Guest ozdreamsa

40kg allowance of luggage n airlines

Guest ozdreamsa

Hi

I have seen that couple of members mentioned thar Singapore airlines offer 40 kg, but is there any other airlines give the same? Should I contact that specific airlines?

Its for if you have an unvalidated permanent visa. On Singapore Airlines anyways. And I am not sure if it applies out of anywhere other than the UK or EU. Also if you have connecting flights that are not code shares with SA they probably won't (and don't have to) honour the excess and will most likely charge you per kilo for it. Even code shares do not have to honour the excess and you should read the small print on the specific airlines websites.

Qantas may still offer an excess or a migrant fare but I can't recall exactly. You have to ask them about this as they don't advertise it widely.

BA seem to do the cheapest excess baggage but only fly into Sydney and possibly Melbourne these days. Otherwise they codeshare with Qantas. So excess would/could be applied (although it seems to be a grey area with the transit flights if you get BA to Singapore and then fly on a different flight with Qantas to Adelaide, I've read of one person saying they didn't get charged, others have been iirc)

Emirates offer 30kg baggage in economy as standard iirc. But their prices can be a little more.

I'd say its worth contacting the airlines direct and seeing what they say. Better to hear it from then than chance it.

If you've extra you want to get there quickly there are some companies will air freight it out within a few days for you and the costs are reasonable.

FWIW back when we came out in 2004 Singapore, Malaysian and Cathay all offered the 40kg one-way emigration allowance.

Cathay DO NOT offer this anymore :sad:

Many airlines are cutting back. Carrying excess baggage costs them they say and more and more the costs are being passed on to the passengers. Gone are the days of a few kilos of excess being waved on through.

Hello

we came over in September 2011 with Qantas on a 457 visa and got 40kg baggage allowance each (two adults ,two large suitcases each).

Guest ozdreamsa

Thank you all for replies, checked with jetstar and looks like they do not allow 40 kg, will fly from Japan to Adelaide, may be only option is Singapore airlines

Sorry to disagree but we travelled with them and had the full 40kg last October as we were validating a permanent resident's visa!

Might be worth checking with them first