Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dallas

Cost of living in Adelaide???

Guest Dallas

Hi Guys

I was born and bred in Adelaide. I have not lived there now for 8 years. We are all looking at moving down in October 08. I am worried about the cost of living down there. We watch Wanted Down Under and people are being put off but the "cost of living" and the "low wages"

Can some of you guys all ready down there give us a bit of a heads up on how things compare between the UK and Adelaide.

We understand that some things are cheaper, however is this not all relative taking into account the lower salaries.

ie mortgage rates are much higher than here in the UK, and the Oz tax system looks higher.

Guest Markie1

Hi Dallas

We have also been watching that tv series. As you were living in Adelaide what suburbs do you recommend. We do not have any inside info on the place but we like the sound of Happy Valley or Flagstaff Hill that sort of area. Do you have any knowledge of those areas, we have a 10 year old son so school and area are important to us.

Thanks

Mark

Guest Libby1971

I can't give you much info but some things are cheaper and some things not so. Underwear is but it's all cr*p quality so stockpile it now and bring some decent stuff with you.

We live nicely on one wage here although admittedly it is higher than average.

Mark, re schools, Braeview is one in Happy Valley, Woodend across the road in Sheidow Park is a good one. They have had quite a few Brit kids go there and are really friendly. Sophie loved it, really helped her settle. Reynella East, Aberfoyle Park all have good reps, Hallett Cove R-12 has a good reputation I think. These are all state or public schools by the way.

Libby

Guest Dallas

Hi Mark and Libby

Mark, I lived in Banksia Park for most of my life, its in the North Eastern suburbs. I could not fault it, open spaces, good schools and far enough away from the beach that you would not become complacent with it. It is about 50 minutes to the beaches.

Everyone says it, and that is get out there and just look around. My wife (Nikki) is looking at Mount Barker which I like however I think it might be a little to quiet for her.

The best bit of advice I think is just be open for change! The idea of having a tin roof is driving Nikki up the wall however its fairly normal in Oz. The distances are greater, here in the UK most people are with in walking distance to shops and a pub, this may not be the case in Adelaide. We are in the same boat re schools, once we find the right school we will find the right area!

Libby

Good advice re the undies! I can't go out without my Marks and Sparks supporting me!!

I can't wait to get back home however I am very nervous about if Nikki and the kids will love it as much as I do! And if we can afford it!

Guest caoimhe

Hi Dallas, I notice when on hols there 2 years ago that food was a good bit cheaper, especially eating out. I did think things like toiletries were a bit dearer, I had a mouth ulcer and bought some bonjella, thought it was about double what I would pay at home. I can't quote on electric etc but I really thought supermarket food was cheaper.

Guest Kiki
    Hi Dallas, I notice when on hols there 2 years ago that food was a good bit cheaper, especially eating out. I did think things like toiletries were a bit dearer, I had a mouth ulcer and bought some bonjella, thought it was about double what I would pay at home. I can't quote on electric etc but I really thought supermarket food was cheaper.

hi there

can I just jump in and ask about Utilities Bills, Rates and home insurance. How much do those things cost. More , less or about the same.

Thnaks in advance

Kimberleyx