Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

4 Weeks In...

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

Well we have been here now for nearly 5 weeks. In some ways it seems to have flown by but in others it feels like we've been here forever.Our first week was spent sorting out TFNs, Medicare, driving licenses etc in between brekkie at 3am with the kids and lots of exploring. We also enrolled our eldest for school. It is zoned and we had to provide proof of our address but they weren't bothered that we were only going to be there for 3 weeks so something worth considering when booking initial short term accommodation.

Anya started school on the first day of term and is loving it. She's been much braver than I think I would've been starting in a strange school in a strange country and not knowing anyone or how any of it works but she's just gotten on with it and we are very proud of her. Ryan started at kindy too and is loving it and making lots of new friends too. They've both started swimming lessons and Anya has started Guides so they are getting stuck in and enjoying themselves.

Our 3 week short term rental has turned into a longer term one. Our landlady has been brilliant and offered it to us for longer until we can find somewhere else long term - the joys of wanting to be in such a small place, we've been looking at rentals for over a year but just as we move over there is nothing, well 1 horrible one and 1 too expensive! We did put an application in for a house in Aldinga and were accepted but by then we'd decided to stay put. Our container is due into Adelaide next week so staying here has meant we are not having to live in a bare house for a month either.

Work wise, we pounded the streets dropping hubby's CV into all sorts of places (thanks trip advisor lol) and a few places got back to him. He started his new job 2 weeks ago and is really enjoying it, and as a chef he couldn't ask for better hours. We didn't come over here to make loads of money and be rich, we came to make the most of our family time together - enjoy the weather, get out and about doing things together. Jon is working 1, maybe 2 nights a week instead of the 5/6 he did in Scotland so it is fantastic. We get to have meals together, a walk to the park, beach etc after tea. Those are the important things to us so life is good!

I love Willunga too. We can walk to school - past the park and the skate park, which the kids love - I love doing the rounds up the high street, the butcher, the bakers etc, everyone has been so friendly and welcoming and there is a real community feel. The farmers market and quarry market are good for a wander round too.

We've been up and down the beaches, up into the hills, down to victor harbour so far and enjoying our exploring. We're just waiting for the kids bikes to arrive in the container then we'll be off exploring on 2 wheels too.

So all in all, no regrets at all about coming here, only wish we'd done it sooner lol

Wendy x

Guest ozdreamsa

This is a fantastic and inspiring update, Thank you Mrs. Bon Jovi, your lyrics sound as sweet as your Mr.

What a great start to your new life - love Willunga, Victor and surrounding beaches too. We are becomming regulars at the Saturday market (and are planning to hire a bike from Onyerbike at McLaren Vale - hopefully the knees will cope!) I'm addicted to the goats cheese, Spice Girlz pickles and keep buying chilli plants from Hillside Herbs! Luckily we're only about 20-30 minutes away and its a great drive through the back roads over the hills.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
    What a great start to your new life - love Willunga, Victor and surrounding beaches too. We are becomming regulars at the Saturday market (and are planning to hire a bike from Onyerbike at McLaren Vale - hopefully the knees will cope!) I'm addicted to the goats cheese, Spice Girlz pickles and keep buying chilli plants from Hillside Herbs! Luckily we're only about 20-30 minutes away and its a great drive through the back roads over the hills.

Ive had my eye on some of those chilli plants! Have you tried the lavender brownies? Strange but nice! And I had some olive oil lip balm to try last week too but my favourite is the cinnamon sugared almonds - yum!

Ive had my eye on some of those chilli plants! Have you tried the lavender brownies? Strange but nice! And I had some olive oil lip balm to try last week too but my favourite is the cinnamon sugared almonds - yum!

Oh yes, and the fudge - yummy. The Turkish bread next door is to die for too. Bought the vanilla almonds last time (ate a whole bag by myself - shouldn't have left them at the front of the larder shelf) but tasted most of the range - the chilli and other savoury ones are amazing.

Great update, thanks!

One question is your eldest going to Willunga high what is it like? What sports do they do? Asking as we are considering that as a choice for our 2.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
    Great update, thanks!

One question is your eldest going to Willunga high what is it like? What sports do they do? Asking as we are considering that as a choice for our 2.

Sorry can't help I'm afraid. Our eldest is 7 so a few more years of primary to go yet.

Guest PhilC
    We're just waiting for the kids bikes to arrive in the container then we'll be off exploring on 2 wheels too.

You're in for a treat if you enjoy 2 wheels, loads of quiet roads and bike tracks around Willunga, and of course Willunga Hill has got to be the most famous hill in Australia as the Tour Down Under goes up it (twice) in January - you just missed it by a day this year. Willunga gets inundated with fans from all across Australia, the hill will be lined from top to bottom with a fair few thousand people next January.

Enjoy

Phil

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
    You're in for a treat if you enjoy 2 wheels, loads of quiet roads and bike tracks around Willunga, and of course Willunga Hill has got to be the most famous hill in Australia as the Tour Down Under goes up it (twice) in January - you just missed it by a day this year. Willunga gets inundated with fans from all across Australia, the hill will be lined from top to bottom with a fair few thousand people next January.

Enjoy

Phil

It's been a while since I've been on 2 wheels so could be interesting :biglaugh: but this definitely seems to be the place to take it up again, and now our littlest can cycle along quite happily on his own we thought why not. Will get us out and about and hopefully a bit fitter too.

Gutted we missed the Tour Down Under, the inlaws rang us while we were in the check in queue at Heathrow to say they were watching it on tv! Next year though... :smile:

Its good to read things are going well for you :) Makes the settling in stage so much better when things go your way and fall into place.

Enjoy your container arriving. It'll be like Christmas all over again unpacking it all.

Guest BackToAdelaide

Great to hear it's all going well so far! Long may it continue and thanks for the update :)

Guest Jennet
    Well we have been here now for nearly 5 weeks. In some ways it seems to have flown by but in others it feels like we've been here forever.Our first week was spent sorting out TFNs, Medicare, driving licenses etc in between brekkie at 3am with the kids and lots of exploring. We also enrolled our eldest for school. It is zoned and we had to provide proof of our address but they weren't bothered that we were only going to be there for 3 weeks so something worth considering when booking initial short term accommodation.

Anya started school on the first day of term and is loving it. She's been much braver than I think I would've been starting in a strange school in a strange country and not knowing anyone or how any of it works but she's just gotten on with it and we are very proud of her. Ryan started at kindy too and is loving it and making lots of new friends too. They've both started swimming lessons and Anya has started Guides so they are getting stuck in and enjoying themselves.

Our 3 week short term rental has turned into a longer term one. Our landlady has been brilliant and offered it to us for longer until we can find somewhere else long term - the joys of wanting to be in such a small place, we've been looking at rentals for over a year but just as we move over there is nothing, well 1 horrible one and 1 too expensive! We did put an application in for a house in Aldinga and were accepted but by then we'd decided to stay put. Our container is due into Adelaide next week so staying here has meant we are not having to live in a bare house for a month either.

Work wise, we pounded the streets dropping hubby's CV into all sorts of places (thanks trip advisor lol) and a few places got back to him. He started his new job 2 weeks ago and is really enjoying it, and as a chef he couldn't ask for better hours. We didn't come over here to make loads of money and be rich, we came to make the most of our family time together - enjoy the weather, get out and about doing things together. Jon is working 1, maybe 2 nights a week instead of the 5/6 he did in Scotland so it is fantastic. We get to have meals together, a walk to the park, beach etc after tea. Those are the important things to us so life is good!

I love Willunga too. We can walk to school - past the park and the skate park, which the kids love - I love doing the rounds up the high street, the butcher, the bakers etc, everyone has been so friendly and welcoming and there is a real community feel. The farmers market and quarry market are good for a wander round too.

We've been up and down the beaches, up into the hills, down to victor harbour so far and enjoying our exploring. We're just waiting for the kids bikes to arrive in the container then we'll be off exploring on 2 wheels too.

So all in all, no regrets at all about coming here, only wish we'd done it sooner lol

Wendy x

Hi sounds good

we will be out beginning of July, we will be staying with friends in seaford and hopefully to rent in Aldinga, or around those southern suburbs, which school do your kids go too, my friends daughter goes to willunga high, and what are your thoughts on the schools so far.

thanks

jennet

Guest Jennet
    Great update, thanks!

Hi friends who we will be staying with daughter goes to willunga high, she says its a good school and her daughter is doing well, and some of her daughters friends went to private schools left to go to willunga, they are big on volley ball as most of the schools are.

This should give you a flavour (we camped out right in the centre and they passed us 5 times) Great day but very windy.

Bit hard to film and shake my cowbell!

Guest wayney34

so glad to hear its going well, fingers crossed we'll be there soon. by the way any tips for us newbies coming over. also hubby asking where did you find your rental as we're having trouble finding something furnished in that area.:smile:

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
    Hi sounds good

we will be out beginning of July, we will be staying with friends in seaford and hopefully to rent in Aldinga, or around those southern suburbs, which school do your kids go too, my friends daughter goes to willunga high, and what are your thoughts on the schools so far.

thanks

jennet

Hi Jennet,

Our oldest is it Willunga primary and our youngest goes to the kindy there. It is a lovely school, it does take a bit of getting used to the way they do things over here. It is a lot more social here and Anya has settled in well in the first few weeks so so far so good.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
    so glad to hear its going well, fingers crossed we'll be there soon. by the way any tips for us newbies coming over. also hubby asking where did you find your rental as we're having trouble finding something furnished in that area.:smile:

Fingers crossed you won't be long now! Am away to sort kids out for bed but I will pm you later :smile:

Guest Jennet
    Hi Jennet,

Our oldest is it Willunga primary and our youngest goes to the kindy there. It is a lovely school, it does take a bit of getting used to the way they do things over here. It is a lot more social here and Anya has settled in well in the first few weeks so so far so good.

thanks for that, i think my eldest will go to willunga high and it may be wise to put the younger one in the primary are they close to one another. does the primary school do outdoor activities like the beach studies etc

thanks

jennet

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
    thanks for that, i think my eldest will go to willunga high and it may be wise to put the younger one in the primary are they close to one another. does the primary school do outdoor activities like the beach studies etc

thanks

jennet

The schools are on the same road, the high school is further down going towards mclaren vale, but walking distance. If you want the youngest in the primary you will need to provide proof that you are residing within their zone as they are not taking anyone else due to space issues. They seem to do a fair bit of outdoor activities! They'd been out this afternoon doing their bit for Clean Up Australia day. Not sure about the beach studies specifically though.