Whyalla

Guest John2012

Guest Vic Gaff

It depends what your expectations are, Whyalla is an industrial town set up for steel production predominantly. Everything there is stained red in colour from iron ore. I have been on a couple of occasions with work, the people seem nice but it is not a place that I would choose to live.

• 4 weeks later...

No mines in Whyalla, iron ore extraction is around Iron Knob. Whyalla was the first place I lived in Australia, arrived in 1965. It was very different back then, very dynamic, lots of work, about 45,000 pop at that time. I lived there for three years, completed my high school education and moved to Adelaide and then worked all over the State for many years. Whyalla takes a bit of getting used to, it's not Adelaide obviously. Housing is relatively affordable but with the BHP Billiton mining developments further north there may be spinoff industries in the region and I would think housing would start to become more expensive in Whyalla. If you like the outdoors though it's good. 4 hour drive from Adelaide which isn't bad. Also about 45 minutes to Port Augusta and about another hour to the Flinders Ranges (Quorn and Hawker and north to Wilpena Pound and Blinman, 4WD advisable). South from Whyalla good fishing on the Gulf, down to Cowell and other coastal villages. About 3 hours to Port Lincoln which is a nice trip. Whyalla is what you make it though.

Whyalla is not a good place to move to. There is only one main employer in the town (One Steel). One Steel's future in Whyalla is under a cloud at the moment, but is committed to another four years as least. The town has a population of around 25,000 but seems to be shrinking. Very hot during summer and not a lot to do. The town seems to have plenty of sports clubs etc. but not much else to offer. It's fairly remote, the next town is Port Augusta - also not much to do there either.

Try moving to Adelaide - Whyalla would be a last resort for me.