Guest Heather2011

Areas classed as countryside which arent too remote...

Guest Heather2011

Could anyone shed any light on the above please? We are looking at the possibility of moving semi country, but not isolated, which areas are classed as semi rural? Nice areas of course! i have seen some nice house and land packages and although they seem wonderful i have the disadvantage of not knowing the areas as of yet.

Any advice, help would be appreciated.

Depends whether you are using the English definition of "not isolated" or the Australian....!

Have a look at http://www.countryestates.com.au - they have places that are within 20 minutes of 'civilisation' but are still pretty rural, such as Kersbrook, Birdwood and that sort of place, but really you need to check places out for yourself in person to get a real idea

Guest Tina P

Hi Heather,

We live at Mclaren Flat which is semi rural and love living here, I would not want to live anywhere else :-)

We have a small primary school which has around 185 pupils, a Deli that sells everything and also is a post office - opens 7 days a week.

The area is surrounded by vines, lots of wineries. Its a 15 to 20 min drive to a beach depending which one you go to, 5 mins from Mclaren Vale and you can be on the xpressway in 10 to 15 mins (never felt the need to time it).

Lots of new house have been built over the last 3 years but still has a community feeling.

Some may say its to far but its not when you live here - have a look.

Tina

Guest garthsmydog

You can live just over an hour from Adelaide and be considered semi rural - North is the Barossa( just over an hour unless peak hour traffic) and Clare Valleys ( hour and a half) both very beautiful. South of Adelaide are beaches and as a previous person has written places like Mc Claren Flat . East of th city takes you through the hills and parts of Mt Barker are still considered semi rural(and surrounds). But in the hills only 15 minutes from the city homes are considered semi rural. Do you know what size land you want to live on and for any reason in particular - ie hobby farm or just know that you have space around you. We live in the hills on half an acres only 15 mins from the city but have koalas in our trees and we live next to a main road! But it does get cold ( not by Brit standards) and we have milder summers - wouldnt swap it for the world!

Guest Heather2011
    You can live just over an hour from Adelaide and be considered semi rural - North is the Barossa( just over an hour unless peak hour traffic) and Clare Valleys ( hour and a half) both very beautiful. South of Adelaide are beaches and as a previous person has written places like Mc Claren Flat . East of th city takes you through the hills and parts of Mt Barker are still considered semi rural(and surrounds). But in the hills only 15 minutes from the city homes are considered semi rural. Do you know what size land you want to live on and for any reason in particular - ie hobby farm or just know that you have space around you. We live in the hills on half an acres only 15 mins from the city but have koalas in our trees and we live next to a main road! But it does get cold ( not by Brit standards) and we have milder summers - wouldnt swap it for the world!

Thanks garthsmydog

We want somewhere with plenty of space more than anything. Not into farming but daughter would like a horse!

Guest Jo&Phil

Adelaide Hills might be a good option ..... the larger 'villages' and small towns are closer to the city (20 minutes or so down the freeway) but the smaller places tend to have more land. It depends how far from the city you want to be, or can manage to me if work takes you into Adelaide ..... and it probably will. It may depend what part of Adelaide you need to get to each day.

Places like: Maccelsfield, Mylor, Echunga, Littlehampton, Nairne, Wistow, Oakbank, Lobethal, Harrogate are all quite commutable to Adelaide city centre (if necessary) up to 45 minutes. Places like: Birdwood, Mount Torrens, Strathablyn could realistically take longer.

South of the city: Willunga, McLaren Vale, McLaren Flat are all quite good options.

North of the city: I'm less familiar with this .... but I'm sure others on the site will have some suggestions.

Have a look on www.realestate.com.au and search in SA for anything with 'acreage' in the first instance though this may give you things quite remote from the city and then 'rural' for a good selection.

Thanks garthsmydog

We want somewhere with plenty of space more than anything. Not into farming but daughter would like a horse!

You don't even have to go too far out to get something like this - I love places up round Nortaon Summit (best pub in South Australia there too) and there is a road in Fairview Park - Yatala Vale Road - which has lots of small holdings, and many have stables there - that's about 30 mins from the City, but about 5 mins from Tea Tree Plaza with its shops, recreation facilities, transport links etc.

Not sure how old your daughter is but do bear in mind also that out in the sticks (or 'beyond the black stump' as the phrase is here) might also limit your school choices. Not that that's such a bad thing - got a friend lives out in Kersbrook whose sons all go to the local state school there and are very happy - only slight issue is that the school sports teams play in the Hills League which means during the season their matches could be anything up to about 2 hours away, because it covers an awfully big area!

Guest Heather2011
    You don't even have to go too far out to get something like this - I love places up round Nortaon Summit (best pub in South Australia there too) and there is a road in Fairview Park - Yatala Vale Road - which has lots of small holdings, and many have stables there - that's about 30 mins from the City, but about 5 mins from Tea Tree Plaza with its shops, recreation facilities, transport links etc.

Not sure how old your daughter is but do bear in mind also that out in the sticks (or 'beyond the black stump' as the phrase is here) might also limit your school choices. Not that that's such a bad thing - got a friend lives out in Kersbrook whose sons all go to the local state school there and are very happy - only slight issue is that the school sports teams play in the Hills League which means during the season their matches could be anything up to about 2 hours away, because it covers an awfully big area!

thanks Diane

I will look at them in more detail . My daughter is 7 probably nearly 9 by the time we make the move, so we don'twabt to limit her making friends by being to far out. The same with our son,he will be nearly 16 when we make the move.

Im in the Barossa - love it. 50 mins to the city, no crime, village life, good schools, wine, wine, space. Why move from the Uk to Adelaide suburbs - might just as well stay in the UK!

Just noticed you're in Middlesboro'. Im from there although I left and moved south as a child. My parent still speak in the northern foreign tongue. SA will seem like a different planet rather than country compared to Boro!

Guest trall

that sounds like our ideal. I love to hear the birds morning corus and have greener around. Are there many rental properties around though that take dogs? Looking around on real estate sites it all seems to be based around suburbs of Adelelaide and beaches

Don't expect too much green - its mainly brown for the whole summer. We've always been here on holiday in Jan/Feb and couldn't get over all the flowers and green grass when we arrived for good at the beginning of October. As for birds - the main ones we have are Adelaide Rosella (colourful small parrots) Magpie Larks, Galahs and cockatoos and the occasional kookaburra. The trees are mainly gums or pines and wattles and bottlebrushes in the spring. Looking forward to the Liquid Amber trees in the Autumn and the Jacarandas were spectacular just before Christmas. (and we have the occasional koala too)

Guest Heather2011
    Just noticed you're in Middlesboro'. Im from there although I left and moved south as a child. My parent still speak in the northern foreign tongue. SA will seem like a different planet rather than country compared to Boro!

lol...where in Middlesbrough are you from?

Guest Heather2011
    Adelaide Hills might be a good option ..... the larger 'villages' and small towns are closer to the city (20 minutes or so down the freeway) but the smaller places tend to have more land. It depends how far from the city you want to be, or can manage to me if work takes you into Adelaide ..... and it probably will. It may depend what part of Adelaide you need to get to each day.

Places like: Maccelsfield, Mylor, Echunga, Littlehampton, Nairne, Wistow, Oakbank, Lobethal, Harrogate are all quite commutable to Adelaide city centre (if necessary) up to 45 minutes. Places like: Birdwood, Mount Torrens, Strathablyn could realistically take longer.

South of the city: Willunga, McLaren Vale, McLaren Flat are all quite good options.

North of the city: I'm less familiar with this .... but I'm sure others on the site will have some suggestions.

Have a look on www.realestate.com.au and search in SA for anything with 'acreage' in the first instance though this may give you things quite remote from the city and then 'rural' for a good selection.

thanks jo and phill.

Think I might be busy today looking at areas and houses...