Guest ladyarkles

Bread and Jam making supplies - where to find?

Guest ladyarkles

Just picking your brains here, hopefully!

Once my stuff arrives (in a month, or so they say), I want to get back to making my own bread and jams.

Can anyone recommend a good place to go for the various bits and bobs I need:

bread flour, yeast, pectin, jam sugar, jars and lids?

I got very excited when I heard about "The Jam Factory", then found out is was some kind of art-collective-design-balloon-trippy-puddle malarkey. :cool:

Never mind.

Any advice or leads would really be appreciated. I enjoy making jam, and miss my own (even if I do say so myself) bloody marvelous marmalade!

Cheers,

~ Rachel xx

Guest railman2404

when you find out let me know as there is nothing like fresh home made bread

Guest ladyarkles

Tell me about it!

I used to make a small loaf every other day and raisin bread once a week.

Pizza dough was a bit trickier, but I was getting there!

As for the jams/marmalades - I had all kinds made of any fruit I could get my hands on.

I gave them all crazy names and was passing them on to my friends - Note to self: never make more jam than you can eat! lol

I also made some homemade piccalilli (which I don't like, anyway) but hubby said it was good.

Having seen how much a jar of the UK stuff is here, I may go back to doing that again.

I had fun with pickled eggs; my favourites being chilli eggs, but I was still trying out other varieties too.

I love messing around in the kitchen, it gives me a real sense of satisfaction.

However, I make terrible cakes; my most famous being an unrisen Black Forest Plateau* that even my dog refused to eat.

But generally I do OK.

~ Rachel xx

*it will always be referred to as such by my darling children.

I know that there is a place on Goodwood Road at the junction with Daws Road called Peter Van the Party Man that advertises that they sell bread making supplies. I'm not too sure about jam making equipment though. Try Googling it.

There's a great place in Central Market for grains and stuff - may even be called The Grain Store - find the stall selling chocolate and take the little corridor next to that, and you come out at the Grain Store (or whatever it's called) - but as pointed out above, there is the Breadmakers Shop in Holden Hill/Gilles Plains. We made some lovely marmalade from some lemon-like fruit we picked in Linear Park last year - a cross between lemons and mandarins so they peeled really easily and the marmalade is scrummy!

Guest Sachertorte

I can advise as I am an artisan baker...

Flour- It depends how much you want to save... I would recommend Laucke flour (Wallaby Bakers is a very good bread flour) and you can find it in 10 kg bags at Foodland Pasadena. If you wanted wholemeal too you can try Omega Foods in Hindmarsh.

Pectin- Try Gaganis also in Hindmarsh- they also have jars, and jam funnels and fresh yeast

Dry yeast at the supermarket (normally Lowan Foods brand)

Jam sugar- As Rachiegarlo (always) rightly says.... Jamsetta can be found in any supermarket. Foodland does the wax and the Vacola transparent sheets to cover the lids (rubber bands included)

Hope this helps and happy baking/jam making :biggrin:

Guest ladyarkles

Thanks, Sachertorte, that's fabulous!

I can't wait to get started again.

~ Rachel xx

Guest ladyarkles

Now that I have you captive in this thread..... :biggrin:

Could you explain to me about making a "Mother" for my yeast.

My son (who has just qualified in all kinds of chef-ery) keeps nagging me to make one, but he just talks me through the whole process so quickly that I get befuddled.

In his kitchen, their Mother was 150 yrs old and it was handled like a newborn baby.

Surely I would have to be really careful where I kept it (her?) as air-con and ambient temps must have an impact.

Thanks for allowing me to rummage through your brain!

~ Rachel xx

Guest Sachertorte

Hi Rachel,

Sounds like you are asking questions about how to make a sourdough starter, which is made of wild yeasts and lactobacilli normally occurring on the grain (and the skin of the baker).

The idea is simple (mix flour and water in equal amounts and wait for fermentation to kick off) but in reality it is much more complex than just making bread with shop bought yeast and cannot be summarised in a couple of paragraphs.

There is a reasonable book called the "Bourke Street Bakery" where you can find some background to sourdough and good recipes and you can find it in many bookshops and Wheel and Barrow.

Or if you want to learn from a professional, you can come to my baking classes. I run a boutique artisan bakery called "Hills Baking" and I also teach home bakers and chefs to make and manage sourdough (the venture is called "The Hills Baking School").

If you want to find out more about the classes I run, here is the link:

http://www.hillsbaking.com/Hills_Baking/Baking_School.html

Happy Baking :cool:

Guest ladyarkles

WOW!

That sounds brilliant! Thanks.

I'll check it out.

~ Rachel