diggerlcfc

OMG what a mess

Iv just started to sort through all my stuff including work tools etc, i cant believe how much i have collected over the years.

My wife has nagged and nagged about sorting this stuff out for a long time now, see she is right some times lol.

What i need to know, are tools expensive in Australia or am i wise to bring as much as possible and sell it there if i have tools that are not needed.

Also are power tools from the Uk compatible in Oz.

Gary

ps iv put this post on household as well, not sure how but i did lol

I often read of tradies and so on bringing all their tools. The cleaning part seems to be the bugbear but loads bring them in their container and some in the luggage when they fly!

Can't comment on costs of tools etc there.

Good luck with the sort out.

(I'll delete the duplicate thread from household for you so you only get replies in one place).

nice one, thx snifter, my buddy has already flew across to oz and say cleaning of all his kit took him weeks on and off, and apparently it should smell of jeyes fluid if they open the box, else they incinerate them.

Yeah Jeyes seems to be the cleaning fluid of choice. It reeks, is strong stuff and apparently makes the guys at the other end happy to smell :cute:

I remember spending a few weekends cleaning up all the tools i brought over, didn't bother with the power tools but a quick plug change over here should do the trick. As long as you clean everything with Jeyes fluid you'll be fine. Mine still smell of the stuff now and we moved 8 months ago.

OH didn't have any work tools but I can remember him washing the lawn mower in the bath....

My advice is to bring as much as you can - if you are anything like my OH then you have collected stuff over years "just in case you ever need it" and the minute you throw it away and move out here, you'll find it's exactly the thing you need!

regarding fetching your tools, i had the same issue, i kinda collected and upgraded my tools over the years and never got rid of the older ones until it came to sorting through it all for the move.

The tools that i hadnt used over the last 12 months,or would have been far to hard to get clean i got rid on ebay, friends and family, from the the money i made i put to one side to use when i got here so to speak.#

I loved my tools(sad i know) the ones i kept were my dewlts gear for my power tools, a selection of the basics that your always are going to need,screwdrivers, hammers,work bench clamps,sanders ,chisles etc.... including newly bought paint brushes(the new stuff just took out of the new packaging) Cleaned them really well.

All these got shipped over. when we got here we just bought the essentials like screwdiver set, saw, socket set, adjustable spanners so we could put together furniture,new bikes etc..

Forgot to buy a hammer so used the adjustable spanner worked a treat when you dont have one,lol

Tool wise you get what you pay for i have found, you will find that out when you get here. Saying that we are renting so there isnt any massive projects to do until we buy a home/build one.

have fun with the cleaning, your going to hate it very soon...

all the best

Andrew

Guest lyn

Oh, the stench of Jeyes is wafting through the house as I type! OH has started cleaning our garage stuff today!

I love the smell of jeyes fluid, we used it raw on the bikes..............just to be certain!

I made my OH get rid of soooo many things, workbeches, table saws, and he was very sad about it.

now i am kicking myself that i did, they do cost more here imo........and he has relaced them, and a whole heap more.

Admittedly he uses auction sites mostly, but oh, the pain of raying out a second time.......

Let him keep as much as he can, that way you can spend the dosh on what YOU want!!!

Regards

Jane

Hi

Bring your tools and as many of them as you can if poss. Some are quite expensive to buy here unless you get them when the sales are on. We had some shipped spearately by air freight that my husband needed urgently (nail guns and hammers etc) and we picked up the following day after we arrived as had to go through immigration stuff. We have also had new tools couriered over here as even second hand it is expensive. Can always buy new adaptors here to charge them.