Guest elaine77

Migrating from UK?

Guest elaine77

Hi all,

I'm totally new to this and totally clueless. I am getting married in September and although I have never been to Australia before both me and my partner have always wanted to Migrate to Adelaide. We just feel it will give our children (age 5 and 18months) a better quality of life than the UK can offer. The only problem is I don't think we have the skilled jobs that Adelaide need...does this mean we will be unable to make the move?

People back home (who don't want us to move) keep saying that unless we have loads of money in the bank (we don't) or skilled jobs we can't migrate. They also say it is too far from home and we won't adjust. Very confused at the moment!

:arghh:

Guest Adelaide_bound

Quickiest, easiest way of seeing if you would qualify for a visa is to take the Immigration departments visa wizard 'quiz' and it will guide you to if you would be eligble for any visa at the moment or not. Where there is a will there is a way - if you don't have suitable jobs at the moment, you could always retrain if that is what you want in the long run :)

Visa wizard can be found here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

Good luck and any questions, everyone here is pretty friendly, so just go ahead and ask :)

(PS In my experience it doesn't matter if you are 20 miles or 20000 miles away from where you grew up, it can be just as lonesome and unhappy or just as happy and enjoyable as you make it. And you don't need shedloads of money as long as you are sensible - there are lots of posts about that, but focus on the visa first, other things can come later.)

Guest guest8040

Adelaide_bound you are a font of knowledge and I agree completely with your paragraph about being lonely where you grew up!

Hi all,

I'm totally new to this and totally clueless. I am getting married in September and although I have never been to Australia before both me and my partner have always wanted to Migrate to Adelaide. We just feel it will give our children (age 5 and 18months) a better quality of life than the UK can offer. The only problem is I don't think we have the skilled jobs that Adelaide need...does this mean we will be unable to make the move?

People back home (who don't want us to move) keep saying that unless we have loads of money in the bank (we don't) or skilled jobs we can't migrate. They also say it is too far from home and we won't adjust. Very confused at the moment!

:arghh:

Hello Elaine77

The people at home are right about the idea that at least one of you must be a skilled worker in order to be eligible to emigrate to Australia nowadays. The Government has decided that they already have sufficient un-skilled Aussies, so the emphasis is on attracting immigrants who will be able to boost Australia's economy.

What does your Partner do and how old is he, please?

If you work as well, do you work full time at the moment? If so, what is your own occupation and how old are you, please?

Cheers

Gill

If all else fails and you just want to experience it for a year, and you meet the age requirement, perhaps consider a WHV.

And then if you love Aus, look into getting skilled/qualified or some such to be able to return permanently.

Guest Adelaide_bound
    If all else fails and you just want to experience it for a year, and you meet the age requirement, perhaps consider a WHV.

They wouldn't be eligible for a WHV unfortunately, as they have children, and 'no dependants' is a requirement of the WHV :(

Our agents were really helpful in helping us with the same sorts of questions when we first started this process - they don;t charge for advice and are really up on what skills are required and what can be done to get the points you need (know how all of the researching can feel like you're in a mine field of questions at times) - They are more than happy to give FREE advice and we got a lot of information from them before agreeing to spend any money on the process:

http://www.immigration2oz.com/ - there's the link - good luck with your decision and path x