Guest WelshBen

IT work in Adelaide

Guest WelshBen

Hi folks,

I am awaiting the results of my skills assessment, and rapildly approaching selecting a state for state sponsorship. As a software tester, my two options are South Australia and Victoria. South Australia is my first choice, as the lifestyle looks exactly what I'm looking for. I have been studying the Oz job sites, onbviously Victoria has by far more work in my field, but can any IT professionals in SA give me any reassurance that i can have successful career in SA? I have over 10 years experience and specialse in the financial services area.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben.

Hi Ben,

Something that may help you make your decision - on the State Migration Plan for SA, Software Tester (261314) is listed as "Special Conditions Applies". So unless you meet the special conditions, you won't qualify for sponsorship :( Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Maybe you could try another visa? Or apply to Victoria, you can always move to SA after!!

Hope this helps

sinob

Guest jen&ian

My husband had 10 years commercial experience as software developer in uk before we moved but was virtually impossible to find related work here in Adelaide. He ended up going into business for himself now runs own web design company, we made it work because we love it here, but had our move been dependent on his job would have been up poop creek.

Hope you find a way to make it work for you, best of luck.

Guest WelshBen

Thanks both for your reply.

With regards to the 'Special Conditions Apply' - that's a good spot, thanks. I'm confident I could get reassed as 'ICT Systems Test Engineer' as its alomst identical and still listed, but that would eat up precious time with the July changes looming.

I think the lack of IT work, will push me towards Victoria - initially anyway. Fingers crossed my occupation stays on the SOL.

Thanks again.

Doesn't sound great about the IT jobs - we are hoping to be over sometime later this year, and I'll be looking for sys \ network admin style jobs....hopefully someone can offer a little hope on that front?

Guest viewaskew
    Doesn't sound great about the IT jobs - we are hoping to be over sometime later this year, and I'll be looking for sys \ network admin style jobs....hopefully someone can offer a little hope on that front?

Ditto here. Got our 176 last year and was out in Aug11 to activate them and see Adelaide in its beauty. Loved it and now looking to move late UK Summer so the kids are settled for new school year in Jan 13.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but as it may help others as well as myself in the search, does anyone have any recommendations as far as I.T. agencies go or is it a case of the big boys such as Hays etc?

Hi all,

Hope someone can give us an idea as to what the prospects are for IT employment in Adelaide particularly for Software Developers.

Cheers

Scott

Guest pixie7

Hi my OH is network/systems admin, we've been here just over a month, so we arrived when Adelaide was still shut down- sounds odd but it does virtually shut for the kids summer hols and Christmas and Oz day. February it all starts back up. I happily waved my OH off to work today as he completed his first week!

Dont panic, there is quite alot of work here- he has about 6 applications in, be flexible- hes getting good money working on a contract which was a month but has been extended, for a big company, but hes not quite doing what he usually does! The first job, the first Oz reference is the key- alot is worrd of mouth in this industry- take anything initially and get an Oz employer as a reference and apparently all will be good!

Microsoft 2008 is big here and Citrix. Cant help with Software developers sorry! Have a look at agencies below and Seek etc, maybe also etc Linkedin profile up and running.

My advice is once over contact agencies (Hays, Spin IT, Talent International to name a few) and get registered. But a word of warning- things move slowly here... shortlisting takes ages..even when they say immediate start! SO be patient (haha we were tearing our hair out with frustration this time last week!) and have enough money to last a few months with no income. Wages are good :)

Anything else you need to know please shout out x

Guest viewaskew

Thanks pixie7, any positive input is appreciated. My OH is a teacher also and Im the sys admin in the family. Plan is for me to come out first and setup camp and month or so the clan follows so its good to know its not all doom and gloom that my NSW pals paint of SA for me. Haven’t interviewed in such a long time, was hoping to do so from here in the comfort of my current role but reality is that if you’re not on the ground there, you’ve got no chance.

Hi

My techie peeps suggest going direct to companies such as Dimention data, Data Com, Data Action, NEC and Universities.

Get yourselves on to Linked In as it is all about the networking in this industry! Make sure you have a good clear profile with a decent photo and some references.

Dont forget to explain what Visa you have and what it means to the business.

BTW If anyone has experience in or is interested in developing themselves in the area of Information Security Management then PM me! We are looking for people to fill several roles from Junior through to Senior consultants :)

Kind Regards and Good luck

Yvonne

Some useful advice there, thank you. I guess you are going to be taken more seriously once you are actually there, or at least have the Visa in hand.

Guest racheljimme

In my opinion you have 10 year large experience in your field which can help to make better carrier in SA. You open your own business here and also many MNC company available. So you make batter carrier there.

You should be fine for System/Network Admin work. A lot of IT work is through agencies though on a contract basis.

My partner got a permanent job as a Senior Network Officer pretty much straight away when we arrived. Although the pay was less than contracting work it was a permanent job which suited us more. The organisation was a not-for-profit (charity) so they did not pay big money, but he was happy with the salary considering we had just arrived and had no Australian work history. In the first year he was there they spent $10,000 on training for him which enabled him to keep his IT skills up to date, they also promoted him and he got to work on a range of IT work instead of limiting his skills to one thing. When he left they advertised the job a couple of times and could not recruit and got a poor response. It is worth keeping in mind that as new arrivals sometimes you are better to look at the big picture of what is on offer rather than just the money aspect of the role and go for jobs where there will be less competition.

Guest steveygee

Have to say I'm struggling a little too, but that said it may be because I am on a temporary Visa. Might have to go and be a dirty miner for a bit or something!

That's put my mind at rest a little, thank you. I've got no problems with picking up whatever IT work I can really, obviously a sys admin job is the goal but whatever I can get rolling with will be good!

Guest steveygee

Dude there's also very kind people on here such as Yvonne who offered to take a look at my CV etc for me, always very helpful to have an australian looking CV or "resume"

Dude there's also very kind people on here such as Yvonne who offered to take a look at my CV etc for me, always very helpful to have an australian looking CV or "resume"

Thanks again! I was wondering about my CV so I'll have a look at following that up.

Guest miraclebabycaw

Glad to see it's not all doom and gloom here. I am an analyst programmer (11 years experience) in Progress 4GL. I am waiting for approval of my 176 visa and hope to be over by the end of the year. I have been looking for the last couple of months and have not seen one job in Progress at all. I console myself with the fact that it is only 2 years then we can move wherever we want. At the time of looking for state sponsorship our agent did not tell us Vic was available as well so we lodged with Adelaide as this seemed our only route. Only later did we find out Vic was also available. We then lodged with them but they can take 12w to process and would you know it, 2 days later Adelaide came back as positive. You only have 60 days to accept so my hubby and I decided it was our foot in and to rather take it.

Anyone have any ideas of what skills in development are really wanted. Seems to be a lot of .Net and occassionally Java. I don't really have anything else besides Progress. I have done numerous courses over the years in things like VB, Delphi, C, but never been in the position to use them so they were really wasted. I have thought about doing some courses before we come over but don't want to waste any more money either if I am not going to be able to use them. Progress is a small community so I am hoping to get references from here (I am currently in South Africa working for the largest Progress Partner in South Africa), but does anyone know if employees in SA are willing to cross-train? We have had to cross train senior developers here as there is not enough developers in progress on a senior level so it can be done. Also any ideas on Salary to expect? I know they say don't set your sites too high but I was thinking $70000 (if I push it, that is before super?). Am I being unrealistic...full of pipe dreams? It will be me, my hubby and 2 kiddos. My hubby works in the bank and is hoping to "retrain" in something else.

Guest Jeremy

Hi Guys,

I am an Australian Analyst Developer with 8 years experience, my current focus being C# .Net. I recently returned to Adelaide from the UK and I think the IT job market is excellent here at the moment. I would strongly suggest that you have a look on seek.com.au for IT&T jobs in Adelaide. Go back through the last couple of weeks worth of job ads and see if you find anything that is applicable to you. There are dozens of new opportunities coming up everyday and wages are quite competitive with the rest of the country. Personally I found lots of opportunities for my own skill set, and it only took me a few weeks to get a role (I actually had to choose between 2 offers in the end.)

To get a bit of an idea about wages, Google "Peoplebank Salary Survey" and follow the links to Adelaide. This gives you a good indication on what salary to expect for your role. My experience in Adelaide is that after you apply for a couple of jobs on Seek, the agents will hold onto your CV and start to come looking for you when an appropriate job comes up.

Hope somebody finds this helpful!

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Guest ozdreamsa

Hi Jeremy, great update n thanks for the info.