easements

Guest smurph

if you have an easement attached to your property and have used this land for 10years as part of your own, can you purchase this land off the council? just a question if anyone knows...

An easement usualy means that there is drainage pipe or something like that which they need to have access to dig up and can not be built on, The easement is not usualy owend by the council its usualy on your land.I have a 3 m easement in my back yard there is a stormwater pipe in it.I put a pool in and it encroched on the easement by about 1/2 m in one corner had to get council engineer out to look at it they made me locate where the pipe was to make sure it was far enough away and they would have enough room to dig it up if needed.

Not sure if its the same situation or not, but when I lived at Mawson Lakes we had a small reserve next to the house, with an easement running through. We applied to the council to purchase the land and we agreed a size and shape which suited us and kept the manhole cover off our property. The only stipulation was we couldn't build on it, but they were happy as an extension to the garden..

They even gave us the option to move the easement off the land completely, but this would have increased the complication and application fee.

Have a chat to the council and see what they can do ?