Rachiegarlo

OK what's the best value mobile comp to go with as PAYG in the UK now?

Think daughter's iPhone 4 is a 3 one here. Is 3 as rubbishy in the UK? She might just get a cheap n cheerful ph once there anyway, but are there any to avoid?

Right must presume no one uses mobiles in the UK then, Gosh must all use antwacky land lines then... How backwards. Would've thought that people in a country where you can just about buy a house at Tescos, Sainsbury's or an upmarket one at Waitrose would know who provides the best none rip off PAYG service.

Disclaimer : Statements in this post are for my amusement only and not to be taken out of the context in which they were written and then posted. Please feel to PM me if you have any issues. BUT ONLY if you answer my question first.

Why would we use mobiles in the UK when we live in Adelaide?

Three is probably the best value main provider, although I'd go with Giff Gaff it I was to get another one. They use the O2 network.

Hmmm.

I have an 4S and am on an Orange contract. Hubby did loads of research and they came out the best for my needs/wants.

If its a PAYG tbh there are soooooo many deals and packages, what you can get, its a case of reading the blurb and seeing what package you want. Some offer heaps of texts or x amount of minutes of calls, others more for browsing.

Also if your daughter wants to make international texts etc she may need to find a specific package.

The main companies are Orange, TMobile (has one of the better wifi networks it seems and good 3G coverage) , O2 and Vodafone.

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/mobile_phone_networks/

Of them all I'd say TMobile or Orange, but it really will depend on what your daughter wants to use the phone for.

This link has some good info for PAYG deals

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/pay_as_you_go_mobile_phones/

Can she not use her iPHone and just unlock it or whatever it is you do with them. I know its possible. And then go on a contract or PAYG with it.

Although buying a PAYG deal is pretty cheap if you don't mind a crap phone. Even a Blackberry comes in around £150 though, so affordable.

I'd also look at contracts (although many of them tie you in for 18 months these days but can get a year) and so pay monthly set amount and less for the phone. May work out more cost effective as you get some serious bandwidth.

Guest RobJ1978

sorry i can't help, i still have an old block of a nokia on PAYG with O2.x.x.

Guest teamV

My Iphone was on contract with orange and it went up a few months ago to £39 a month for 500 min's 5000 text's and unlimited data,Ive now got a sim only deal from tesco for £12.50 a month on a 3 month contract for 500 mins 5000 texts 1mb of data and unlimited bt wifi.

Ive just checked on there site and that deals now gone ,but the come and go all the time ,so well worth checking every week.

http://phone-shop.tesco.com/tesco-mobile/sims/

Kev.

Think daughter's iPhone 4 is a 3 one here. Is 3 as rubbishy in the UK? She might just get a cheap n cheerful ph once there anyway, but are there any to avoid?

I'm sadly still in the UK, have used O2, Virgin & Vodafone. I would rate Virgin best for coverage - I always seemed to be able to get coverage about almost anywhere. Go for a 3G phone tho coz you get better coverage with them anyhow. I also found Virgin to be the best with deals & costs. I think you can only do online through them now though! Hope that helps? :)

As for phones there are so many on the market it is really difficult to say what to avoid. I will say though that ones with QWERTY keypads are quite a pain to use - literally (my fingers ache after a while texting and stuff). Touch-screens seem to be the way now. Galaxy by Samsung seems to be quite popular... Just have a look online - depends what she'll use it for too. I got mine through CarPhone Warehouse - take a look at their website for info.