wizzywozza

My 21 YEAR thread ...............

Well ................ today I have been in Oz for 21 years. I was going to write a long and informative post to mark this milestone but I think in all honesty it really comes down to one or two questions ............

1. Am I happy here?

and

2. Knowing what I know now would I do it again?

The answer to the first question is mainly YES, but I DO still get homesick and I DO miss my family terribly. So not 100% happy for a multitude of reasons, (many others too personal to put here) but in the main OK'ish.

And as for the second question ................................ NO ............. not in a million years would I do it again. The grass is most defintely not greener, the sunsets are not all rosy, and it's in no way sipping chardonnay on the balcony whilst admiring the sea views.

Australia is bloody hard work, high taxes, a slipping standard of living, and for those doing it tough, like many on PIA are, it's a daily struggle which is neverending.

That's it ..... my opinion as a VERY OLD hand at this emigrating lark.

Sharon

I agree with you if I had know what it would have been like now I would never have made the move.Great for the first 4- 5 years as everything is new and exciting but it soon wears off. It is getting harder and the standard of living is slipping as you have said and I dont see it getting any better any time soon.

Congratulations on hitting this milestone. Got a way to go myself before I can catch up with you, but see completely where you're coming from on both your questions and your answers!

To be honest, I'm not a navel-gazing type of person so I rarely ask myself if I'd do something again - I look on it that I did it, it's done, now I have to deal with it and make the best of it! I do think I'll always feel like a foreigner here, even though I was actually born in Australia, but hey, I'm here, and I'll get on with being here! Similarly, if I was still in the UK, or back there for some reason I'd try and do the same! I think the whole emigrating thing makes you find out things about yourself that you'd have never done if you'd stayed put - and I guess that's possibly a good thing....or possibly not!

You can't chase happiness - it's too elusive. You just have to try and find it wherever you are, and in the people who you're with. Be happy, Sharon, and I hope your life brings you and Rik good things.

Guest Guest5035

shaz we were on the plane 4 days behind you the same year 1991,

didn't realise that diane was actually born in Australia, which technically means her name is..(she'll hate me..)...Dinky Di..

stevo

Wow, i read this thread and was in awe of you people. I admire you all big time. We are here a fraction of your time and it is not easy. However, having spent time in Europe after the "GFC", you would not believe how much more difficult things are in Europe compared to here. I have no doubt you made the right decision for your family, as I believe we did. 3 years in with us and we love it still. Kids and adults. It is not easy.

fair play to you guys. Respect!!!

Guest Jo&Phil

It's very difficult to know what life would have been like had we stayed in the UK, or moved anywhere else for that matter .... so many things change and we change with them; home is rarely the same place we left behind.

While we're reflecting: I've been here 9 years and it's been a very good move for me both personally and professionally and while I miss people and things - I am happy with the choice I made ........ but maybe one day circumstances, wishes, interests may change and I may do something different. Moving anywhere or doing anything doesn't have to be forever, enjoy what you can where you are .... and if you need to make changes to make you happy, why not give it a go?!

Congrats on your major milestone!

And thank you for your honesty - good for those of us hoping to make a new life in Adelaide to know that the grass is not greener. It's what you make of it right?

We have wanted to emigrate for the last ten years, but there was always a reason not to do it yet... if we don't do it now it'll never happen and I don't want to get into my old age thinking "if only.."

I like what Jo&Phil said "and if you need to make changes to make you happy, why not give it a go?!" That's it in a nutshell.

Congratulations!

I would actually love to read the longer version as I bet it would be fascinating. That said, I kinda like the two question/answer thing.

We're only a third of your time in and things are going just fine for us. We feel part of our local community and it has felt like home for many years now. And I don't feel like a foreigner :)

But, I wonder how we'll feel fourteen years on? Would you have answered your own questions differently back then, Wizzy?

I don't read many forums but it sometimes seems to me that people who have been here 20+ years have more of a hankering for the UK? And I wonder why...or even whether our plans to become grey nomads with our mates will turn to a, regret almost, that we ever migrated?

I'm not normally an introspective kind of person lol but your post has made me think - which is a strange feeling for me ;)

Oh well! Party on, Wizzywozza!

LC x

Yea Shazza...was expecting a much longer version!!!! Haha!!!

But everything you said, I'm almost agreeing with you. The only part im not sure about is would i do it again knowing what i know now?

Guest Barney Rubble

Well it'll be 24 years for us in October :cool:and all of the above are so true.

Heartaches . . . . . . . . .yes.

Regrets . . . . . . . . . . . yes.

Would i do it again . . . yes.

I often say the best way to accept what you/we have done is in the words of a song by Paul Young.

Where-ever i lay my hat, thats my home.

(Could post a u-tube link to the song but i don't need to.)

Going back is just that, rekindling the memories.

Reality is moving back then possibly realising that the holiday eyes are wearing off.

It took a couple of years for us to finalise the choice whether or not to stay or return, it is that, a choice.

I think of people who leave their houses in the UK and come here are lucky people but ultimately they'll have an easier return option.

A welder i worked with lived in Melboure for 5 years returned as his wife was homesick.

He told me:

No-one cares how much money you have

No-one will meet you with a red carpet at the airport

It's a big place and you'll get out of it what you put into it

Before leaving in 88 I met so many people who told me they were going to emigrate to Australia and the next word was always, but . . . . . . . . .

To the 'ping-pong-poms' i say hold your head high 'cause you gave it a go.

Don't bag the country for your reasons as they are just excuses for you trying to justify your choice.

That's my 2 bob's worth :biggrin:

I don't, Adelaide always feels like coming home for me. It has been 20 years since I last lived in England and I thoroughly enjoy going for visits. My kids love being the prodigal grandchildren and laugh about this with their cousins when they go over. We all know that what we see when we go over is very much a holiday view, much as when I visited Cambodia, I left thinking how nice it would be to live in Siem Riep.... of course when you live somewhere the little niggles and problems of doing business etc arrive. I'm glad my children grew up here, they have had many more opportunities than we could have afforded in the UK and their outlook is much more global than perhaps it would have been. I am the kind of person though who could probably live anywhere. I think your feelings are quite common with long term migrants from many backgrounds, but you can never truly go back, because a piece of you always belongs somewhere else. The people you left have moved on with their lives and so have the countries you left behind. A lot of Italian and Greek migrants who have spent a long time here go back for some time regularly and feel they have a foot in each country, belonging to both.