Allowed through customs ???

Cherrypecker

Hi all,

My daughter is coming over next month, and I want to ask her to bring over a few things in her suitcase. Does anyone know where I can find out what is and isin't allowed? Eg. a website or phone number.

It's nothing too amazing, just Dentyl cherry mouthwash, shreddies and Piz Buin sunscreen. Just silly things that we can't find here, and would like to have.

Many thanks

Paul

Guest Adelaide_bound

agree with the 'declare everything' sentiment - we are going to try and bring a couple of things that may be dodgy with us in handluggage, and just tell customs when we land - if they take them off us, as least we won't get fined, and they don't cost much etc anyway. If they let us have them, bonus :D

I know they won't let you have most 'fresh' type food, ie fruit, cheese, meat - anything that has been linked to any kind of health scare in the UK - foot and mouth (which apparently includes any kind of milk product,including anything with powdered milk in - I guess shreddies doesn't have that in, but double check ingredients) bird flu, and so on.

Guest Tterrier81

i brought back loads of sweeets n chocolate and stuff, even brought back a giant bag of dry roasted nuts and declared everything at sydney and they were fine, they let me through with everything

Guest Adelaide_bound
At this exact moment' date=' I am watching 'Nothing to Declare, Down Under' on Sky Living!! I wouldn't bring any food!!! Check with customs, they have guidelines on line. Good luck.[/quote']

Most commercially prepared food is ok, as long as its not meat or milk or egg based, other than that it should be fine, especially commercially prepared from western countries due to the regs on preparing food/packaging etc.

Mainly on Nothing to Declare its because its a) Chinese bird's nest (which as its birds spit isn't very nice anyway lol) b)home-made dodgy looking roots or c) infested with bugs and nasty things. (Or is honey, which is really really important it isn't imported. Imported honey has decimated the UK honey bee and Oz are managing to save theirs at the moment, so foreign honey really really is a no no - sorry I feel rather attached to the poor honey bee's plight for some bizarre reason).

Kellogs finest cereals probably aren't too much of a worry to them I guess...

Agree, you can take anything as long as its not meat or milk or egg based. We took a few jars of pesto and packs of pasta in, fine no probs, i will definetly be taking a few jars of marmite in with me ! :)x

Thanks again for further replies, really helpful and much appreciated.

Jim and Barb - Did you declare what you bought in, and if so at what stage did you declare it ??

Cheers

Paul

Guest Jo&Phil

I regularly bring chocolate, Marmite and Piriton (anyti-hystimine which isn't the size of a horse tablet like some here!). Make sure you declare all food though .... they'll just wave you through but you must declare it as it's an offence not to.

Hi Paul,

We had no probs bringing in with galaxy chocolate and jammy dodgers but the angel delight was more of a prob ...however they did let us bring through in the end! A form is given on the aircraft prior to landing which you fill in and show to each check point on arrival at the airport, from passport control to items to declare etc. But as all advice says....declare everything!

Regards

Allison

Hi Paul,

We had no probs bringing in with galaxy chocolate and jammy dodgers but the angel delight was more of a prob ...however they did let us bring through in the end! A form is given on the aircraft prior to landing which you fill in and show to each check point on arrival at the airport, from passport control to items to declare etc. But as all advice says....declare everything!

Regards

Allison

Thank you Allison. Knowing when to declare it is particularly helpful. Cheers Paul :biggrin: