Guest Adelaide_bound

Arrival report - 3 days in

Guest Adelaide_bound

Hiya all,

Sorry this is a bit late in coming - internet access and jetlag are conspiring against us!

This is a bit of a cheat, as we're actually in Perth at the moment, not Adelaide, but thought it would still be useful for some :D

OK - a couple of things I would do differently - a) take the stop over! I cannot stress this enough - we had to fly straight through with 1 hour at Singapore, and we are completely and utterly wrecked. Get some sleep at Singapore airport in the transit hotel if nothing else, your body and brain will thank you and b) don't stay in a hotel, make sure you get a short term rental for a few weeks - not knowing where anything is, is a bit of a nightmare and not helping with the feeling organised and unruffled feelings.

My main moans covered, an overall summing up of our experiences so far I guess.

Singapore Airlines Heathrow - Sing - Perth - check in girl was not a Singapore Girl in anyway - a miserable, trout faced old bag more like. Long story that I'm too tired to go into, but that wasn't a great start. We did have way over the allowance (she was only going to allow us to have the normal 20kg until I gave the Pixie death stare lol), and shipped it with Excess baggage - hopefully it will be here on Monday. 37Kg, 2 bags, cost £360 + the AQIS fee when it gets here.

The first leg of the flight was amazing - if you have the chance to sit upstairs in economy on the A380 (it didn't crash, so can't be that unsafe Steve :rolleyes:) TAKE IT - especially if its one of the window seat bits - you get extra storage lockers down the sides which gives you just that extra bit of room, and the attendants are so attentive its crazy. The food was super yum, but it is still a very long flight :( Singapore airport is amazing - feels so calm and serene. Really loved it. The Sing-Perth leg was horrid, really old plane that stunk of wee, was freezing cold (everyone on the plane had loads of extra blankets on them), the food wasn't as good, and I really really thought we were going to die coming in to land (possibly due to the wind?). Arrivals at Perth wasn't bad, very helpful and lovely - no problems bringing in any of the food we had with us at all.

Taxi to hotel, near Murray Street Mall, was $40 - Miss Maud's hotel is good if you like a very quiet early night (I think we were the youngest occupants by a good 40 or 50 years!), the breakfast is AMAZING! Perth is very hot. but the breeze is lovely.

Transferring ownership of a car in WA is as easy as, the hardest bit is the wait at the DVLA-equivilant offices, but there are chairs, air con and a film playing so not all bad. Validating bank account, very easy as well, although we didn't have our bank cards there as promised, which was a bit annoying, but then we were going to have to wait a week for the debit/Visa cards to come through anyway, at least I now get to have one in Hot Pink, which is nice. The staff at the branch couldn't have been more helpful and lovely.

We haven't done anything else, other than but the camper, as we are so so jetlagged its not funny. Will sort our medicare and stuff next week - this weekend will sleep! lol

Anyway, not a lot done, but I instantly feel relaxed and happy here, so hope that continues :)

Will not be around again for a few days whilst we continue to sort our lives out, hope everyone is well :)

Well done guys, I can't wait till they work out how to do that Star Trek teleporting thing! You've got the worst bit over now, and you can start the fun stuff! Enjoy...

Guest Jennet
    Hiya all,

Sorry this is a bit late in coming - internet access and jetlag are conspiring against us!

This is a bit of a cheat, as we're actually in Perth at the moment, not Adelaide, but thought it would still be useful for some :D

OK - a couple of things I would do differently - a) take the stop over! I cannot stress this enough - we had to fly straight through with 1 hour at Singapore, and we are completely and utterly wrecked. Get some sleep at Singapore airport in the transit hotel if nothing else, your body and brain will thank you and b) don't stay in a hotel, make sure you get a short term rental for a few weeks - not knowing where anything is, is a bit of a nightmare and not helping with the feeling organised and unruffled feelings.

Singapore Airlines Heathrow - Sing - Perth - check in girl was not a Singapore Girl in anyway - a miserable, trout faced old bag more like. Long story that I'm too tired to go into, but that wasn't a great start. We did have way over the allowance (she was only going to allow us to have the normal 20kg until I gave the Pixie death stare lol), and shipped it with Excess baggage - hopefully it will be here on Monday. 37Kg, 2 bags, cost £360 + the AQIS fee when it gets here.

The first leg of the flight was amazing - if you have the chance to sit upstairs in economy on the A380 (it didn't crash, so can't be that unsafe Steve :rolleyes:) TAKE IT - especially if its one of the window seat bits - you get extra storage lockers down the sides which gives you just that extra bit of room, and the attendants are so attentive its crazy. The food was super yum, but it is still a very long flight :( Singapore airport is amazing - feels so calm and serene. Really loved it. The Sing-Perth leg was horrid, really old plane that stunk of wee, was freezing cold (everyone on the plane had loads of extra blankets on them), the food wasn't as good, and I really really thought we were going to die coming in to land (possibly due to the wind?). Arrivals at Perth wasn't bad, very helpful and lovely - no problems bringing in any of the food we had with us at all.

Taxi to hotel, near Murray Street Mall, was $40 - Miss Maud's hotel is good if you like a very quiet early night (I think we were the youngest occupants by a good 40 or 50 years!), the breakfast is AMAZING! Perth is very hot. but the breeze is lovely.

Transferring ownership of a car in WA is as easy as, the hardest bit is the wait at the DVLA-equivilant offices, but there are chairs, air con and a film playing so not all bad. Validating bank account, very easy as well, although we didn't have our bank cards there as promised, which was a bit annoying, but then we were going to have to wait a week for the debit/Visa cards to come through anyway, at least I now get to have one in Hot Pink, which is nice. The staff at the branch couldn't have been more helpful and lovely.

We haven't done anything else, other than but the camper, as we are so so jetlagged its not funny. Will sort our medicare and stuff next week - this weekend will sleep! lol

Anyway, not a lot done, but I instantly feel relaxed and happy here, so hope that continues :)

Will not be around again for a few days whilst we continue to sort our lives out, hope everyone is well :)

Hi we stop over we have 13 hours in Singapore, we have transit hotel sorted too. but thanks for the information its good to see that others feel a stop over is better but we didn't choose that it just worked out that way with the flights but it might be better in the long run. hope you arrive safe and sound when you get to Adelaide enjoy your journey

jennet

Guest lyn

Well done! You made it! Thanks for the update and good luck with getting yourself sorted down there over the next few days and with getting over the jet lag!!

We're 5 weeks behind you and just about to hit the shipping and homeless bit next week! Aaaaaaargh! It's good to hear that the sun is shining, somewhere!

Lyn x

Thanks for the update! Glad you arrived safe and sound. Hopefully the jetlag will wear off soon and you can start exploring!! Enjoy it all, this is the start of your adventure!!!

Welcome to Australia and your new life, one day at a time and patience I am sure you will be all ok and settle quickly,

If you get stuck,remember to ask and help will follow

Guest Guest5035
    Hiya all,

your a380 was checked out, i especially made that call for yous, now that you've landed in australia, stop the bloody whinging.....:biglaugh:

stevo

Glad you landed safely! Keep us posted on your whereabouts and how you are doing. What is weather like in Perth? Boiling here today and hotter tomorrow. Dip in the pool methinks!

Guest cazzie
    Well done guys, I can't wait till they work out how to do that Star Trek teleporting thing! You've got the worst bit over now, and you can start the fun stuff! Enjoy...

Diane, I have just woken up and your post has made me laugh my head off! Thanks, love it!

Good post.

The exactly same thing happened to us with regards to your baggage allowance....I reckon we had the same 'trout faced' lady as well. We ended up doing the same and had to send one of our bags as excess baggage too!

Looking forward to reading the next part now.

Sarahx

Guest Adelaide_bound

I wanna transporter! Although tbh, won't be going back to the UK in a hurry, if ever, so no issues hopefully there again!

OK, a few more days in - jet lag went for me yesterday and for hubby today. Unfortunately, Perth is HOT and we weren't quite mentally prepared for that so a) most of my clothes are going in the bin and I'm living in a lush full length T-Shirt type dress I purchased at the harbour town outlet mall (cheap and cheerful, just what we need) and see myself living in it for a long time to come - might go and get another if I can in a different colour lol) and b) I think I've given myself heat stroke as I feel really really icky and sick - just over the jet lag and then go and overdo it in the sun trying to sort out our camper! Typical idiot Brit lol.

Managed to do out TFN numbers (how easy is that people?! Took about 5 mins max!), now need to find out where the medicare offices are (I predict the medical building opposite the youth hostel we were staying in last week, such is the law of s*d lol) to go to tomorrow. Feel like we should be more touristy as well and 'do' more stuff - so far all we have seen is the Murray St. Mall, King Street (wow, lovely shops there!) and the drive up the Freeway to the Campsite (which is really lovely).

Anyway, might treat myself to an afternoon nap, such is the life of one on hols still lol :D

I am so pleased for you, shocked though, that your there so quick!! Surprised at Singapore airlines, I was under the impression they were the best, i'd better re-think our choice!! I have been laughing at your dilema with clothes!! How relaxed is that?? Same clothes and not a care in the world....Fab!!

Well I wish you all the luck and happiness on your adventure. You have always been a huge wealth of information and help to us here on PIA. You never now we may meet up one day in Adelaide!! Best wishes x