What is normal procedure for renting (first timer)

Guest The painter

Guest The painter

Hi, I am just recently arrived in Australia and I want to rent a home. I am looking for a home with 2/3 bedrooms to suit my family.

What is the normal procedure regarding renting?

What info will I need to have at hand?

Will I need references, as I own my house back home and have never rented before?

Do you go to view the house and then express an interest in it?

Regarding houses under the NRAS scheme, do you need to register for NRAS scheme or can letting agent sort this out?

Thanks for your help.

If there's anything else that you think is useful, just let me know......

Guest ebstar

Hi, Some places you arrange a time to view and others you just go along to the open.Some of the agents will have paperwork for you to fill in if your interested and others you have to ask for it and let the agent know of your interest.The more you have available the better but start with passport,driving licences,bank statements for proof of funds.You may be able to get a reference from the place where you are currently staying. When you find the right property just let the agent know of your interest and ask what documents they will need. Sorry i'm not sure about NRAS. Good luck and welcome to Oz.

Guest USA soon just SA

We are in a similar situation. We own our own house, and haven't rented for 16 years. What type of letters of recommendation would be sufficient? Maybe a letter from our banker saying that we have never paid the mortgate late, perhaps? Any ideas? surely we are not the first to face this situation.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nige69

hi was just wondering if you have found a rental yet i am in warradale in a three bedroom house i am breaking the lease on its $410 a week pm me if interested

Guest vetinoz

i am also breaking lease on a 2 bed property in pasadena, $300/week if you are interested. close to city, on major bus route. message me if interested.