Anyone else find it a bit dull here??

Guest theclarkes

No need for diplomacy, public forum, spurs fan....

I know many people come here without first coming for a visit, I make no apology for saying they are all mad!! Some are good friends who have doe this, and they know my views.

Not everyone can afford a reccie first, I came without seeing Australia first and I can assure you I'm not mad

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Paula H

We are moving out in Sept with 3 kids in tow. Can't afford to do a reccie but have researched a lot & am fortunate to know a few people out in Adelaide already (Tina&Steve from here have been a god send). We are from Essex & are looking forward to a more chilled way of life & to visit the GC, Melbourne & Sydney as holidays. Our children's future is all that matters & compare Adelaide to the UK, I'd say Adelaide wins hands down

Roll on Sept :)

Guest Guest75
Certainly not dull on PIA at the moment.....thanks The Clarkes - you've received a colourful response here. I do know what you mean tho. I love Adelaide and living here - I wouldn't call it boring but definitely quiet and I can definitely see the difference when I visit other places - it feels different and more livelier but I think that in part is that you tend to do more when you are visiting out and about rather than in your home town. But I do love visiting other places in Oz like Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast etc.

Kris has said as I feel.

We did move here because Adelaide is not as much of a "city" as the other Aus cities.

It does feel quiet here at times but with time your social circle and network does reveal a lot more to do here.

I simply cannot get bored here!!

I've been here for 12 years and am over 50 - BUT my 22 year old daughter is loving it here as well.

Trips to the other cities for a bit more entertainment now and again is advisable, we do it. Just watch out for the cheap flights on offer.

Not getting into any slanging match

Arrrrr bless you Lorraine and thank you for that. You must go to the Gold Coast, bet the older ones would love it!! We are goin back in September and with tiff and new baby in tow.......we are going to take our time and do lots of researching before we make any major decisions. They were doing flights on valentines for $77 pp one way, so I booked!!! They are back up to $149 now.....look out for deals with Jetstar xx

MIght be September when we are up there as well!!! Chris maybe competing in a soccer tournament up there with his club (22nd - 29th sept)...all depends if they have enough players to go........then we will have to decide if Jon just goes up or if we can afford for all of us to go!

Guest guest9403

We too did not do a reccie (cos we couldn afford to)...we relied purley on de info supplied from my bro-in-law and his wife that have been here 3 yrs and love it!! We are only here jus over 4 mths and i know its very very early days but i hate it...my hubby is loving it,my 4 yr old doesnt seem to mind either way,my 23 yr old son is'nt too keen either,id like to think we done our homework but still dont think a 3 or 4 week reccie wud prepare you for actually living here!! It is very quite and boring (sorry) my opinion,maybe its because im from a large capital city,thought i would like the laid back life-style here (I dont),Im so home-sick it hurts,im not eatin or sleeping and cry most days,but i put on a smile and a brave face for my family cos i know i hav not given it enough time yet,saying that if someone gave me a plane ticket 2 moro id take it :-) I suppose it really depends on where u came from,i have no expections of wat my life wud be like here and glad cos reckon id be more devastated than i already am,they are behind the times...hell we seen films in de cinema at home that are not even released here yet,our local woolworths has just installed "self-scan" check-outs....come on!! As for fashion....pmsl...:-)...i dont really care if people like or dont like adelaide this thread was started askin if anyone else found it boring and non-happening and yes I do...we paid a lot of money to come here and i dont regret it but i know i wont stay,as someone else said its not for everyone!!!!

Guest Barney Rubble

Agree about the recce but not everyone needs to come to have a look, then again, as posted depends on the hip pocket.

In short we arrrived here in 88' no recce, two feet straight in.

Did buy a map of Adelaide in London and then books from the local library.

Now it's thank God for the internet, don't even have to get your feet wet to go have a look :wink:

Knew one person here called Diane (see all Dianes are helpful :cool:) who we spent 3 months with in Willaston.

From there we did 3 months driving around in evenings and weekends, brought house, and are still there.

Was posted earlier in the thread, we're not really a city but it's nice to fly over to one of the other states for a holiday, cram stuff in like crazy (theme parks, city sights or tours with the kids) then settle back to a more sedate pace of life when we return.

Yes i am over 50, kids 18 & 21, they only know it here (to live) but are spreading their wings to do interstate trips.

One word sums it up for everyone.

You have a C.H.O.I.C.E.

Others don't :huh:

Kris has said as I feel.

We did move here because Adelaide is not as much of a "city" as the other Aus cities.

It does feel quiet here at times but with time your social circle and network does reveal a lot more to do here.

I simply cannot get bored here!!

I've been here for 12 years and am over 50 - BUT my 22 year old daughter is loving it here as well.

Trips to the other cities for a bit more entertainment now and again is advisable, we do it. Just watch out for the cheap flights on offer.

Not getting into any slanging match

We too did not do a reccie (cos we couldn afford to)...we relied purley on de info supplied from my bro-in-law and his wife that have been here 3 yrs and love it!! We are only here jus over 4 mths and i know its very very early days but i hate it...my hubby is loving it,my 4 yr old doesnt seem to mind either way,my 23 yr old son is'nt too keen either,id like to think we done our homework but still dont think a 3 or 4 week reccie wud prepare you for actually living here!! It is very quite and boring (sorry) my opinion,maybe its because im from a large capital city,thought i would like the laid back life-style here (I dont),Im so home-sick it hurts,im not eatin or sleeping and cry most days,but i put on a smile and a brave face for my family cos i know i hav not given it enough time yet,saying that if someone gave me a plane ticket 2 moro id take it :-) I suppose it really depends on where u came from,i have no expections of wat my life wud be like here and glad cos reckon id be more devastated than i already am,they are behind the times...hell we seen films in de cinema at home that are not even released here yet,our local woolworths has just installed "self-scan" check-outs....come on!! As for fashion....pmsl...:-)...i dont really care if people like or dont like adelaide this thread was started askin if anyone else found it boring and non-happening and yes I do...we paid a lot of money to come here and i dont regret it but i know i wont stay,as someone else said its not for everyone!!!!

Now homesickness is something none of us can prepare for. I guess it will hit us all at different times and in different ways.

Chris.

Guest theclarkes
MIght be September when we are up there as well!!! Chris maybe competing in a soccer tournament up there with his club (22nd - 29th sept)...all depends if they have enough players to go........then we will have to decide if Jon just goes up or if we can afford for all of us to go!

Chantelles 18th is the 22nd and she didnt want to miss school as year 12 so we are going first week of September, was expensive after that :)

Guest theclarkes

Here Here!!! Totally agree with every word, the fashion especially haha, my 20 year old dreams of River Island and Top Shop, even though they do deliver here I think. Sorry to hear ur so homesick, thats one thing we hvent been as dont really have anyone back home, family wise. Just some good friends. Hope you feel better soon. Will keep you posted if and when we decide to leave sunny Adelaide :-)

Celticboy.

All major films are released the same day round the world now BTW. WHat did you think of Red Dog when you saw it ages ago in UK?

You will get more depressed and upset if you compare all the time. Call Aus home, think positive and it helps get over the shock. If you think of UK a shame your will never settle.

Guest Guest75
Not true!!! Tinker tailor soldier spy was released in Sept 2011 in the uk and only January 12th here!!!!!

A lot of films I see on the airlines are out way before hitting Aussie shores.

Saw Columbina three months ago,just out here.

Maybe I should say all major international films, Tinker was released later in US too.

But as I indicated Aus films are released here before UK. Hardly a reason to knock a country because of a film release, if people are so materialistic god help them. We get Xmas 8.5 hours earlier than UK guaranteed every year BTW

UK is so behind......

Guest Tterrier81
We get Xmas 8.5 hours earlier than UK guaranteed every year BTW

UK is so behind......

and the east coast of aus gets it half an hour before adelaide

adelaide is so behind........

Guest theclarkes
Is this amusing enough:

EPL v A League

Sky v Foxtel

EPL wins over A League all day long cos Im not even sure if A league is conference standard!!

Sky over Foxtel ......no Soccer Saturday with Geoff Stelling out here & movie start times are a bit rigid

Neil

EPL wins over A League all day long cos Im not even sure if A league is conference standard!!

Sky over Foxtel ......no Soccer Saturday with Geoff Stelling out here & movie start times are a bit rigid

Neil

So you are now saying watching Geoff Stelling is better than watching every game live....and a movie may start 12 mins off when you want.....I've heard it all now