minty

What do you think of the driving here ?

I remembered from my trip back in 2009 that I liked driving in Adelaide. Big open roads and slower speed limits made for better driving.

I've seen a few posts since then about the poor standard of driving so thought I was just lucky on that trip but after a few days here driving around solidly I still like it, much better then driving in London and no worse drivers in general then back in the UK.

Chris.

The roads are still quiet as a lot of people still on holiday wait till kids start school the roads from 7:30 till 9:30 ish and 2:30 till 6:30 ish start to get busy and thats when the drivers come out all depends what area you in also avoid south road round about these times.

So what your saying Ian is that it's the mums on the school run that are the lunatics.

Forgot about them and come to think of it we had the same problem back home the wife's driving included.

Chris !!!!!!!!!!!

Guest katsmajic

I really enjoy driving here, i cover 100's of km's every week - i've put 80k on my little puggy in 2years and have used a company car for most of the last 6mths.

only problem i ever have with drivers is in carparks when im reversing out of a space...and they dont stop for you they just carry on even to the point of vertually having to squeeze through the gap behind me and any other parked car....

people do undertake here, but then so do i...tailgaters get short thrift from me as i tend to hit the brakes randomly to make them pull back....

the roads are lovely and wide, most of the roads flow really well, only the alleged rush hour is busy, when you might have 20 cars in front - those that whinge should go drive in sydney and melbourne, then come back and love our roads for what they are lol....

just watch out for cars parked on the side of roads....speed cameras are very active here...and the fines are nasty...not that ive had any as im a good girl...

Driving here is not an issue with me either i was a rep for 6months and had no issues apart from 2 speeding tickets....

alot worse drivers in the UK.....( but that is just my opinion )

HG

Guest Barney Rubble
    The roads are still quiet as a lot of people still on holiday wait till kids start school the roads from 7:30 till 9:30 ish and 2:30 till 6:30 ish start to get busy and thats when the drivers come out all depends what area you in also avoid south road round about these times.

Got it right there ian mc :biggrin:

Been here for over 20 years and couldn't put my finger on the reason for the change in car numbers, then the wife told me . . . . . . :embarressed:

Compared to my recent trip back, here it's a walk in the park, man you can even sms whilst your driving too :policeman:

Just kidding. Getting across town (note i said town not city) after 4pm is terrible so you need to plan you driving if you lack patience :idea:

Guest Jo&Phil

Adelaide drivers ... very interesting .............. reversing up the road when a parking space is spotted in the rear view mirror, tooting the horn regularly (at mates to say 'hi'), dawdling in the right hand lane if there is one at several kms below the speed limit or at least slower than everyone in the left lane, u turns .................. all part of the driving culture here ... and just wait, you'll be doing it too (like the rest of us)! :biglaugh:

Adelaide drivers ... very interesting .............. reversing up the road when a parking space is spotted in the rear view mirror, tooting the horn regularly (at mates to say 'hi'), dawdling in the right hand lane if there is one at several kms below the speed limit or at least slower than everyone in the left lane, u turns .................. all part of the driving culture here ... and just wait, you'll be doing it too (like the rest of us)! :biglaugh:

Don't forget if the speed limit is 80 or over or there's a "Keep Left Unless Overtaking" sign, it is actually a bookable offence if you drive in the right lane when not overtaking someone, or turning right (as here: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_reg/arr210/s130.html)

I have heard of people getting fined recently for this.

Guest BrianS

I like the fact that an amber light and even red lights still mean 2 or 3 cars are allowed to go through the junction :)