ian mc

One of the World leaders

Guest SA Great

Yes but dont you think a lot of it is due to the high Australian dollar. If you look at the exchange rate compared to other currencies then our wages are extremely high as well which covers the higher price of electricity.

Yes but dint you think a lot of it is due to the high Australian dollar. If you look at the exchange rate compared to other currencies then our wages are extremely high as well which covers the higher price of electricity.

I don't think it is high because of exchange rates. If the dollar falls does that mean the cost of electricity will fall I don't think so. The electric company's will play on the carbon tax and push the price up further.

Guest SA Great

But what I am saying Ian is that the price of a kw in UK is about 14p. Ours is about 28c. now because of the strong Aussie dollar this equates to about 20c. Whereas the average wage is about 2 dollars to the pound. Therefore, this would be about 28c which is the same amount compared to what you earn, if that makes sense!!!

Sorry but you have lost me a bit on that post what ever the cost of a KW in the UK it still works out that SA have the 3rd highest prices in the world there is no point converting back to pounds when you are paying and making $, If it was all to do with exchange rates that would be great when the $ drops the price of electricity would drop but that isint going to happen its only going to go up as it says tipped to be number one in the world by july.

But what I am saying Ian is that the price of a kw in UK is about 14p. Ours is about 28c. now because of the strong Aussie dollar this equates to about 20c. Whereas the average wage is about 2 dollars to the pound. Therefore, this would be about 28c which is the same amount compared to what you earn, if that makes sense!!!

Exchange rates might have a slight effect, but it's not the main factor. Aussies pay a higher percentage of their household income to utilities than almost any other developed place, and this doesn't fluctuate because of exchange rates. Electricity is damn expensive here regardless of how the $ moves up or down in the markets.

Jim