Sign in to follow this  
Guest dishco

Moving to Adelaide this coming September

Guest dishco

Hello - new to the forum so be nice...

I just received confirmation of receipt of my visa (176) less than a month ago.

Myself and my wife are planning to move Adelaide way early September. Although the process of gathering information, applying for the various stages and the obligatory waiting for responses to those applications took around 18 months, the final answer and receipt of the visa happened very quickly, in 1 day in fact! So now we're in the position of trying to get our heads around actually achieving the goal we've been focused on for all this time.

I work in IT (network\sys admin) and my wife in credit control. From a quick scan of a few job websites and seeing a number of appointments which would be applicable to me, so that's somewhat comforting. 6 months is too soon to be applying for jobs, but i was thinking maybe beginning to do this a couple of months before arriving. Would many places conduct interviews via Skype or similar services?

We've started looking for accommodation, ideally a short term lease so we've somewhere to head to when we arrive, but that we're not stuck in if we get jobs the other side of the city. To us the Richmond area seems like a good place to head to, close to the CBD and also within throwing distance of the beach, but also reasonably well priced. Any suggestions regarding this thinking would be appreciated.

Any way, think that's enough. Lots to do and organise between here and there so see you around.

Dishco

Guest Ledges

Hi Dishco,

Congratulations !

I work in IT too. I'd advise getting on www.seek.com.au just a few weeks before you leave. I doubt you'd have much luck in securing anything before you arrive...but worth a try. PM me with your CV nearer the time if you like and I'll submit it to my employer and forward it to the recruiting agent who got me my job 2 years ago...he usually has his finger on the pulse. On the travel side of things I'd recommend staying somewhere along a train line...its so easy into the CBD on the train. I've done both car and train and train is by far the better option in my view.

From where I live in Hallett Cove its 30 mins journey and you're 10 mins from 5 different beaches (Hallett Cove Beach itself isn't very good...rocky rather than sand really). We love it for location. Brighton is on the train line and the beach...but housing is more expensive there. To the North there is Henley Beach... gorgeous...not sure about trains from there though...and parking in the city is rather expensive even though the traffic isn't too bad.

Hope that helps a bit. Congratulations again :)

Guest Paula H

Congratulations.

We too are moving to Adelaide in Sept :):):)

Guest dishco
    Hi Dishco,

Congratulations !

I work in IT too. I'd advise getting on www.seek.com.au just a few weeks before you leave. I doubt you'd have much luck in securing anything before you arrive...but worth a try. PM me with your CV nearer the time if you like and I'll submit it to my employer and forward it to the recruiting agent who got me my job 2 years ago...he usually has his finger on the pulse. On the travel side of things I'd recommend staying somewhere along a train line...its so easy into the CBD on the train. I've done both car and train and train is by far the better option in my view.

From where I live in Hallett Cove its 30 mins journey and you're 10 mins from 5 different beaches (Hallett Cove Beach itself isn't very good...rocky rather than sand really). We love it for location. Brighton is on the train line and the beach...but housing is more expensive there. To the North there is Henley Beach... gorgeous...not sure about trains from there though...and parking in the city is rather expensive even though the traffic isn't too bad.

Hope that helps a bit. Congratulations again :)

Thanks for the offer Ledges, much appreciated i will most definitely forward you my CV closer to the time.

Thanks also for the advice on where to live, it's a bit of information overload at the moment. Just going onto estate agent websites and scrolling through all the available properties is a little bit daunting. Having some sort of criteria of where to go and why is very useful.

Guest dishco
    Congratulations.

We too are moving to Adelaide in Sept :):):)

Congratulations to you too! :smile: