Anyone else find it a bit dull here??

Guest theclarkes

It doesn't matter where you bring your children up, they will nearly always want to move away somewhere else at least for a while. If you stayed in the UK there would be no guarantee that your children in the future may live in Singapore, Hong Kong, the US, Europe, another UK town or city. Your child may go backpacking and meet a local and build a life there in Thailand, Australia, NZ or wherever. What Adelaide could give them is a memory of a decent childhood full of time spent relaxed and fairly carefree and a confidence that the world is theirs. It's memories like this that bring people back 5, 10 years later to bring their own families up here or a similar place in Aus.

Whilst I agree with much of this, it's also true that a higher percentage of SA's young people move interstate/overseas than any other state or territory in Aus.

Jim

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Kids move on, this is part of expanding their horizons and SA kids are more adventurous and willing to give things a go. SA may be small and quiet but its people are well known to be willing to give new things a try, this is why new products are often trialled here before interstate by national companies. A lot of those who do move interstate do end up moving home later with their families. It's no different to the exodus of kids from smaller towns to the bright lights of London, Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool or any other large regional UK city. My comment in no way stated that SA kids do not move elsewhere. It really doesn't matter whether a higher percentage of SA's young move interstate or overseas, a large percentage of them return home, either to Aus or Ads. It is a fact of modern life that with some jobs you will need to move to get wider experience or gain employment.

This sums it up.............I asked a lady at work today who was born and bred here why the Eastern border gets bands like 'One Direction' and we get Petula Clark at the Stamford Grand and why the amusement park was taken off Glenelg foreshore and given to Sydney and why the Grand Prix went from Adelaide to Melbourne and she said 'get use to it kiddo, that's because Adelaide is old fashioned, backwards and conservative'!

Whilst I agree with much of this, it's also true that a higher percentage of SA's young people move interstate/overseas than any other state or territory in Aus.

Jim

It happens everywhere though I think. So many kids have to or choose to move away from their hometown to find work or build a career or just spread their wings. Not confined to Aus or the UK, happens all over.

I have many friends around the world who left towns and cities others can't wait to get to (New York, Amsterdam, London and LA being some of them, but some smaller places also). I left my hometown to move overseas at 21. Never looked back and would never live there again. But plenty of people who did leave have returned to the area to raise their kids or settle down years later. Some never left, some will never return, but it is still a thriving town with plenty of people coming and going.

A couple of generations and the world has changed. People of my parents generation didn't do working holidays or round the world gap year trips. They didn't move far from their hometown usually and often entire families lived within a few streets of each other. Fast forward 40 years and its a different place. Many people just can't live and work in the areas they grew up in. People *have* to move away to forge a career or a life for themselves. Families are far more spaced out, fragmented than they used to be. Its almost expected kids will take off and backpack or go travel. They go off to uni and then to find work they often have to move to a different town or city to follow their hoped for line of work.

This sums it up.............I asked a lady at work today who was born and bred here why the Eastern border gets bands like 'One Direction' and we get Petula Clark at the Stamford Grand and why the amusement park was taken off Glenelg foreshore and given to Sydney and why the Grand Prix went from Adelaide to Melbourne and she said 'get use to it kiddo, that's because Adelaide is old fashioned, backwards and conservative'!
I would feel extremely privileged to be fortunate enough to even be in the same room as the Wonderful and talented Petula Clark.Her wonderful voice and talent are legendary,and will be appreciated for many more Decades IMO.:notworthy:Not so sure about the other Crew?