Guest Eric Adelaide

Frogs welcome ?

Guest Eric Adelaide

Hi everybody,

My name is Eric (I am 39), and with Annabelle (37), Axel (8), Dorian (6) and #3 (minus 4 months), we are to move to Adelaide by the beginning of January.

Well, yes....we have a terrible flaw : we are French.

(silence)

Anyway, I found this forum very helpful, for there are so few French people in Adelaide. I hope you will welcome us despite our terrible fate and the fact we will win The Crunch :wink:...

Of course, we know very little of Australia and Adelaide, and I was the only one able to visit for 3 days the capital city of SA. But, I had a great job offer with full relocation, so, it was a once-in-a-life opportunity, and we seized it.

As there is no French school in Adelaide, we will refer to PIA advices for good primary schools, and we do not know where we will live, except that Brighton, Grange, Henley seems to be fine places. As for rent or buy, we will see when in the place.

Thanks for any advice for newbyes like us.

Eric

PS: if that can help my case, one of my cousin married an English woman.

PPS: if that does not help, think of us as future Aussies :cute:

Welcome Eric!

We are moving to Adelaide in April from the UK and have a nearly 2-year old called Tabitha, we too are unsure of where to stay so have a wide area to look around once we arrive!

There are so many helpful people and available advice on this forum so sure you will be warmly welcomed wherever you are from!

Happy to meet up once we are all over there if you're stuck for people to get to know, we will know nobody and could always do with brushing up on my French a bit more! ;)

Good luck with the whole process!! x

The French are coming.....the French are coming.......the French are coming.........lock up your children!!

Only joking hope you settle well in my homeland and city and I am sure you will get plenty of advice on anything you ask and even more advice on things you don't ask!:eek:

All the best with the move,

Mis

Hello and welcome :) More than happy to have you join us. Sporting occasion aside when we might be cheering for different teams.

Your English is excellent I must say.

I think the areas you are looking at are all good. All near to each other. I think you'd find schools to choose from anyways. Perhaps have a look in the Education section and post there about specific areas and any questions you may have about schooling. Also take a look at this thread to see if any schools in the areas you are looking at are listed

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/education/17414-primary-school-reviews.html

See you around the forum :)

Guest Roo1

Fantatic first post Eric, your the first French guy I've met with a sense of humour! lol (only joking).

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your emigration.

Judi

Bonjour Eric, Annabelle and kids :)

Don't worry about being French.....at least you aren't Scottish lol! ;)

Good luck with your visa application etc!

:smile: LC

If you wish your littlies to mix with other little Frenchlets to keep up their language etc you can pack them off to the Alliance Francaise in Wayville which has http://www.af.org.au/what_we_offer/children/petite_ecole_francophone_petits.htm and http://www.af.org.au/what_we_offer/children/petite_ecole_francophone_moyens.htm.

There are plenty of good Australian schools here and a French family I met recently said their kids have blossomed and become so much more confident in the year they have been in Australian school. Bonne Chance avec the move.

Guest ladyarkles

Welcome to PIA, and what a great first post!

Now we can all practice our schoolroom French on you; which in my case involves asking you if you know where Pierre has put his hat.

So, in the words of Del Trotter "apres moi la deluge et fromage frais!"

del-boy.jpg

~ Rachel

Guest Eric Adelaide

Thanks everybody for your great massages...err...messages (sorry, I'm French...I told you but you would not listen...).

@Tori : sounds great ! Be sure we will gladly help you get the rust out of your French.

@Misplaced : do not forget your pets outside either, we also have two wild tigers whose names will terrify the baldest emu ever born in Oz....err....I meant boldest (sorry, French accent...). The names are Moustache (well, "whiskers") and Shaman (i.e. almighty Magus from the dark side of the Earth in English, but you had already guessed).

@snifter: Thx a lot for the link to Education.

@mattyeg : remind me to bring you a bottle of French single malt from Britanny that you may try in a blind test with fellow experts, it will baffle you. And hurra for the Auld Alliance from 1295 !

@leeds1877 : all the best for your move, be sure we will be honored.

@Kris : (bowing) my pleasure...I may try that everyday but I would not want a warrant on my name for unfair humour at an even less fair time of the day.

@Roo1 : French people have humour, but Parisians don't (anyway, they are not really French in Paris, you know...but let this be our little secret).

@Lazy Cow : how dare you !? Between Auld Alliance and Entente Cordiale, would I have to choose ?

@Rachiegarlo : Thanks, I contacted Véronique from the Alliance Française and she wholeheartedly welcomed us from down under, before we come here in flesh and bones.

@ladyarkles : where did you get this picture of me ? I thought nobody could reveal my secret identity....

as for official stuff , the PR visa is being processed, we should have the "blanc-seing" by summer (well, on this side of Mars).

CU all, I will do my best to try to be the worst French ever heard on your forum (I said "try"...you noticed ?)

"Messieurs les Anglais, tirez les premiers"

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

G'day Eric!

Welcome to the madhouse, I think you'll fit in well here :tongue:

Guest ladyarkles

Oh Eric, you are going to love it here on PIA.

~ Rachel

Guest bigal

Mon dieu

Not sure wat Dellboy would say.

bienvenue mon cherie!

Guest Eric Adelaide

@Tamara : Thx, I wish you all the best also.

@bigal : I think we should slow down, we barely know each other ;-)... In other words, if you say "Mon chéri" to a French bloke or "ma chérie" to a French girl, you are likely to live an unforgetable moment in the next seconds to come (Remember, we are frogs, and we all know the story "The Princess and the Frog").

I see a French expat every week ...... I shall ask her next week if she knows of any groups for French people. She's from Lyon via Canada and has not been in Adelaide very long having lived in rural NSW for a little while.

Guest adzm124

Salut Monsieur! Vous habitez òu en France?

Cordialement

Adam

Guest Eric Adelaide

@Wizzywozza ; that is great ! I'd love to connect with her, if she wants.

@adzm124 : We live in south Britanny, near Lorient, here it is as a pinpoint.

carte.jpg

For anyone who needs it, I localized my current city on a wine map of France...-I was born in Burgundy...another flaw).

And dont worry about LC name says it all.LOL

I am very proud of my name, :tongue:

BTW an moins je ne suis pas écossais - ou en anglais!

Alors la!!!

:smile:LC

..-I was born in Burgundy...another flaw).

Don't be too apologetic, Eric.....after all, in a few years you might be Australian! Waaaay better lol!

Mwah,

La Vache Paresseuse

PS Think I have now pretty much exhausted my O'level French lol :)

Guest teamV
    @Wizzywozza ; that is great ! I'd love to connect with her, if she wants.

@adzm124 : We live in south Britanny, near Lorient, here it is as a pinpoint.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4293[/ATTACH]

For anyone who needs it, I localized my current city on a wine map of France...-I was born in Burgundy...another flaw).

We stayed around that area for 3 weeks last year ,really enjoyed it.

Kev.