Guest guest1255

mount gambier

Guest guest1255

hi all

we are going camping next wk in mount gambier...never been before. can anyone recommend some things to do and places to go.

cheers:wink:

tess

Guest bigal

Like most places not an abundance of things to do,up by the Big4 campsite is the Blue lake, if you go into the kiosk you can buy tickets and a guy will take you down to the lake and tell you a bit about it ,it's the towns water supply and is only a beautiful blue colour certain times of the year, over by the Big 4 is a bit of a wildlife/fauna area, in the town some nice gardens can't remember what they're called, if you have time and it's not to far out of your way we liked the free swimming lake[cleaned and chlorinated] and the caves at Naracoorte I personally enjoyed seeing the bats exit the batcave at dusk I thought the caves were brilliant, but thought the entry fees were a bit steep,on holiday you might only get the opportunity once. Big4 at Mt. Gambier & Naracoorte are reasonably good sites. have a good time,probably a bit cooler down there.

Guest guest1255

thanks very much ...we have booked a site in big4

cheers

tess x

Guest SA Great

Go to the Umpherson Sink Hole in the town. Best to go about an hour before it gets dark. Heaps of possums there. Take a loaf of bread and a torch and you can hand feed the possums. Free entry too!!

As said, feed the sinkhole possums (they prefer currant buns to bread), climb up Mt Schank, see the coast at Pt MacDonnell. Also have a red curry at the Thai cafe on the corner of Commercial Rd East and Krummel St.

Guest Damien

Hey bigal 'not much to do' down here! You're having a laugh. I've been down here a year and still haven't finished exploring the place. I get to drive on deserted pristine beaches, the fishing is awesome, the coastline is nothing like Adelaide, there's the sinkholes, craters, Canunda National Park, the Glenelg River at Nelson where you can hire kayaks and motor boats, seeing the fairy penguins at Cape Northumberland, diving, snorkelling, abalone, rock lobster, tuna/shark charter fishing......need I go on. Maybe you need to visit the region again.

It is a fair bit cooler though, especially at night. And the Banana Tree Cafe has moved closer to town.

My outlaws have been here for a month and still haven't done everything they should before they go, too much to cram in.

Damo

We were there for 4 days last January and took nearly 2 weeks to 'do' the Limestone Coast - Coorong/Meningie - Nelson and hardly touched the surface. Ww look forward to a return trip soon.

Guest SA Great

OK Damien...good if you like fishing then! Agree with Glenelg river though. Excellent spot.

Guest Damien

Ok, it is good if you like fishing, but I did forget THE best place to visit - Coonawarra and Penola. Free wine ooh yeah!