JimandBarbinAus

self- packing does this mean no insurance?

Hi, weve had the 1st of 5 quotes back for our shipping. One company has said we can pack ourselves and leave the larger items to them. However a certain company starting with P, aheem, has said that we wont be able to get insurance if we pack ourselves? Can anyone throw any light on this :) :) :):rolleyes:

I think, don't quote me, is that if the company packs it all, then you take insurance, they will then accept full responsibility, whereas if you pack some yourself, they don't like to do so. Does that make sense. To me it seems a logical thing they won't cover if you self pack as they are just covering their own backsides if things go wrong then.

I think also you don't have to use the shipping companies insurance, can take out a separate one (some people say this is the better option anyways) so perhaps look in to that.

Personally, I'd let them pack *everything*. Moving is stressful enough so I don't want the burden, even if it costs a bit more. Things that were important to me I'd take photos of prior to packing to show condition was good and let them do it all. I'd never be able to get everything into the small spaces they seem to be able to. And I'd worry about how it would travel if I'd packed it myself. At least if they do it all I can argue the toss with them if things go wrong or are damaged etc.

Of course, there may be other reasons, but this is something I recall reading elsewhere in the past that sprang to mind :)

Good luck with it all and if you've not seen it PIO has a couple of good threads on shippers and stuff might help.

Guest Adelaide_bound

You don't get a cheaper price for packing it yourself anyway, (I asked lol) so it's not worth not letting them 'pack'. That doesn't always mean you have to leave everything in the cupboard/wardrobe etc for them to get out, you can put it into piles/boxes/suitcases etc, as they will just check the box and seal it, or repack it anyway, but anything that is delicate (eg china etc) they will wrap properly and pack. They will do a better job than you, no disrespect, but its what they do, so its far less likely to arrive broken if you let them do it. Hence the 'you're not covered by the insurance if you pack it yourself' as its more likely to break and therefore be an insurance claim.

We have taken out insurance with another company, and if a professional company do your packing for you, everything is covered, if you pack it yourself the T&Cs say:

1) OWNER PACKED EFFECTS

EXCLUDING BREAKAGE OF OR DAMAGE TO CHINA, GLASS, CURIOS, PICTURES, MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS OR FRAGILE ARTICLES OF ANY KIND UNLESS CAUSED BY FIRE, THEFT OR AN ACCIDENT TO THE CARRYING CONVEYANCE.

So basically they don't cover you for the things that are likely to get broken.

It will also save you money at AQIS (if they are any good) as they should pack any 'dodgy' items together and then AQIS only have to look in the one/two/few boxes, rather than hunting through every single thing, and as they charge by the part hour every second counts with their inspection!