DVD / TV / freeview help and recommendations please...

Sallyh

Ok. We. Are. Behind. Everyone. Else. so please speak slowly so I can understand!!!!!! ;)

Our DVD player (all regions) is giving notice and refuses to play some of our dvds now, even a new one we just got out of the box... we've known for some time it was a matter of time before it would need replacing.

Currently we are on a handmedown TV from a family member, so don't as yet have digital TV and the inlaws for some time have had a thing that records onto its own hard disk but they can also burn DVDs from it and let us have stuff they've recorded etc...

So we need to replace the DVD player, don't have digital and I want to be able to do the same- watch stuff we have recorded, burn it to keep if necessary, and potentially watch one thing and record something else... I believe that we can get one of those thingies and won't also need a set top box because we can receive the digital TV through it... is that right?

Potentially also something that can "talk" to the computer would also be good (FIL has a thing that uses the house's plug circuit to send the computer to the TV from another room (previously he had a cable).

So... can you recommend what we might need for the DVD replacement, and also anyone tell me about the thing that uses the plug circuit too? Currently to use itunes (we do actually have that!) I plug my Ipod with a cable into the TV and can watch stuff we've downloaded to the ipod, but it might be nice to actually be able to project the whole screen on to the TV sometimes, where the ipod is not relevant cos its not actually itunes we want to look at...

I am embarrassed to sound so ignorant but hoping a lovely PIA member or 2 may be able to help us out! Hoping this may not cost the earth! Thanks...

• 1 month later...
...just wondering if anyone can give me a lead first. I'd like to do research on prices etc before going out and committing...

Hey Sally.

There's a few different ways to get what you want but it depends whether you want something that will satisfy all your needs now or want something that will give you a bit more flexibility down the track. Are you interested in Foxtel or free to air digital TV? Do you have many DVDs? Would a solution that allows you watch the DVDs without actually having to use the discs be of interest? If you have a main PC in your home it might be possible to use that (plus an xbox 360) to do everything you want...and more.

Alternatively, Harvey Norman has a fair few options related to DVD/Hard drive recording and you should also be able to find some kind of home plug ethernet solution; the Western Digital solution has had good recent reviews and is a way better option than wireless in my opinion.

Justin.