Ebook reader - any suggestions?

sunnyside

Guest Adelaide_bound

really really love my kindle, the older style one with the full keyboard and 3G.

Its so completely different from anything back lit, and makes such a difference on your eyes. The version we got I like because of the internet (at no charge to use! yipee! where possible, obviously), so you can go to websites as you are reading about them, and the keyboard I find useful for typing in when looking for things, when making notes and so on, which I don't know how you would do those things with the new kindle - I can only think it has an on screen keyboard, which would take longer imho to type things into than the qwerty keyboard on the older version.

Its really easy to download books, and samples before you buy them, with just one click, but if you make a mistake you can equally easily reverse it. I can't believe how cheap the books are as well! All the titles I would have brought in paperback are a LOT cheaper (ie £1.99 instead of £6.99, £5.49 instead of £16.99 and so on....), so its turning into a bit of a bargain that way for us

Am a complete convert - I thought I would hate it, and am very old fashioned etc, but cannot fault this at all, it will be so perfect for our travels around Oz :)

I have the new sony ereader. it is touch screen and allows you to download lots of types of books. if you are unsure of a word you just touch the word and the meaning of the word pops up at the bottom of the screen with the dictionary. it isnt back lit so doesnt hurt your eyes and you can buy a case with an inbuilt light to read at night.

Guest loublack

Yep, kindle gets my vote too, absolutely love it. Have also got the cover with a built in light so i can read at night without keeping my hubby awake with the light on! I think a lot of the 'classics' are free to download too.

Got a Kindle for xmas, have to say i love it. Books are about 2/3rds cheaper than book stores and yes 'classics' are free (i understand anything out of copywrite can be downloaded free)

I think the only issue i have with it is i can only buy from Amazon- I may be wrong about that and hope anyone who knows any different will point me in other directions :)

Hi, I have a kindle which I also thought I'd hate (was my work leaving gift) but love love love it! Hubbie has Sony e reader as he doesn't want to be tied to amazon (?), he likes it, and the touch screen, but I think I see a tiny wee flicker when I look at it, I have a ridiculously sensitive migraine head! Also think touch screen would be bad for me reading in bed and falling asleep on screen!

Gill x