ladycasper

UK bank account

Hi All,

We closed our our UK accounts a few months after leaving.

However, have now realised that it may have been wiser to keep one, for paying for things in UK, transferring money to family etc and in case we go back for holidays, travel or for good.

Does anyone know if it can be done and if so what bank is best these days ?

Thanks...

:)

Guest ladyarkles

Hi LadyC,

I've moved your post to "Money & Finance", this should help you get some answers.

We have a Halifax account in the UK and an ANZ account here. Transferring money, whilst not cheap, has been pretty easy.

Best wishes,

~ Rachel

It's very difficult to open a UK bank account from here because of money laundering rules etc. We tried all different ways to open them for the kids - even though WE still had accounts, we had closed theirs down when we left. In the end the only way was for the kids to actually go into the bank in the UK during our visit there this year, with passports, a UK address etc etc... If the bank didn't see their actual flesh and blood bodies, they were not convinced they really existed. As it was they had to say they were living with my parents (well, they were at the time, just the short term nature of the 'living' didn't crop up!)

You may be lucky but I don't hold out a lot of hope! We tried everything; internet access accounts, banks, building societies, banks where the kids used to have their accounts, banks and building societies that we had banked with for years and years....

Have you tried your original bank, maybe if it is not too long since you closed them...................

I would keep UK account if at all possible. We are back in the UK now and still keep our Oz accounts going!