KathleenandCraig

Nursing & IELTS

Hello

Quick summary of the situation:

All set to do the IELTS test in April when we received some guidance from SA health who advises that Kathleen does not need to do the IELTS as long as the following:

Requirements

1. Applicants for registration

Registered nurses and registered midwives

a). An applicant for registration as a registered nurse and/ or a registered midwife who has provided evidence

of completion of five (5) years*(full-time equivalent) of education taught and assessed in English, in any

of the recognised countries listed in this registration standard, is considered to have demonstrated English

language proficiency and has met the requirements of this standard;

b). An applicant for registration as a registered nurse and/ or a registered midwife who has not completed five

(5) years*(full-time equivalent) of education taught and assessed in English, in any of the recognised

countries listed in this registration standard, will be required to demonstrate English language proficiency

in accordance with Board-approved English language tests.

*The completion of five (5) years (full-time equivalent)

education taught and assessed in English means five

(5) years full-time equivalent of either:

i). tertiary and secondary; or

ii). tertiary and vocational; or

iii). combined tertiary, secondary and vocational

education

taught and assessed in English in any of the recognised countries listed in this registration

standard. These five (5) years must include evidence of a minimum of two (2) years full-time equivalent

pre-registration program of study approved by the recognised nursing and/or midwifery regulatory

body in any of the countries listed in this registration standard

List of recognised countries

The National Board recognises the following countries where the applicant was taught and assessed in English

at either vocational and tertiary or combined secondary, vocational and/or tertiary education levels:

Australia

• Canada

• New Zealand

• Republic of Ireland

• South Africa

• United Kingdom

• United States of America

Well in view of this it seems that Kathleen would not need to take the IELTS but what is worrying us is that the agents we have spoken to are all saying we do. I suspect this is to do with the constant Temp/PR dilemma we are having. Any Nurses out there able to advise what they think to be the best route for a Nurse (&partner) to come to Adelaide? Is it to come temp then go PR or come straight in on a PR visa?

Can't comment as no clue, but you might find some help on our sister site Poms In Oz

This is a nurses thread and has lots of info (don't wade through it all) and you can post there and ask and plenty of nurses around will hopefully be able to shed some light. And I am sure once SA wakes up some will be along here to try to help also.

Link to thread for you

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/54240-nurses-questions-what-you-might-need-immigration-paperwork.html

hi kathleen, you can come sponsored on a temp visa your employer pays for visa but you are bound to job for a couple years and then you can apply for perm res at end of 2 years or come straight out on a perm visa but you have to pay and find a job that suits, hope this help s :)

Hello

Quick summary of the situation:

All set to do the IELTS test in April when we received some guidance from SA health who advises that Kathleen does not need to do the IELTS as long as the following:

Well in view of this it seems that Kathleen would not need to take the IELTS but what is worrying us is that the agents we have spoken to are all saying we do. I suspect this is to do with the constant Temp/PR dilemma we are having. Any Nurses out there able to advise what they think to be the best route for a Nurse (&partner) to come to Adelaide? Is it to come temp then go PR or come straight in on a PR visa?

Hi,

I would definately recommend a PR 176 visa. Although you can go on a temporary visa you will still need IELTS to apply to AHPRA for registration as you Cannot work as a qualified nurse without registration. If you want some guidence of what to do with regards to getting nursing skills assessed, registration, SS etc. please ask.

Bev

Guest Delaneym

I am having to come on a 457 because of my age. I have just registered with Aphra ( I am a mental health nurse) As I couldnt provide transcripts of my secondary education I did the ielts test. Anyway what I am trying to say is that I just put my application in to aphra and the ielts test has to be sent seperately but my case officer just wanted me to sign a declaration to say I had been educated in england etc.. so my advice is to check first as maybe you might not have to do the ielts.gathering all the right documents is a job in itself! Hope this is helpful! If you want any info just pm me and good luck!

MY friend came to live with us for a year. She didn't do the IELTS and was not able to work as a nurse until she did . I would definately look into this further. She had an English degree :-)

Guest Guest6899

I had to send in my ielts certificate when i applied to AHPRA last year. this is been going on for a while, you do you dont need it!! As far as im aware and from my experience recently registering with ahpra you do require the ielts.

Lisa

Guest brookesy

Hi Kathleen&craig

My wife is a RMN she has spoke to ANMC and has been told that she does not need to sit an IELTS test due her degree and diploma, this covers the five years and more that the ANMC requires. Hope this helps.

Brookesy

Hi,

This has been going on for years, unfortunately the communication between DIAC - ANMAC - AHPRA is totally dire!! I have recently (last Oct) passed my skills assessment with ANMAC ( I have BSC and MSC, British born, bred and educated) and I definately had to have an IELTS examination, in fact I sat the General test and was informed by ANMAC that I had to complete the Academic test, therefore had to do it twice!!

You DO need an IELTS. Hope this helps x

Hi Kathleen&craig

My wife is a RMN she has spoke to ANMC and has been told that she does not need to sit an IELTS test due her degree and diploma, this covers the five years and more that the ANMC requires. Hope this helps.

Brookesy

Guest Guest6899
    Hi Kathleen&craig

Brookesy

the ANMC is different for AHPRA, one assesses your skills the other you register with.. the rules do keep changing but i would suggest you wife obtaines a academic ielts before registering.

Guest brookesy

Sorry folks I dont think I gave the right info. With regards to my wifes app to ANMC I think the reason she does not have to re sit her IELTS is because we have a 175. Im sorry if I gave the wrong info. Apologies.

Brookesy

Guest Delaneym

3 weeks ago aphra in SA does not want my ielts ( they have got it tho i sat it and they will have it!) they just want a statuatory declaration signed and scanned back ( not notarised) to say I had completed my education in the uk. my migration man was very suprised said he had no heard of this before. Its all a mystery i find! good luck tho whatever you decide ( I am going on a 457 so only have to register with aphra)

Guest mandy.s

Hi there, at the moment i am going through AHPRA registration and i have had to get a letter from my High School to prove i was and have been taught in english then signed by a justice of the piece officer to register, i have not had to sit the ielts, hope this helps