Guest steveygee

IT work in SA/Adelaide

Guest steveygee

I'm considering the option of leaving my current employer to go elsewhere, as I'm essentially working remotely for them on UK wages and it just doesn't cut the mustard. The issue is, pretty much all the jobs I have looked at require you to be an Australian resident, whereas I am only on a temporary resident Visa. Essentially I would be looking to gain company sponsorship, but now I'm here I hear reports of less and less companies offering to do this. What do you think the chances are? I know the government are still offering sponsorship for IT professionals....

PS. I'm a Server/Network engineer currently working for Symantec remotely.

Guest Guest5035

can't really help you on your question, but if you do get more money, the GTS will come quicker!!

stevo

Guest steveygee

Indeed it will.... one day I might be able to afford a GTR... or go back to my beloved VW's

Guest steveygee

I haven't but if it states in the vacancy that candidates need to be australian residents, it seems pointless applying. I have it stated on my CV/Resume the type of visa I have. Do you think it's worth applying regardless? I would like to think I have a pretty good CV behind me already having worked on some sizeable projects for HP and Symantec.

Anyone who has had any direct experience in this field?

It cant hurt! if you dont put your name on the list you wont get a look in!

I was in the UK sent over my cv to a small handfull of recruiters and gave some blurb on my e-mail and I got put forward for a position. Fair enough they gave the company the impression I already had a visa (didnt care whether perm/temp) but when the company decided they wanted me they sponsored me - lucky I guess.

If you have a visa then you are allowed to work - that's what they need, if you blow them away with a good cv then they will want to keep you. :)

As far as I hear there is a shortage of good cv's so give it a go - also are you on linked in?

Guest steveygee
    It cant hurt! if you dont put your name on the list you wont get a look in!

I was in the UK sent over my cv to a small handfull of recruiters and gave some blurb on my e-mail and I got put forward for a position. Fair enough they gave the company the impression I already had a visa (didnt care whether perm/temp) but when the company decided they wanted me they sponsored me - lucky I guess.

If you have a visa then you are allowed to work - that's what they need, if you blow them away with a good cv then they will want to keep you. :)

As far as I hear there is a shortage of good cv's so give it a go - also are you on linked in?

I am indeed! Mainly have UK contacts at the moment though!

Really get working on that site and sell yourself, join as many [relevant] groups as necessary - tap me up on there I have a few local recruitment contacts on there :)

Guest DingDangDoo
    I'm considering the option of leaving my current employer to go elsewhere, as I'm essentially working remotely for them on UK wages and it just doesn't cut the mustard. The issue is, pretty much all the jobs I have looked at require you to be an Australian resident, whereas I am only on a temporary resident Visa. Essentially I would be looking to gain company sponsorship, but now I'm here I hear reports of less and less companies offering to do this. What do you think the chances are? I know the government are still offering sponsorship for IT professionals....

PS. I'm a Server/Network engineer currently working for Symantec remotely.

Steveygee,

Would you have any more info on government sponsorship for IT professionals?

Thanks

Hi Steve

What type of temp visa are you on? We came here on a temporary Visa SIR495 and were temp residents for 2 and half years before we applied and became permanent residents. The temporary visa made no difference to my husband getting a job, even if it said permanent australian resident. He also works in IT.

Sarah

Guest steveygee
    Hi Steve

What type of temp visa are you on? We came here on a temporary Visa SIR495 and were temp residents for 2 and half years before we applied and became permanent residents. The temporary visa made no difference to my husband getting a job, even if it said permanent australian resident. He also works in IT.

Sarah

I'm on a very temp temp visa, which only allows me to work for one employer for 6 months at the moment. I had intended to some degree to stay with my existing employer, then go down the sponsorship route but unfortunately there has been a management change of heart and they no longer wish to employ people in remote locations. So, I'm having to step up the pace a bit now as I have my one months notice period to work!

If anyone knows of any opportunities, my LinkedIn profile is as follows, which should give you a fair idea of my skillset and what I am about: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=75997636