Guest philb

welcome

Guest philb

hi all

quite new to this,

hoping to move this year from West Yorkshire. Will be working as carpenter in construction industry, any advice on work, housing, places to live, schools etc, will be great.

hoping to log our SS by end of Feb just need to pass the IELTS test on 21st Jan, failed 1st test by 0.5 so not very happy but will try again,

any one know how long SS will take,:biggrin:

thanks Phil

Hi Phill .

Where abouts are you from in West Yorks ,we moved here 4 months ago from tropical Bradford.

I didnt think you had to pass the IELTS test for building trades things must have changed.

They say the building work has cooled off but I still see new houses going up and most are timber framed ,so you are possibly in the best trade.

Good luck with your test.

All the best Trev.

Building trade doing it hard over here just now there are some houses giong up but nothing compared to what was going up A guy posted on here that he was a carpenter and had went for a job and there were 70 people going for it they were only looking for 3 people. Same with bricklayers over 100 going for one job someone was telling me.

Guest philb

hi trev

were from sunny Morley in Leeds, Bradford is just up the road, go there every week with my daughter for her ice skating lessons,

how are you finding it after the four months you have been there,

Hi and welcome,

We are almost ready to submit for SS, the forms already completed and are just waiting for copy of completed skills cert before submitting.

Have checked SA website and it states that if you hold a uk passport then ou don't need an Ielts unless occupation requires score of 7 or more.

A carpenter/joiner only needs 6.5 overall score so check it out as you may be waiting and paying out unnecessarily.

Good luck and keep us updated of your progress.

Guest philb

hi

i need 65 points and currently have 60 need the 10 points from the IELTS test to get me the 65 points required.

phil

Hi Phil, Glad you made it on here. good luck with you next ielts. If you search old threads you may get some more information as well. Not long for us before we leave so make sure you and Sam keep in touch.

Hi phil,

we were not far from you , we lived in pudsey , been here just over 4 months and loving it , best move you will ever make , we have 2 children that have slotted into school , we are both working , nice house , good lifestyle , what visa are you going for ? i think the visa systrm has changed since we did it , but feel free to ask us any questions and we will try to help ..

Guest philb

hi,

thanks for that, good look, prob see you before you guys go, you will have to let us know how things are going when you are there, wish we were going over in a few weeks, were not jealous at all, well may be a lot. lol.

Guest philb

hi guys,

thanks for that, try not to pester you too much with all the questions we have, lol, not sure on the visa yet depends if i pass the IELTS if i pass then it will be a 176 ,but if i fail we will prob go for a 475 temporary for 3 years and take it from there.

how are you finding the cost of living over ther,

phil.

Guest philb

hi all,

has anyone got any ideas how long SS will take for construction industry,

phil.