Cheap accommodation for a couple?

emma&vas

Hi all

Does anybody have any advice on where to stay when we first arrive? (We are arriving in May) Everything that i look at seems so expensive! Should we look at serviced apartments or fully furnished rentals? Im not too keen on going into hostels, been there done that scene!!

Any advice on what you did would be great.

Thanks in advance

Emma :confused:

Regarding the furnished rental aspect of your question because I know a bit more about that. If you find a furnished rental you like then check out what the going rate is in that area for a similar house (as a long term rental) and then take into account whether the furnished rental includes utilities, gardening. Most long term rentals don't provide anything other than the house - you need to provide and maintain your own whitegoods tvs etc. Also bear in mind like anyone else we need to maintain the property and replace furniture, appliances as it gets older and yes like everyone else we have a profit margin. You can tell if it is fair or not by comparing to other types of accommodation including caravan parks that provide cabins and some of them can be very nice and some can be basic which is up to people's expectation. Also going direct to the owner if they have their own website will be cheaper because going through some of the commercial sites for the same property incurs a commission to the owner.

Guest Guest75
Regarding the furnished rental aspect of your question because I know a bit more about that. If you find a furnished rental you like then check out what the going rate is in that area for a similar house (as a long term rental) and then take into account whether the furnished rental includes utilities, gardening. Most long term rentals don't provide anything other than the house - you need to provide and maintain your own whitegoods tvs etc. Also bear in mind like anyone else we need to maintain the property and replace furniture, appliances as it gets older and yes like everyone else we have a profit margin. You can tell if it is fair or not by comparing to other types of accommodation including caravan parks that provide cabins and some of them can be very nice and some can be basic which is up to people's expectation. Also going direct to the owner if they have their own website will be cheaper because going through some of the commercial sites for the same property incurs a commission to the owner.

Like what Kris said................

Lots of the furnished rentals available will be aimed more at families, so as a couple they may well look quite expensive. You would probably do best to look for a furnished unit as opposed to a house: have a look at sites such as http://www.realestateowners.net.au or on the general realestate sites such as http://www.realestate.com.au or http://www.domain.com.au

Had a quick search and came up with these places http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/property-unit-with-1-bedroom-in-sa/list-1?misc=furnished&source=refinements which are around the $300 per week mark - but you may find rates are a little higher for short term rental: just depends how long you are thinking of staying there

Guest Guest8609

I agree with Emma about the prices and the fact that it's difficult to find furnished short-term stay for a couple.

I'm also looking for such an accomodation, Diane - thank you for the links!

Guest Reenz
Everything that i look at seems so expensive!

I wonder where you got that idea? This place perhaps?

http://www.realestateview.com.au/Real-Estate/17-fitzroy-terrace-fitzroy/Property-Details-rent-residential-3571395.html

I can't believe it comes furnished. Wow! Maybe if a few families got together they could buddy up and have the best share-house ever! :biglaugh:

Guest Helchops

Eww...I hate the look of that place!!

I'd rather live in a tiny comfortable house than that huge atrocity!! It'd be like living with the queen for a week...I'd be frightened of putting my feet on the sofa...sorry, I mean gilt edged chesterfield!

Guest SA Great

Hi guys.

If you are looking for some short term accomodation then a friend of mine lives alone at Woodcroft and has half of his house to rent out. To be honest he is hardly ever there so you would have the place to yourselves for most of the time. Some other PIA members lived there for a year and really enjoyed it. They have now bought a house so he has 3 spare bedrooms. Let me know if you are interested and I will pass on his details.

Hi all

Does anybody have any advice on where to stay when we first arrive? (We are arriving in May) Everything that i look at seems so expensive! Should we look at serviced apartments or fully furnished rentals? Im not too keen on going into hostels, been there done that scene!!

Any advice on what you did would be great.

Thanks in advance

Emma :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marcandjo

hi google propect place, this is a 2 bedroom self contained unit, clsoe to city and I have rented it for clients through work, very clean and tidy, and has everything you need. alternatively some people on this site have rented out rooms in the past, we have a spare furnished double room, and are an easy going family if you wanted to rent a room and have some info, we are still learning have been here a year. (our house is 4 bed, two bathrooms, two living and large kitchen).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bather's

I will second that this place is fantastic.

We are the other PIA users who stayed here. We had a fantastic year have made some wonderful freinds.

Hi guys.

If you are looking for some short term accomodation then a friend of mine lives alone at Woodcroft and has half of his house to rent out. To be honest he is hardly ever there so you would have the place to yourselves for most of the time. Some other PIA members lived there for a year and really enjoyed it. They have now bought a house so he has 3 spare bedrooms. Let me know if you are interested and I will pass on his details.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest orange100

Hi there, please, if any can help us find a place to live for 3-4 weeks for 450-500 beginning from June 21. We are a couple with two 4 and 3 year-old children (overall 4 people) with permanent visa 176.