Guest andyc

Early stages, please help

Guest andyc

Hi folks,

My family and i (wife and 2 young kids), are planning/hoping for a move to adelaide. I am a mental health charge nurse (10 years experience) and have been told by a migration agent that i will have more than enough points to qualify for a visa. Should i go the visa without the aid of an agent? Looking at the other costs which seem to add up enough, our concern is that getting an agent will be further expense that may not be needed.

Any advice much appreciated, not only with the visa but also nursing etc.

Many thanks, Andy

Hi folks,

My family and i (wife and 2 young kids), are planning/hoping for a move to adelaide. I am a mental health charge nurse (10 years experience) and have been told by a migration agent that i will have more than enough points to qualify for a visa. Should i go the visa without the aid of an agent? Looking at the other costs which seem to add up enough, our concern is that getting an agent will be further expense that may not be needed.

Many thanks, Andy

Hi Andy,

It really depends on your situation. If you have the points and no major complications then in my humble opinion there is no point in using an agent. You will find that everyone on here is very helpful and loads of brainy people who know loads more than most agents – don’t be afraid to ask.

Attend a few expos and gather up general information. Down load the IMMI booklets do a little reading and save ££££s

Then start with getting you qualifications assessed.

By the time you have done this you will have the confidence for the next action, and so bit by bit you will get there.

It’s not that hard really!!!

Regards

IrishStew (OH)

Guest pixie7

I agree- if your case is fairly straight forwards, read all about your visa and eligability on immi website and double check you have everything and you can start an app online just to have a look at.

Get skills assessed is starting point and start gathering all your docs now if possible.

Lots of people on here have done it alone.. we did- its lots of form filling but its all about you so you would have to tell an agent all the info anyway! Save your ££££'s for Oz!

Shout out if needing help

Guest andyc

thanks for the advice, looks like its going to be a long process but well worth it.

Hi Andy

Not using an agent will save you money for sure and if your able then do them your self, but be careful you don’t fill any of the forms out incorrectly as the immigration in OZ will send them back to you which will delay your emigration process. I friend started to do them their selves but got an agent involved as it became to much for them with working and all. We took their advise and used Concept Australia in Manchester as they are a registered migration agent (important) & worth it in my opinion.

Mark

If you are half decent at organising paperwork you don't need an agent as its pretty straight forward and there is always someone on here that will be able to help if you get stuck.

We never used one so I would save your money.

Chris.

We're doing it ourselves, first thing you need to do is sit a IELTS (academic version) as you will need this when you have your nursing skills assessed by ANMAC, if you can start getting as much of the info you need together now as it is a loooong process, we started this about a year ago and are currently waiting for state sponsorship to come through, you may not want or need to have this but dh is approaching 45 and we could do with the extra points. it is expensive but you're doing it in stages so not too bad until you come to the actual visa application itself.

http://www.ielts.org/

http://www.anmc.org.au/

Hope this helps,

Sue

We did it ourselves. All the guidance and forms for migrating are available online, and in our case it was quick, straightforward and relatively easy. Some prefer the peace of mind of using an agent, and others have complicated circumstances, but otherwise there's no reason not to do it yourself.

Jim

Guest Paula H

We used an agent and are 100% glad we did as my OH had to do vetassess and prove work exp etc, can honestly say we wouldnt have been able to do it without them. Things are changing this July also which im not sure if will affect you.

Best of luck :)

Hi folks,

Many thanks, Andy

Hi Andy

The Agent identified that you would be eligible for a subclass 176 visa, sponsored by the State Government of South Australia:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/176/

The sc 176 is part of the GSM Program. (GSM = General Skilled Migration.) For a GSM visa, you need a skills assessment from the relevant body and you also need to be able to attain at least 65 Points. However it is not necessary to have an Aussie employer who is willing to sponsor you for an employer-sponsored visa instead.

If you gp down the GSM route then my advice is that you should get on with it, pronto! The reason is because first you have to get the skills assessment which will include an IELTS test, I expect. The IELTS tests are held in the UK but not terribly frequently. Once you have the skills assessment, then you have to apply for State Sponsorship next. It is necessary to complete both of these steps before you can apply for a GSM visa.

The rules are going to change completely on 1st July 2012. With effect from midnight on 30 June/1st July 2012, it will no longer be possible just to make a voluntary application for a GSM visa. As soon as the new rules come in, it will be necessary to submit an Expression of Interest and then wait for the Australian Government to invite you to apply for a GSM visa. Most Agents are advising people to hurry and apply for their GSM visas before the new rules take effect.

The Aussie Visa system is not intrinsically difficult and it is not inherently difficult to understand it, either. However it does need a newcomer to the process to be able to devote enough spare time to swotting over the DIAC and related websites to make sure that s/he understands exactly what to do, in what order etc. Some people can't spare the time needed. Others give up trying to do it without help because they are sure they cannot get their brains round it all by themselves. In either situation, a competent, experienced migration agent can help because s/he has done it all before etc.

If you decide to use a migration agent, please make sure to use an agent who is personally registered with the MARA:

https://www.mara.gov.au/agent/ARSearch.aspx?FolderID=394

Read up about the sc 176 and see how you feel, I suggest. The link for your occupation is below:

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/r/registered-nurse-mental-health.htm

It is not difficult but it is quite fiddly & detailed if you have never dealt with an Aussie visa before.

Read the words and then decide whether or not you need a Registered Migration Agent to give you a hand. It is perfectly possible to start the process on your own and instruct an RMA later on if you then feel that you need a hand.

Cheers

Gill

If you add up the costs of the visas that you have to pay diac and the medicals etc, I just found it piece of mind to have someone you could call upon to find out where you had reached in the process.

Over the two years I certainly got my value out of them and a permanent visa all in all I was happy with the fee and the service.

Good luck with your plan to move down under.

Hi

We are another family that did it by ourselves. The process for us took 11 months from sending first documents off to actually being in Australia. It was taxing and a pain at times but not difficult. Good luck!!

Guest markysharky

Hey

myself and my partner went through an agent i think it was less stressfull than doing it yourself.Sure they charged us but what we thought was that if we did it our selves and missed something out or something wasnt quite right then the application just gets put to the bottom of the pile and it could take ages to get back up there.At least the agents no exactly wot is needed and they can make sure its right first time before they even think about sending it off to the australian government ...Just my opinion

Louise & mark

Guest Guest8609

We got our visas (176) without agent and I think that it was a very good decision.

I was very well prepared, observing DIAC website and various forums for a longer while. Honestly, I wouldn't trust agents - I've seen too many examples of people not getting proper service or situations where agent is too late uploading some docs or lies to the Client he has uploaded something but in fact he lost those docs... How to check an Agent who lies he took care of something but he didn't?

I understand it may be tough choice, but in case of professions where you can clearly prove your education and experience I don't see the point getting an agent. Depends also how good you are with documentation, deadlines, etc. I was very focused and I must say I did all the job and now I think it all was VERY easy. I'm not even a native English speaker, but with double checking everything I could not skip anything. Another reason we didn't take an agent was actually, that after so many changes DIAC was doing to visa requirements, there simply were NO experienced agents. Same thing will happen right after July 2012 - with all the new rules there won't be experienced agents (maybe to some extent only). They won't know much more than immigrants learning new rules from DIAC website.

My advice is - follow all the checklists DIAC or assessing body gives you. Invest in a cheap scanner and follow advice from forums (double checking with DIAC /other institutions too). Don't trust anyone fully, always double check, you can even ask DIAC or your CO when you have one.

We saved a lot of money not only on agents, but on notaries as well (thanks to the guys from pomsinoz forum!)- we literally notarised a few documents only, absolute minimum. Usually agents ask to have everything notarised just in case - well, because they don't pay for it! Also we didn't fill in 'the dreadful Form 80' and nothing happened - CO never asked for it. I bet the Agent would push for it , again 'just in case'. Overall, getting our visa was a piece of cake (even including State Sponsorship), I can't believe how easy it was, compared to previous years when DIAC was changing regulations so often that we couldn't find a safe (stable) 'slot' with our visa application. Twice we were ready and twice we lost points, I knew all that without any agents, simply following DIAC and forums. So we waited for a couple of years for the clear situation and it was worth it.

Lots of interesting comments for and against using an agent here.

With time being of the essence with the introduction of the new EoI model on 01/07/2012 - that's my view anyway - I'm not sure that there is the luxury of doing research and gathering knowledge to go it alone.

If the relative lottery of the EoI model appeals - by all means take a few weeks working out what is required.

If it doesn't, speak with one of the good firms of migration agents ASAP!

Good luck to all.

Hi Alan

You do know that I am a 'Bitch On A Broomstick' when it comes to protecting people whom I believe are vulnerable. You know that better than most. So where is your reply to my recent e-mail to you?

Gill

Hi folks,

Many thanks, Andy

Hi Andy

As it happens, I agree with Alan Collett in his post #15 on this thread. Ordinarily, I am a great believer in the idea that people can do visa applications by themselves. In my observation, they can.

However time is now running very short in which to do everything that is necessary before a valid application for a GSM visa can be lodged. (GSM = General Skilled Migration. GSM visas are skilled independent visas that rely on a Points test instead of relying on an employer in Oz who would sponsor you for a visa.)

I think that there is no longer enough time for people like you to be able to deal with a GSM visa by yourself before the cut-off date of 30th June 2012. Therefore there is no time to use a dopey or dilatory migration agent either.

Alan Collett and his team are neither dopey or dilatory. They do know exactly what they are doing and they are very conscious of the fact that the clock is now ticking against them.

I've moaned at Alan about a different issue, which is to do with people who have applied for Aged Parent visas. I e-mailed him several days ago about it and I am waiting for Alan's reply. If I have to wait for too long, I'll get the Broomstick out of the shed and start riding around on it..... so Alan has been warned!

However, he is 100% right about GSM visas. I don't think that there is enough time for DIY efforts at the moment. It takes too long for an ordinary mortal like me to get my head round every single point that is going to be relevant and must be addressed. It will be much quicker to use a Registered Migration Agent, I believe.

Cheers

Gill