Guest the Tews

Beaurocracy Rant!

Guest the Tews

Hi, to everyone who thinks that filling in endless forms for emigration is over when you have your visa in hand - forget it.

When we arrived we were told we could get the equivalent of family allowance, yes we can, only is it really worth it? Firstly we went to centrelink, which was awful never went to the equivalent place in england thank god. After waiting forever we saw a lady who photocopied our passports and gave us an application number to use on the internet, so she didnt have to do anything. Started filling blasted form in online (before kids started school), asked most stupid questions, migrants should have a different form i think, form said " you stated ....... Has been out of the country since 2005 ( for example), dates please........." yes they have because they were born in england, as already stated, and weve just moved here!! Then couldnt go any further as they wanted date that the kids started school - you couldnt put in a future date and it was the summer holidays. Multiply this by 3 and it signed me out as id been filling it in too long! Then at the end you have to either send or take documents to medicare office, passports again, rental agreement, visa, tax file numbers, shoe size (joking that one!). Took stuff in today as you have 2 weeks or they ignore your application. Applied for my tax file number last week only because they need it and i didnt know. My TFN application number is not good enough, 1st woman did not know what she was doing, 2nd woman was rather rude all for them to do was to photocopy it all. And i have to phone up when i get my TFN.

Really, really, really annoyed! You cant even go and buy a simple mobile phone/ dongle/ sim card without proof of id - absolutely stupid. Great country but the beaurocracy is staggeringly dreadful.:mad:

Feel a little better now, Andrea

Guest BrianS

You can buy a mobile, Internet dongle without ID unless it's contract of course. You just sign a form instead on prepay, I do it every other week when we get a new internet dongle when they are on special at Coles or woolies.

think you have just been unlucky, i did all the above first day i got here no problems the people were great explained everything to me. hopefully you will get service in your next adventure :)

Last time I had to fill out this info, it was an 80 page form...... take a deep breath.....once it's all done then it's done..... People entering the UK have all kinds of bureaucracy too, in fact any country really.

Guest Squareman

Exactly! You would not believe the hassles my brother had emigrating from South Africa to the Uk, despite the fact that he has a British passport. Absolutely shocking.

And I agree about the ID issue. You cant enter into ANY contract agreement without ID verification. Even if its bought outright, all developed countries are linking sim cards to ID's to mitigate criminal use of mobile telephony.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

When we went in to register for Medicare the lady in there gave us all the info on registering for family tax benefit online. She also said not to rush as we needed the TFN before they would process it, and if they don't get it within 30 days then your application will be dropped. Sounds like you've had a time of it but you were maybe just unlucky because i have to say we found them very helpful.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
    You can buy a mobile, Internet dongle without ID unless it's contract of course. You just sign a form instead on prepay, I do it every other week when we get a new internet dongle when they are on special at Coles or woolies.

We got 2 sim cards and a dongle all on prepay and had to provide ID for all of them. Not a problem as our passports went everywhere with us to start with and it only took 2 mins but we were asked for it every time.

Should have applied for your TFN within a few days of arrival. We went through the same process with centrelink recently without too much trouble. Just unlucky i guess.

TFN was the first thing we did, followed by Medicare, activating bank accounts, applying for Seniors cards and getting SA drivers licence. The staff at the office we visited (Marion) couldn't have been more helpful. Guess you were just unlucky!

Guest BrianS
    We got 2 sim cards and a dongle all on prepay and had to provide ID for all of them. Not a problem as our passports went everywhere with us to start with and it only took 2 mins but we were asked for it every time.

Must have been my lucky week every fortnight then, have never had to show Id when getting anything on prepay, unless it's changed in the last week. I'm not saying its not the case but I have never experienced it at all and as I said I get a new dongle every couple of weeks, not just a top up but a whole new dongle

Guest smit
    Hi, to everyone who thinks that filling in endless forms for emigration is over when you have your visa in hand - forget it.

When we arrived we were told we could get the equivalent of family allowance, yes we can, only is it really worth it? Firstly we went to centrelink, which was awful never went to the equivalent place in england thank god. After waiting forever we saw a lady who photocopied our passports and gave us an application number to use on the internet, so she didnt have to do anything. Started filling blasted form in online (before kids started school), asked most stupid questions, migrants should have a different form i think, form said " you stated ....... Has been out of the country since 2005 ( for example), dates please........." yes they have because they were born in england, as already stated, and weve just moved here!! Then couldnt go any further as they wanted date that the kids started school - you couldnt put in a future date and it was the summer holidays. Multiply this by 3 and it signed me out as id been filling it in too long! Then at the end you have to either send or take documents to medicare office, passports again, rental agreement, visa, tax file numbers, shoe size (joking that one!). Took stuff in today as you have 2 weeks or they ignore your application. Applied for my tax file number last week only because they need it and i didnt know. My TFN application number is not good enough, 1st woman did not know what she was doing, 2nd woman was rather rude all for them to do was to photocopy it all. And i have to phone up when i get my TFN.

Really, really, really annoyed! You cant even go and buy a simple mobile phone/ dongle/ sim card without proof of id - absolutely stupid. Great country but the beaurocracy is staggeringly dreadful.:mad:

Feel a little better now, Andrea

Chill out.....................you are stressed and everything is different, they wont change so you have to work through the system, if you look from a chilled angle things wont look so bad. Believe me i was a bit stressed 6 years ago!!!

I can relate to this frustration from the OP.Red Tape here can be really daunting,and frankly anal.Some of the criteria you must fulfil when dealing with official bodies is astounding.A little common sense would often suffice.This issue is the last thing people need after all the stress of moving to the other side of the World IMO.

Wait to you start work the child allowance goes on what you make and can go up and down and end up paying them money we had a nightmare with it but that was about 14 years ago.

You have my sympathies - the online Centrelink website is very poorly designed and written - I can remember getting very frustrated with it. In the past we often used to receive letters from Centrelink a few days apart saying the exact opposite. They don't know whether they are coming or going sometimes.

In general I find Australia a very bureacratic country, with far too many people in non-productive jobs dotting "i's" and crossing "t's". When my husband applied for 'leave to remain' (ie. work) in the UK as the husband of a British Citizen there was very little paperwork in comparison to the hoops we Brits have to go through to get a spouse visa for Australia (it may be different now though). Hopefully things will get easier as you get yourselves 'official' and registered in the system. Good Luck!

Nope it's still the same. You do have the option of not being paid anything during the year and once you put your tax return in and they know what you have earned, then they pay you a lump sum. Or you tell them what you think your income will be and add a bit just incase. They balance the books at the end of the year and if they owe you then they pay you HOWEVER if you have earned more than what you predicted then you will have to pay them back :(