Guest LoisBirch22

Renting issues and confusion?!

Guest LoisBirch22

Hi,

I wondering maybe if someone could point me in the right direction..

My partner and i have been in Aus for 2 weeks now, we're currently staying in a temporary residence. I've been to see a few properties now, and applied for some, but we're struggling with references. We are under the impression that we can't use UK references, is this correct?

Also we own our home in the UK, so we have no previous landlord references other than where we are at the moment?

I spoke to an agent yesterday who told me our situation "doesn't look good"?? I'm worried that we may not be able to find a property anytime soon.

Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Thanks

Lois :)

Hi,

I wondering maybe if someone could point me in the right direction..

My partner and i have been in Aus for 2 weeks now, we're currently staying in a temporary residence. I've been to see a few properties now, and applied for some, but we're struggling with references. We are under the impression that we can't use UK references, is this correct?

Also we own our home in the UK, so we have no previous landlord references other than where we are at the moment?

I spoke to an agent yesterday who told me our situation "doesn't look good"?? I'm worried that we may not be able to find a property anytime soon.

Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Thanks

Lois :)

We were in exactly the same position. We used our temp accommodation landlord and as we had 'done business' with a cardealership we asked the salesman there if he would provide a reference .

Hth

Sarah

Guest LoisBirch22

Thanks Sarah,

How long had you been in your temp accomodation? As they're saying we can't use ours as it's only been 2 weeks.

lois :)

Guest The Dimmocks

We were only in our temp accommodation for 4 weeks. We didnt have any references from UK but used our temp one. We applied for two houses and got offered both. It can be done, try not to worry, which i know is easier said than done as I worried like mad. Good luck in your house hunt. x

Guest ebstar

Try looking at properties under other agents if thats possible for you. When we arrived (7 months ago) we had no references as we had not rented before but the rental agents should be able to supply you with a list of what they require.It's like a points system in a way and from memory with the agent we rented through (L J Hooker)We needed about 100 points.Again don't hold me to this as it was so quick and alot has happened since then. each lot of documents you supply are worth a different value ie:10 points for like a passport or driving licence.25 points for a copy of bank statement showing proof of funds etc. I think different agents may have differences between what they are looking for but the main component is that you are able to pay the rent on time and your not goint to damage the proprty.Speak with the landlord of the place you are in at the moment as they may be able to put something in writting if you have paid upfront,on time and been quick to respond etc. We showed our visa,passport,proof of funds and my husbands proof of employment letter. I'm not sure what area you are looking in but it seems the rental market is very busy at the moment so if you are able to offer any extra rent upfront that will also go in your favour.

Good luck with everything. Ebstar x

Guest LoisBirch22

Thank you.. I will try what you've suggested.

Hopefully something will come up soon :)

Many Thanks again :)

Lois.

We had been there a month or so I guess but it wasnt queried and we didn't bring it up. It was more that we had conducted business with these people and been of good honest character not how long we had known them.

By the way you are normally asked to provide references in addition to your 100 points of ID so worth sorting them out.

Hi

Do you have photos of your place in the UK to show how well you kept it? We did that as we're renting ours out, plus we asked friends to give us and our dog personal references, this was one thing I was really worried about but it all came out fine :) Try another agent, where are you looking as my agent is fab and happy to give you his details

KR

Von

Guest LoisBirch22

Hi Von,

Thank you for your help. We're looking at West Beach, Henley Beach or Glenelg. Sort of coastal areas, but within about 20-25mins drive to Mile End for my other halfs work. His details would be amazing, if you wouldn't mind. Thank you :)