Sign in to follow this  
Guest silverload

Teaching in SA

Guest silverload

Hi Everyone,

I am fairly new to the forum and looking for some friendly advice. We are due to move out to Adelaide at the end of March, beginning of April on a 176 permanent residence visa. I am a Primary Teacher and understand that obtaining employment in this area is not easy, however I would appreciate any advice from anyone who is a Primary Teacher, has made the move and obtained a teaching position. I also know that a Child Protection and First Aid course need to be completed before Teacher Registration can be sought. Does anyone have experience of this too? Sorry for going over, what is probably old ground for this job area, but any information would be appreciated.

Guest cazzie

Hi there. I am a secondary teacher and everything you need to know is on the teacher registration board's website on www.trb.sa.edu.au/ .

You are right in that you will need the Mandated Notification Child Abuse certificate and BELS First Aid certificate. Useful websites are: www.redcross.org.au/ for first aid and the TRB website will lead you to the mandated notification courses.

Hope this helps.

Guest Adelaide_bound

You can do your Mandatory training with this company - this is the list of dates for the courses:

http://www.pscsa.org.au/cms/files/MANDATED%20NOTIFICATION%20DATES%202009-2010_0.pdf

If you don't already have it, here is the TRB page for registration, if you click on the 'overseas teacher' link it will scoot you downt he page to right bit:

http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/applying.php

(Copied here)

[h=2]Applicants holding overseas teacher education qualifications[/h] Applicants who currently hold an overseas teacher education award will be required to apply for an Assessment of Qualifications to determine if they meet the minimum prescribed qualifications requirements.

Applicants will be notified in writing by the Board if their qualifications meet the prescribed minimum requirements and will then be eligible to apply for teacher registration. Applicants will be required to:

Refer to the Application for Teacher Registration form for further information.

They no longer have the First Aid course on that list - don't know if that's a typo, or if its no longer needed? We're going over in Feb, but I'm probably not going to register etc until at the earliest March to get my qualifications assessed, and do the course, so guess I will find out then - we're not sticking around then though as we're travelling around the country for 6-12 months, so may or may not be able to update you then lol.

In case I don't have time to update here whislt we are travelling, if you keep an eye on our blog site I'll put details of what's happening up there (mainly so family can keep up with what we're up to ).

HTH a little bit :)

Guest silverload

Thank you for your help, I will certainly look into the registration process further and try to get as much done as I possibly can before we arrive. It is all scary stuff, but exciting at the same time!!