Guest Paterson00

Gawler or somewhere else?

Guest Paterson00

Hi. This will he my first post. We recently got granted the 457 working visa and I will be coming over in around 5 weeks to work up in the mines in north WA. When I'm not there I will be joining my wife and kids somewhere near Adelaide. We are settling in Adelaide as we have family there in masses. Most of them live close to Gawler by the sounds of it but I'm not certain if that is where I want to be. I am told that Gawler is 45 mins to a beach but is a nice place to live and raise children. I would like to live near a beach so we can drive it in 15-20 mins, have a fair amount of land maybe an acre or more and be no more than 20 mins drive to a good school and also I done want to be too far from the city, maybe 30 - 40 mins. If I could be near a train station too that would be great. I know it's a fairly long list and I will probably have to compromise something but that's the wish list as it stands. I have been offered 2.5 acres of land with a four bedroom place which has a pool and stables, a workshop too all for $350 a week. Could I get what I want somewhere for around that? Even if people only tell me the places that are to be avoided and why it would be a nice start as at the moment I have no clue. We may not even stay in Adelaide once we get up and running, who knows...?

Guest garthsmydog

I live in Gawler for over 10 years up until a couple of years ago. It is a nice town where if you get involved in the community through your kids sporting groups or schools or whatever people are friendly once the ice has been broken.

There are some good primary schools ( eg Hewett, Sandy Creek ) depending on which part of Gawler you are in not so much for high schools unless you are willing to pay. But fees are means tested so more affordable than UK - good private primary schools are Lutheran one in gawler East or Trinity ( Anglican I think) in Gawler SOuth. Trinity goes through to end of high school but there is often a waiting list. Other good private high school is Xavier ( catholic on the northern side of Gawler).

Your beach info is correct but there are expressways through to the western suburbs where there are lovely beaches so its not hard to get there.

If you decide to stay in Gawler or any other questions happy get back in touch - happy to fill you in if I can

:) Wendy

Guest garthsmydog

oh and Gawler is at the end of the train line so you would get your train wish too! If you want an acre of land and be near the beach you are going to be a long long way away from the city so you will need to weigh that one up

Guest Paterson00

Thanks so much for the reply. There was a lot of useful information in there. Do you know how long it takes to get to Adelaide on the train from gawler? Can I also assume that being the end if the line means there isn't much worth travelling to after you get to Gawler? How about the bug situation there? Do you see many creepies and spiders? I'm concerned about my in experienced kids getting bitten before they learn. I assume that if there is a lot of countryside around there will be a lot of spiders etc. My aunts place which we will be renting at first is on Ward belt Rd just by the gliding club.

There are bugs everywhere, snakes, spiders, mozzies etc. You are more likely to see a snake the further out of town but you have to be wary everywhere.

The other side of Gawler (further out), is, IMO, nicer than the parts going towards town. The train line got through some of the lower social economic parts of SA.

You say you have family around Gawler, but you're not sure if it's where you want to be. As you will be living away from your wife and kids for a lot of the time, I think you should consider how important it will be for her and them to have a support network nearby. Yes, you could probably find a place nearer to a beach, or nearer to the City, although obviously to be within 30 mins of the city and 15 mins of the beach, with some acreage, you are probably looking at quite high costs - but your wife would also then be probably about an hour away from the rest of your established family, so is that going to be something that becomes an issue?

Theoretically for 'close to city and close to beach' you are looking at the western suburbs, down from about Semaphore to around Brighton, maybe a little further to Hallet Cove or somewhere around there, or slightly inland in the South Eastern or South Western suburbs (Belair, Happy Valley etc) but Gawler is in the north, and if anything, slightly East side of the North, so find a place that's 30 minutes south of the city and you're actually looking quite a big distance to babysitters/support etc. Why not start off in Gawler, see how everything works out, let your wife get over the initial shock of moving halfway round the world first and start to find her feet, then somewhere down the line when South Australia feels like "home" to her, you can look at moving somewhere nearer the beach? I think the fact that you won't be there to help half the time is the biggest consideration here, and as you know people round Gawler who will be there, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Spiders won't be a problem - just teach your kids not to touch anything they don't recognise (tell them to shake out clothes before putting them on if they've been left on the floor), and common sense stuff such as not walking through long grass or playing in woodpiles is probably enough to avoid all but the most inopportune encounters with snakes!

Guest garthsmydog

I agree with Dianne - moving to a new country is hard enough , but you are doing that together . as a family , but if you are working in the mines you will not be together for alot of the time . Many many relationships struggle with this - once you start working in the mines and talk to the fellas that have families they will tell you being away and making a constant adjustment of being back is the hardest thing for both you and your wife. So yes if your wife gets along with your family stay near!.

The train is a little under an hour to the city - there is lots to see past Gawler , just when it was built many decades ago there wasnt.

Where you will be is close to either Trinity or Xavier College (Xavier about 5 mins up the freeway and Trinity about 5 min the other direction) . But you are not within walking distance of the train station - which isnt unusual just so that you know.

Bugs etc are a way of life - the Wiggles have made famous ( or infamous- depending ont he age of you kids) - "You can look but you'd better not touch". As a previous person wrote , if you dont know what it is dont risk it - having said that its not a daily thing ( except flies and maybe mosquitos in summer) but yes shaking clothes out or tapping shoes upside down before you put your foot in them if they have been on the ground or left outside is worth doing.

Guest lisa and andy

Have to agree with Diane and garthsmydog, when we first came over my husband went to work in Melbourne for 3 months if it wasnt for family support I think my life in oz would have been very miserable. We live in Gawler and i suppose it depends what you want, but we like it get to city in 50mins, beach is 45mins, and you are more likely to get a good size lot at a reasonable price up here. Theres lots of new developments happening, Gawler has all the amenities you need with larger malls (Elizabeth and Tea Tree Plaza) within easy reach. Depending on age of kids they are good schools around, High Schools not so much choice, Trinity and Xavier both private, but not too expensive, but usual waiting list. Also may sound nice to live near beach at the moment, but how soon will it be before the novelty wears off?

Good Luck, moving half way round the world is hard enough decision, when you get it here is when the fun starts!!