Kingpin

Fascination with built in wardrobes...

Lighthearted question here so go easy on me....

What is the fascination with built in wardrobes in Australian homes??? I am just not getting it. In some of the homes we have looked at they are so big, other than a bed there isnt room for any other furniture. Is it just me?

Walk in wardrobes I understand. BIR, mystery to me...

Sarah

Just means if your renting you don't have to buy wardrobes and makes the room a lot tidier than having a wardrobe stuck against one of the walls

Ah...but what about the ones that are fixed against a wall so that you cant move them but jut out into the room? Still called "built in" in the real estate listings? These are definitely not "tidy"!!!

Guest Guest5035

you'll get used to them..i think they are alot smarter than a free standing robe.

stevo

Well get a house with out built ins easy as that, plenty of houses with out most older houses don't have built ins.

Guest Tina P

We are building again and I'm not keen on the sliding wardrobe doors, so we have 2 opening doors this time. Plus they are cheaper ;-)

You do get used to them and you tastes will change - honestly

Tina

We also shipped a wardrobe over and its now a storage unit full of camping gear in the garage.

Guest Tina P

Also both my girls have put a chest of drawers inside the built in wardrobes, easy fits and space saving.

Well get a house with out built ins easy as that, plenty of houses with out most older houses don't have built ins.

Er...yes. As I said "lighthearted" thread. Jeeeezz.

My built in robe has mirrored doors, 2 chests of drawers inside, extra shelving for jumpers etc as well as above the hanging rails, 2 rails one side and longer single rail on the other (still room for a tallboy, armchair and reading lamp and blanket box if required as the room is 5 metres long!!! - so far I'm using an old pine and white chest of drawers in the alcove next to the walk-in and ensuite bathroom - with shower and spa bath)

DSC02183.jpg

DSC02165.jpg

I was only trying to give advise trying to help out but if you don't like the answers don't ask silly questions.

Have beautiful free standing ones shipped over....:frown:

Er...yes. As I said "lighthearted" thread. Jeeeezz.

LOL I reckon Poms probably have the best furnished garages in all of Adelaide - we too have a lovely pine wardrobe in the garage storing car bits!

Guest BrianS

I much prefer built ins, even had them in the uk. So much better for storage if they are designed well, a stand alone unless it was built well will go all wobbly and crap. My opinion of course