Guest wellington

Teaching Qualifications to migrate to SA

Guest wellington

My partner and I are looking to migrate to SA, we have had initial assessments and were about to start the process, but have come across a problem...any help/advice would be much appreciated...

My partner is a primary school teacher and after an initial assessment with a migration agent we were advised we had a pretty good case to move forward with. However when we got the initial forms for skills assessment etc we noticed that a 4 year teaching degree is the requirement. My partner complete a 3 year teaching degree in Primary Education with PE. We are therefore trying to find out if this is an acceptable qualification to progress with an application or if there is anything she can do to meet the requirements?

As I've already said any advise of help would be greatly received.

Many thanks in advance

I think Adelaide_bound might be one to help explain this. I am sure I recall reading a post recently on all this. Not sure if it was on here or our sister site. If I find it here I'll post a link to it for you.

Guest zidden

The priority for primary teaching has reduced from "High Availabilty" in November, "Medium Availability" in December to "Low Availability" in January as per the link

http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/immigrate_from_overseas/state_migration_plan_south_australia.jsp

It is likely to become very limited or not even possible to apply for South Australia using this occupation in the future. Bear in mind that your skills assessment will take 10 weeks and this is required prior to applying for your state sponsorship.

Information on qualifications can be found on the AITSL website, I have included a link to common Q and A.

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/teachers/assessment-for-migration/questions-and-answers.html

Hi

I agree with Zidden but you never know- with the planned immigration policy changes in July this year SA will prob still be offering state sponsorship in this profession.

Speak to your advisor and good luck.

We are waiting on decision- all our paperwork in in with SA

Guest Adelaide_bound

Sorry guys, its not a SA immi or DIAC thing, its a skills assessment thing, which for teachers is the remit of the AISTL.

My partner and I are looking to migrate to SA, we have had initial assessments and were about to start the process, but have come across a problem...any help/advice would be much appreciated...

My partner is a primary school teacher and after an initial assessment with a migration agent we were advised we had a pretty good case to move forward with. However when we got the initial forms for skills assessment etc we noticed that a 4 year teaching degree is the requirement. My partner complete a 3 year teaching degree in Primary Education with PE. We are therefore trying to find out if this is an acceptable qualification to progress with an application or if there is anything she can do to meet the requirements?

As I've already said any advise of help would be greatly received.

Many thanks in advance

I'm afraid that unfortunately your skills won't get a positive skills assessment from AISTL - it has to be either a 4 year BEd degree or a 3 Year (or more) BA/BSc followed by a 1 year full time ITT, eg the PGCE. 3 year Education degrees are not accepted as meeting the requirements unfortunately - a skills assessment will come back negative, so I'm afraid it would just be a waste of your readies :(

Your options would be:

1) Try and get a 457 employer sponsored visa - however without being harsh, this is very very unlikely for a Primary School teacher, especially with UK PE as a speciality, unless there are some outstanding strings to your bow and you are prepared to be seriously in the middle of nowhere (think the Shetlands with less people). Or try for the 457 on your skills/job if possible/eligible.

2) Get to Oz on another visa, eg student visa, and do the one/two year conversion/top up course at a uni in Oz. This will be very very expensive, but if you have your heart set on Oz and there aren't any other options for you, its a possibility, all be a pricey one.

3) Get to Oz on your qualifications/skills rather than your partner's.

Your partner cannot retrain in the UK either I'm afraid, once a teacher has QTS they are qualified and in the current climate, even if they paid their own fees, wouldn't be accepted on any PGCE course as demand is so high.

AITSL are pretty clear and strict with the requirements unfortunately :(

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/verve/_resources/Assessment_for_Migration_Application_Guide_2011.pdf

Assessment criteria

1. Educational

"Completion of study assessed by AITSL as comparable to at least four years full-time higher education* level study (or part-time equivalent) in Australia, that results in a qualification/s comparable to the education level of an Australian bachelor degree or higher."

Unfortunately a lot of agents don't seem to understand this simple requirement for teachers, which is a shame, as its not that hard a trick really, but end up giving incorrect advice to hopeful teacher migrants.

Guest Roo1

Just to back up what Adelaide_bound said and from my angle. I decided in July to become Teacher Registered. I was a primary school teacher in the UK but came out here on my husbands visa, as I didn't meet the "working full time for 12 month" requirement as I'd recently had our son.

Living here in Adelaide I had to contact my old UNI so my skills could be assessed. I did a 4 year B.Ed course 12 years ago so wondered if I'd still be on file. Fortuantly I was and my old UNI sent out all my reports and grading for course work etc. I sent all this in to Teacher Registration Board, then it took them another 5 weeks to assess my skills.

Once given the green light, I put forward my Teacher Application form. This took another 4 weeks to be assess and finally last week I got registered!!

Its along process, even this end in Adelaide!

Best of luck. I wish you both well and hopefully you'll find some way to get an Aussie Visa.

Judi x

Guest wellington

Thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated. Confirmed what we thought unfortunatley!

We are still talking to our advisor and looking at other options hopefully we'll find a route we can take.

Thanks again