Our plan had been to fly on my birthday, 30th Dec so that we would land very early on new years day - very symbolic, new year new life etc!

This week has been spent in a mas rush of closing bank accounts booking rentals for our arrival, cancelling mobiles, booking flights the list goes on....

I have managed to book the 12th of Jan with Quantas with a 9.30pm departure from Heathrow. I know its a bit late to ask as we are booked and paid for but does anyone have any opinions good or bad re: fliying with Quantas.

It's all a bit daunting the longest flight we've ever done is 9 1/2hrs (without kids!) this time we'll have all 3 of them! I know all food and drink is included but is that just at meal times or at anytime we need a snack or drink and is wine included I may need a couple if the littlies play up lol!

Would people advise online checkin too so we can pre choose our seats and just go straight to bag drop on arrival at the airport?

One last worry (sorry there are a few) my eldests dad wanted to drive him to the airport when we leave we have all discussed this and decided that the risk of him being separated from us by traffic is too great and also we're concerned that his dad will be very upset, rightly so with is son going to the other side of the world ( but the ex has been supportive to our son and me and my husband). It's going to be hard at the goodbye stage for my son and i'm concerned that if he gets upset the two little ones will also be upset and not sure how will be best to deal with three crying children and all the luggage when me and my OH will be close to tears ourselves.

:xmas15:On another note would like to wish everyone a very happy Christmas!:xmas16:

Hi we have flown with Qantas 3 times now and had no problems, snacks and drinks are free and always available, on the a380 there is a snack bar where you can help yourself. We didn't have any kids with us but saw the stewardesses nursing babies while parents were eating and were really helpful all-round. Make sure you check in online, if its a problem printing boarding passes it doesn't matter as long as you have checked in online,even if it says your seat numbers on your e ticket its not guaranteed till on line check in.

Teresa congrats on the booked flights!! We fly on 8th Jan with Singapore, sorry but just wondered about the online check in- how long before flights can we do it and also do we need to be at airport 2 or 3 hours before flight?

Teresa I think the airport issue for you is really hard- I suppose alot comes down to how long is the journey to airport? Does your son wana go with his dad? If you live nearish and my son wanted to travel with his dad (as long as I completely trusted him to bring him to airport!!) I would let him drive him but give yourselves extra time to get there and for them to say bye- and try to stick with each other as much as poss! Goodluck with it all and see you on the other side :) xx

I know what you mean but feel I owe it to my son'd biological dad to let him come to the airport.

Hi Teresa

I would have much preferred to say our goodbyes before leaving for the airport - but both sets of parents wanted to come to the airport and wave us off. I felt that we owed them that and I let them do so. It was sad for our kids and there were tears ( they were 7 & 10)...but as soon as we got on the plane it was fine and the excitement of our new life took over.

Its emotional whatever you do and its something that will always stay with you..... If it was me - Id let him go to the airport.

Sarahx

Guest RobJ1978

OMG im crying now just thinking about it and we havent even got our visa yet!!! How old are your kids? Our youngest was 18 months when we visited and we didnt take a pushchair as we thought it was something else to have control over....but lets just say....we took one on our return journey! I took plenty of snacks but my eldest didn't eat anything...the whole time...needless to say as we were landing in Sydney...she was vomiting....so try and get them to snack on something even if they dont feel like their meal...just make sure you leave it and dont end up taking it through quarentine. Lots for the kids to watch and play...although we went with Etihad...would think they would be similar.

Enjoy and hope you enjoy your new adventure!!!

Congrats :)

Qantas are fine, don't worry overly. They are usually good with people with kids and if you've younger ones they board you in the first wave so you can get sorted and kids in seats before the masses are boarded.

All meals, snacks and drinks are free. Being on a night flight you'll eat a main meal about an hour or so after take off. Drinks and so on will also be served then. Then they clear away and usually within an hour or two the cabin lights are dimmed and people start snoozing or watching TV for the night. You get a small blanket each but make sure you have some PJ's for your youngest as I do think younger kids and babies sleep better in night clothes. And pack a sweater for them to wear also in case they are chilly in the night. Then its about 8 hours or so of lights down, quiet and before you know it they are coming round with a cooked breakfast and you are a few hours out of Singapore (or wherever else you are flying via). During this time you can nip back and go ask for a drink/snack or just ring the buzzer and one of them will come to you.

Its great fun for the kids (well the ones I've flown with like it) to take them down into the galley area and let them look out the window back there so they can see out the window, especially when flying over Aus and the outback. We got stuck in the middle isle last time so no view so we spent a of time peering out the back windows and my son was keeping the cabin crew amused.

It'll be good. Qantas are a good airline and tbh, economy with any airline long haul flight isn't the most comfortable experience but I've usually found Qantas to be decent. I had one grotty flight with them but that was more because of passengers doing things like puking in the isle outside the loo and then the loo going out of order only a few hours into the first leg. That was a joyous flight :|

Guest teresa lynch

Thanks Guys for your replies and support!

:smile:

Stevo your play area advice for the littlies will be be well used I think they'll need a run about by the time we get to Changi.

Russell and Lyn it won't be long for you now i'm sure. Do you have to sell? We did, needed the capital! but it only took 12 weeks to get a buyer. Hows the market at the moment in Dorset?

The Beacons - not long now how does it feel?

We have now booked accomodatation for our arrival and sorted most of the stuff in the house for the shipping Co. who are due on the 5th Jan.

Off to have a few drinkies now to celebrate our last new year in England. Next year it'll be beach partys all the way!!

Happy new year to you all weather you're already living the dream or still trying to get there.

Take Care

Teresa x

Guest teresa lynch

Hi Pixie7

Online check in can be done from 24 hours befor your flight. Our travel agent has said we can do it in store with them so we can print our boarding passes and the its just baggage drop to contend with.

My son is now def coming with us in the car but his dad is following us up to say goodbye.

Teresa x

My son is now def coming with us in the car but his dad is following us up to say goodbye.

That sounds like a good plan. Better that way then one car being stuck somewhere. You'll allow plenty of time to get there anyways I am sure so you should be fine in terms of having time to say goodbye before going through security. Perhaps let your son go to one of the little cafe's for a bit, grab a coke and have a bit of time alone with his Dad before you do the goodbyes.

And defo make use of the play areas at Changi. TBH the one near Hungry jacks/Burger King is more for toddlers but 5 year olds will find it ok for the slide and stuff. There was also kids TV and a couple of sofas there last time we went through. Although if you guys can find it, head for the Rainforest Lounge (its up the stairs or the lift) and it has free computers/internet that doesn't really have much in the way of people wanting to use them. Also TV there, some quiet space and sofas. You can also grab showers there for $5 Singapore or thereabouts (you can pay in ££ or Aus $$ if need be). Its easy to find and only a minute away from the play area and BurgerKing/Hungry Jacks, just head back down the stairs and across the hall is another staircase with it. You'll also find it on the map. You may find the adults appreciate a shower and a freshen up while the kids kick back.

We went to the airport on our own as none of us could of really have coped with upset of leaving close family and friends.

I t was still hard knowing once you where through the departure gates that's it.

We have now been here 4 month and not had a down point yet.

Both managed to find jobs my daughter has settled into her new school well (port noarlunga primary).

Just completed our 1st xmas a quiet one just the 3 of us but still a good one.

Lifes pretty much what you make here .

Its a new fresh start enjoy it put the effort in to do and see things and its great.

We come over on 5 March and we are saying good bye before we leave home, its a very hard thing to do! good luck with your move, all the best in the new year.

I remember how awful we felt saying goodbye to my daughter, her husband and our 2 granddaughters. We Gave them a quick hug at the barriers and they went straight through (they travelled Business class, lucky things so had a nice lounge to chill out in before the flight)

Little did I know that 5 years to the day we would be saying a tearful goodbye to our son at Heathrow and coming here to live!

Guest teresa lynch

It's so good to be reassured by you guys. Thank you for all the advice on what facilities there are at the airport in Changi. Any more will be greatly received.

We've just got up from new years eve party and 2012 has started with a bit of a hangover but I'm sure it's nothing that a couple of painkillers and a cup of tea won't sort!

I hope every one in oz had a good time the pic's i've seen on poa so far look like you did. Can't wait till we get there.

Todays big job is a trial run with the suitcase packing to make sure we don't go over our 40kgs each!

Teresa

Hi Teresa

Congrats on getting the house sold and flights booked. We had a similar situation with my step daughters dad wanting to take her to the airport. We decided it was too much of a risk with traffic etc so we compromised in getting there a bit earlier to allow him to meet us at the airport where he could say his goodbyes.

Enjoy your last few days before you set off on your new life.

(ps used to live in deal and work in herne bay. great little spot)

Rob

Changi is rated the number 1 airport in the world and with good reason. You'll be fine there. Just read the floor plan, get your bearings from the central area and you are sorted. They have some outdoor areas also, butterfly garden iirc and other things. If you've a few hours to spend there you'll pass the time easily enough I am sure. I remember watching a movie in the cinema one time, having a great meal and making my flight on time.

Also the swimming pool is a good place if you've got the time. Just make sure you pack swimsuits in handluggage. IIRC they provide towels in the entry fee (like with the showers).

http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/entertainment-lifestyle

http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/leisure-indulgences

http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/fun-for-the-kids

http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/internet-and-business-services/internet-access

Russell and Lyn it won't be long for you now i'm sure. Do you have to sell? We did, needed the capital! but it only took 12 weeks to get a buyer. Hows the market at the moment in Dorset?

Hi Teresa,

Ideally we need to sell. Had lots of viewings in Nov/Dec then all quiet again over Christmas & New Year. Fingers crossed that we get some more interest in January. Quite frustrating as it's the major thing that is beyond our control!

How's the preparations for the shipping going? You must be pretty close now!

All the best and maybe see you on the other side!

Lyn x