Misplaced

Clarity Please

Hi,

As you may know my OH has just had het subclass 100 visa granted but we are a little confused.

The email states that she can't claim any benefit until she has been in Oz for 2 years but the infer on DIAC says she can claim some benefits.

Can anyone put some clarity on this?

And before people start going on about us being scroungers we aren't it is a genuine question and we hope we will never have to claim any sort of benefit when in Oz :mad:

[TABLE=class: tableborder]

[TR]

[TD]You are eligible for some benefits, hope this helps:smile:

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: tableborder]

[TR]

[TD]Partner permanent visa (subclass 100)

[/TD]

[TD]

• you are permitted to enter or remain permanently in Australia with your partner
    • you are entitled to work and study in Australia
    • you may enrol in Australia's medical benefits expenses and hospital care scheme, Medicare.
      See: Medicare
    • you may be eligible to receive certain social security payments (as you are exempt from the two year Newly Arrived Residents Waiting Period)
      See: Centrelink
    • you may be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
    • you are permitted to enter or remain in Australia with your partner

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Is it worth emailing them directly? And explaining that your not too sure about it.

Good luck

I will do - I was hoping that someone on hear had gone through the same thing and could advise on their experience.

I will do - I was hoping that someone on hear had gone through the same thing and could advise on their experience.

Hi Mis

I have no personal experience that would be relevant to you but please see the link below:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/individuals/settle_pay_permres.htm

Generally, a new migrant can't claim Special Benefit during his/her first 2 years as a Permanent Resident but if something like a bush fire destroys the new migrant's home (and all his/her money under the mattress, presumably) then SB can be claimed.

Also, all new migrants are able to get immediate help with the costs of involved with caring for children. It might take time for the new migrant to find a job etc. It is not reasonable not to help the new migrant's children during that time.

Also, you are an Australian Citizen so there are very few restrictions on what you could claim, I would guess. As long as your wife sticks with you, there probably wouldn't be any real problems in practice.

Cheers

Gill